New setup heating question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin123

Reaction score
Hi I'm just setting up a new enclosure for my daughters spotted python and I was hoping to get some advice on heating it.

the enclosure is 60x60x90 it has a mesh lid and two small vents one on each side.

im using a 75w ceramic heat lamp and I have a 15w UVB flouro but the light doesn't put out much heat at all.

I have the sensor in one of the corners about halfway up the tank and the thermostat is set to 31.

the temp outside the enclosure is always at 23.

Attached are two photos showing the temps at different parts of the tank one with the heat source at the front and one with it at the back.

The problem I have is is that it's not getting hot enough for the heat source to turn off at all, I want to get more heat to the bottom of the enclosure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.image.jpgimage.jpg
I have more hides for it than the ones shown in the in photos just trying to get a good spot to place them in.

Hi I'm just setting up a new enclosure for my daughters spotted python and I was hoping to get some advice on heating it.

the enclosure is 60x60x90 it has a mesh lid and two small vents one on each side.

im using a 75w ceramic heat lamp and I have a 15w UVB flouro but the light doesn't put out much heat at all.

I have the sensor in one of the corners about halfway up the tank and the thermostat is set to 31.

the temp outside the enclosure is always at 23.

Attached are two photos showing the temps at different parts of the tank one with the heat source at the front and one with it at the back.

The problem I have is is that it's not getting hot enough for the heat source to turn off at all, I want to get more heat to the bottom of the enclosure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have more hides for it than the ones shown in the in photos just trying to get a good spot to place them in.

- - - Updated - - -

Also you don't want more heat at the bottom. The bottom temps are good. But you do want the max temp to be under 34 degrees anywhere in that enclosure.
Placing the thermostat probe where the 41 degree reading is, would be the best thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

There's nothing wrong with the temps in the second picture. Could bump it up a degree or two though. That lil python also needs tiny hides. They like to feel snug and secure. So a hide where three sides of its body is touching the hide is perfect. They squeeze into the smallest hides.

- - - Updated - - -

What sort of thermostat is it? Dimming? on off?

- - - Updated - - -

If the room temp is 23, then you cant get a minimum temp under that in the enclosure.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately that enclosure isn't the best set up for a spotted. If it was on its side it would be better. Spotteds are more suited to a longer viv with less height, as they prefer to spend more time down low, when they have the optimum set up. It also makes getting a nice heat gradient across the viv easier.

- - - Updated - - -

A juvie carpet python would do well in that viv though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask why your room temp is 23 degrees constantly?

If it is due to air con then you would be better off turn your air con up slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back