New jungle python hiding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jungle_smith

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just got a new 2 yr old female jungle python and she is spending allot of time in the hide on the tank floor. But i have heard jungles tend to prefer up in branches.

she fed over a week ago, isn't due to shed apparently.

Is this normal behavior or is she still settling into her new home which she was moved to on friday?

It's fine - normal even. Mine come out at night to "hunt", but during the day only comes out to bask.

They try to feel secure for various reasons, and if they feel exposed in the branches they'll move back to their hide. If she is still settling in, she'll do her exploring while she's alone. She might be a little more stressed than usual from the move. It's no big deal, give her space until she gets used to everything. Keep handling to a minimum at first. She might not eat the first time...

Hi ramy,

Thanks. I the last two nights she has ventured out at about 10 pa. The first time she went back to the hide at about 3 am. She was back in the hide by the time I got up this morning at 4:30 am. I was watching her both nights and she has been very active exploring her new enclosure

I know jungles are a bit flighty how long would you think before she may be settled enough for handling? I was thinking of trying a smaller feed tonight or later this week

I wouldn't be too worried about handling/feeding. As long as it's not distressed hold it if you want. Give him a good size feed and he will be greatful. If he isn't hungry or doesn't want it he won't have it.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be too worried about handling/feeding. As long as it's not distressed hold it if you want. Give him a good size feed and he will be greatful. If he isn't hungry or doesn't want it he won't have it.

I know jungles are a bit flighty how long would you think before she may be settled enough for handling? I was thinking of trying a smaller feed tonight or later this week

Sorry, my last post wasn't clear... I was trying to say "be prepared that she might take time".

I generally don't handle them until after their first meal. I'd offer her food as per her usual schedule, knowing she might not eat it (and not be concerned yet). If she takes it, she's not stressed. Go for your life. If it takes more than a month to eat, I'd start considering what might be causing the problem.

Note: the not handling them is my opinion, not law. Sometimes someone will post with a new snake who they get out regularly and offer it food regularly because they're scared it'll starve... and then wonder why it feels over crowded. If it seems stressed, give it space and try to remove sources of stress. And don't panic. If it's just hiding, it's doing what snakes do.

Snakes like to hide, if its eating it should be fine to handle.

Hi all,

Quick update, offered my girl a weanling rat last night which she took without hesitation and ii would say she devoured it as opposed to eating. It was gone with a big yawn to finish in about 2 minutes.

she then retreated to the hide. When I got up this morning to go to work she was laying out along the log and didn't seem fussed that I checked her water and gave the cage a splash for humidity. she raised her head had a couple of tounge flicks and remained where she was so i think she is settled which is great.

Thanks for the help

adam

Yeah mine is doing the same thing but it's normal especially since they just moved. But he loves climbing the branches I found and for the time being loves the hollowed out rock he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back