New Enclosure i built today

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andy1990

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Enclosure i built today + Instructions how to

hey, everyone today i built a enclosure cost me $80.98 i bought everything from bunning warehouse, and i just wanted to know what everyone thought if you had better ideas for it, it is my first one never built one before beside fish tanks and there easy unless you cant cut glass... but yer tell me your thoughts on this please. thanks

now if anyone wants to know how to make this let me know cos im building another one tomorrow and i can take photos and tell you steps and measurements. cos this would be a good for a kid and his dad to build together cos well if i was a dad and my son wanted me to buy him a enclosure for Christmas well.... 250 bucks later from the pet shop or you could spends $80 depends how rich you are i guess or how lazy you are haha.

DSCF0327.jpgDSCF0329.jpgDSCF0330.jpgDSCF0331.jpgDSCF0332.jpgDSCF0333.jpg

Now i have had a few people ask me how to make this so i made a quick guide on how to built it. thanks to the people who liked it.

step 1.

go to bunnings warehouse and buy all the bits

1200mm x 400mm x 0.7mm ply wood
42mm x 19mm x 1200mm pine timber
600mm x 1200mm x 3mm plastic sheet
20mm x 1.6mm x 1000mm aluminium strips
400mm x 1600mm of steel mess / heavy duty fly screen
6x20 screws
6x25 screws
8x65 screws
glue
black plastic
flood light

DSCF0339.jpgDSCF0338.jpg

step 2.

cut the 1200mm ply in half to make 2 600mm pieces. 1 piece will be the base and the other piece will be the back.

DSCF0341.jpg

step 3.

cut the pine wood to the length of the base and use glue and screws to fix into place.

DSCF0342.jpg

step 4.

do the same for the top and side pieces just measures the back to get the right lengths for the sides.

DSCF0343.jpg

step 5.

fix it all together using the glue and screws and i used clamps to hold it all in place its helps alot and check that its all square.

DSCF0347.jpg

step 6

divide the plastic sheet into 3 lots of 400mm, you can use a normal wood saw if you want.

DSCF0349.jpgDSCF0351.jpg

step 7

cut the aluminium strips and steel mess to the correct lengths and fix it using the 6 x 20 screws, don't glue it cos if you get a hole u can take it off and replace it.

DSCF0353.jpgDSCF0350.jpg

step 8

fix in the light how you wish

DSCF0356.jpg

step 9

lay down black plastic for easy clean out of the cage / protect the wood from water and crap.

DSCF0357.jpg

step 10

fill your enclosure with whatever you fancy i put rocks and dirt from the garden in there.

DSCF0358.jpg

and yer that's its you have a enclosure for under 100 bucks.

​ disclaimer of liability: i will be not held responsible if anyone is killed or injured when trying to make this enclosure. thankyou

Attachments

• DSCF0346.jpg
    DSCF0346.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
might build an enclosure in the future and i will use this. 1 question how much did it all cost. what are you putting in there

Can't complain with that price. Nice work mate and very nice of you to add the how-to part as well. For the next one, I'd personally suggest maybe a quick paint on the timber (even spray paint) would make it look a bit more professional

how many pieces of ply did you build?

did you buy?*

haha i was on my phone sorry for all the miss spelling. How many pieces of pine did you buy?

Last edited:
might build an enclosure in the future and i will use this. 1 question how much did it all cost. what are you putting in there

it cost under 100 bucks, and i want to get a snake but there so expensive i went to the pet shop and there like 400 bucks.

how many pieces of ply did you build?

did you buy?*

haha i was on my phone sorry for all the miss spelling. How many pieces of pine did you buy?

just the one piece and i cut it in half to make the floor and back.

thanks everyone for the comments.

What sort of snake are you after? You should be able to find one for cheaper than that in the for sale section here

Yeah mate I would also suggest looking on Gumtree and that for snakes. Thats how I found mine and I got mine for $150 each in comparison to some pet shops charging upwards of $350-$400 :D

Can't complain with that price. Nice work mate and very nice of you to add the how-to part as well. For the next one, I'd personally suggest maybe a quick paint on the timber (even spray paint) would make it look a bit more professional
and help seal the timber

depends what snake your getting and what age. Hatchling GTP's are like $1000-2000, carpet pythons can vary from $100-300+ as babies. You will probably need to change the light and the substrate if your looking for a snake

hey thats an awsome tank u have made givin me ideas as i am looking at making 2 tanks for new snakes that im getting next yr ima see if i can tweak this design a lil to suit what im looking at doing thanx heaps for shairing :D

depends what snake your getting and what age. Hatchling GTP's are like $1000-2000, carpet pythons can vary from $100-300+ as babies. You will probably need to change the light and the substrate if your looking for a snake

wat do i need to change about it??? how do i change it to suit? yer i really would like one of thos GTP green snakes ones.

i got my childrens python for $80.
how many pieces of pine timber did you buy?

o yer, ummm this will be the third time ive said this in the post but ill say it again so its better understood its the 1 piece of 1200mm x 400mm x 0.7mm ply wood and i cut it in half to make the floor and back. :)

hey thats an awsome tank u have made givin me ideas as i am looking at making 2 tanks for new snakes that im getting next yr ima see if i can tweak this design a lil to suit what im looking at doing thanx heaps for shairing :D

thanks man glad u liked it.

since i had left over bits i built another one if anyone was interested in purchasing it just PM a offer or swap a snake or lizard lol. pic below

IMG_0183.jpg

Last edited:
in that case then i would go for a little python out of the carpet python group. I would choose a stimson because they are small and that could be its full time enclosure. I dont keep stimi's but i do keep other types of large pythons and i would recommend changing the substrate to aspen snake bedding then look at care sheets and find out what other items you will need to buy.
I have some friends that have these snakes and they say that the males are a bit more agressive than the females but they can be handled and dont grow big so this is a great beginner reptile.
heres some websites: http://www.davidvella.com.au/ChildrensPython_dvella.pdf
http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/stimsons.pdf
Stimson’s Python | Antaresia Stimsoni | Information and Care Sheet for Children and Beginners

just a question mate how much did the plexi glass cost you

in that case then i would go for a little python out of the carpet python group. I would choose a stimson because they are small and that could be its full time enclosure. I dont keep stimi's but i do keep other types of large pythons and i would recommend changing the substrate to aspen snake bedding then look at care sheets and find out what other items you will need to buy.
I have some friends that have these snakes and they say that the males are a bit more agressive than the females but they can be handled and dont grow big so this is a great beginner reptile.
heres some websites: http://www.davidvella.com.au/ChildrensPython_dvella.pdf
http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/stimsons.pdf
Stimson’s Python | Antaresia Stimsoni | Information and Care Sheet for Children and Beginners

thanks man, i would like one that wont bite me, ill look into thos links

just a question mate how much did the plexi glass cost you

cost me 34.95 if u want perspex its about 50-60 bucks but u will get a smaller size as well its really costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back