Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is ilegal to touch or photograph wild reptiles without a permit in many cases, or disturb habitat (eg moving wood or rocks) in order to search for reptiles. Does this mean it will now be against the site's rules to post pictures of such things, or to discuss trips involving them?

It is ilegal to touch or photograph wild reptiles without a permit in many cases, or disturb habitat (eg moving wood or rocks) in order to search for reptiles. Does this mean it will now be against the site's rules to post pictures of such things, or to discuss trips involving them?

Wow. Things are getting pretty bad 'legally'

Good point.

I don't think there would be any problem with people who have photographed an animal in the wild and are showing those photographs (in NSW there is no law preventing you from photographing wild reptiles anyway, I imagine most of the other States are the same). As for touching or capturing them, I think this is something that would be considered on a case-by-case basis. Someone who catches a snake in their backyard and then releases it nearby bush would not be a problem. Another person who catches a bluetongue in the nearby bush and takes it home to put in a tank - that's something we would probably frown upon.

:p

Hix

i thought that the law was that any competent person could wire an appliance, just not the mains.

I'm pretty sure the 'average joe' is not allowed to work on anything that is mains powered. I am qualified for 'test & tag' operations but I'm not allowed to repair anything, even so much as an extension cord!

Good point.

I don't think there would be any problem with people who have photographed an animal in the wild and are showing those photographs (in NSW there is no law preventing you from photographing wild reptiles anyway, I imagine most of the other States are the same). As for touching or capturing them, I think this is something that would be considered on a case-by-case basis. Someone who catches a snake in their backyard and then releases it nearby bush would not be a problem. Another person who catches a bluetongue in the nearby bush and takes it home to put in a tank - that's something we would probably frown upon.

:p

Hix

:lol: Sound like you're going soft on your own rules ;) The laws (or at least the interpretation of them) must have changed if there are no restrictions of photographing them, but it's certainly illegal to touch them or molest their habitat (such as moving wood or rocks with the intention of finding them). Where to draw the line is difficult - it's difficult to get upset about someone for gently pushing a snake off a walking path for its own protection, but some people have certainly gone too far, but been tolerated and/or praised by even the moderators. I'm just curious, not having a go at you or telling you how to run your site :)

i'm with you sdaji,
in qld it's illegal to photograph any wild animal, whats next, no intergrade or hybrid pics because some say it's illegal?????
i think sometimes things can be over moderated, but not on other issues, just my say, not having a go at mods or members, but if you crack down on certain illegal things you should go the whole way, and as with most laws it's how they are looked at, it's also illegal in qld to make money on native reptiles and birds, does that mean no more 4 sale adds or putting a limit on the amount you can sell?????????

I'm not having a go at the moderators, I'm just curious to see how they go about their impossible task of keeping everyone happy. Obviously they can't completely stop people from encouraging anything illegal (at least without banning posting!). For example (I'll use a QLD one for you), it is technically illegal to breed reptiles under any circumstances in QLD, as breeding mutations is illegal and every living thing carries them. Clearly when talking about mutatations, they just don't know what they're talking about, but the spirit of the law is that you can't breed things like albinoes, striped Carpets, etc, but I have no doubt that the APS moderators will not delete all posts pertaining to QLDers breeding albino Carpets and selectively bred Blonde Macs!

Whatever they're paying you, it isn't enough, Hix ;)

thats why they dont pay him anything LOL
Sdaji, i remember looking at some of the conservation laws in genetics at uni, the people who wrote them didn't have a clue.

in qld it's illegal to photograph any wild animal, whats next, no intergrade or hybrid pics because some say it's illegal?????

Great Idea! :p

Would be nice to see the Criminal Hybrid breeders stop promoting their illegal Hybrid creations :)

Steve i like the way you think.

thats why they dont pay him anything LOL
Sdaji, i remember looking at some of the conservation laws in genetics at uni, the people who wrote them didn't have a clue.

Unfortunately, the laws are set by the government, not biologists. Unfortunately, the biologists they do consult aren't always the best ones around, which isn't surprising as they often don't have the ability to recognise the good from the bad. Having said that, it makes little difference and doesn't appreciably harm conservation if we are banned from breeding albinoes etc, which is their intention. Perhaps they are scared that a super race of albino Carpets with red and blue polka dots could take over the country, and then the world.

Would be nice to see the Criminal Hybrid breeders stop promoting their illegal Hybrid creations :)

but thats the point, who says it's illegal, thats my point, you think it is, i think it isn't, so who wins???

it's legal in nsw,

Thats the major problem here. You have misdefined hybrid.

A hybrid would be a water with a scrubby, a BHP with a childreni, etc, etc.

Not the interbreeding or selective breeding within subspecies. The sooner you realise this, and many others as well, the issue will be much clearer.

Not the interbreeding or selective breeding within subspecies. The sooner you realise this, and many others as well, the issue will be much clearer.

The sooner i realise this???

In my post i made no attempt to define what is or isnt a Hybrid!!

personally im yet to see a bredli x woma or something of the like here. besides, we've hadthe discussion before. A diamond x carpet is not a hybrid because they are the same species. Albeit subspecies, but the same species none the less.

If i've offended i apologise, my comment was meant to be informative, not a personal; attack.

Its been a long day :D

Informative, perhaps for someone who needed to be informed...lol

Dont worry i didnt see it as a personal attack, actually i dont even see why you quoted my post at all, seeing as though i havnt displayed any ignorance regarding what constitutes Hybrid...

Hybrids are illegal in some states... so showing pictures of these beasts might be promoting something ilegal.... thats all :)

Last edited:

"Hybrid", "Interspecific hybrid" and "intergeneric hybrid" are different terms; they are not synonymous. What you are describing is "intergeneric hybrids", that is, hybrids produced by crossing different genera. Interspecific hybrids are crosses between things like Carpets and Scrubbies, or Blotched Blue-tongued Skinks with Common Blue-tongued Skinks. "Hybrid" just means a cross between two things which are different in some way. It is a general term for any hybrid, whether it is a cross between a person with curly hair and a person with straight hair, or a cross between a plant and a human (if someone managed to do such a thing). An albino crossed with a wildtype will give hybrid offspring. Not Interspecific hybrids or intergeneric hybrids, but still hybrids in the true sense of the word. A Diamond Carpet crossed with a Coastal Carpet, according to the currently accepted taxonomy, will produce intersubspecific hybrid offspring.

If you want to say one type of cross is not a hybrid, you have to say which type of hybrid you are refering to. You might say "I don't like hybrids which are interspecific/intersubspecific or greater", which seem to be the most popular two viewpoints, even if the people holding them don't have the vocubulary necessary to explain them. I personally don't like "mild" hybrids (such as intersubspecific) because they muddy things up, but I don't mind "extreme" hybrids as much, because it's more clear what we're dealing with. I'm not sure how popular this ideal is, but my guess is that it is rare. This is too complex for the average reptile keeper to bother with, so I have little doubt that the colloquial usage of the word "hybrid" will continue to be vague and incorrect in herpetocultural circles.

The sooner you realise this, and many others as well, the issue will (probably) be much less clear (to most) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back