Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty_C

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just have a few questions, we just purchased a house which has a massive pond with several gold fish, Ive always wanted a turtle, but I keep hearing the goldys will become turtle food if I was to add them to the pond.
After doing a lot of reading, I came across this website, Ive always had a fasination with snakes and after reading some of the posts and seeing lots of images, Im starting to lean towards a python. As well as the fasination there is also a fear, so my questions are:

What would be a very good beginner snake, (something that doesnt get to big I guess)?

Are snakes high maintenance pets?

Do they hurt when they bite? :)

That will be a start I guess, Ive been reading the forums for a bit now, very informative.

Cheers
Scotty

childrens python (childreni)
about 1mtr - 1.3mtr can get bigger tho
no they dont hurt wheb they bite but it does shock you tho and yes they bite

stimsons pythons. i use to own one of these and they have beautiful natures.

i got bitten by my coastal carpet when he was abut 4-4.5ft and it didn't hurt but i would imagine a full grown carpet will but seeming you don;t want a large snake it wont hurt much if not atall just alot of blood

lol with childrens u need to pinch the bite mark to make it bleed

any of the antaresia are good first snakes. a snake would have to be about the easiest animal (pet) to look after. but dont buy a snake if you think its going to be like a cat or dog. in away snakes can be boring to some people. their nocternal, so are more active at night. they spend lots of time hinding in their hide. bites from small snakes dont really hurt, its more the shock of it that makes it hurt

lol with childrens u need to pinch the bite mark to make it bleed

*pinches bite* COME ON BLEED DAMMIT! THE PEOPLE ON APS WILL MAKE FUN OF ME IF THERES NO BLOOD!!!! :D

But seriously, anything from the antaresia group (childrens, spotted, stimsons) depends what you like the look of. I lurve my little spotted, but I'm very fussy as to what I like in a stimsons. And then childrens are pretty when they're bubs but tend to lose markings as they mature. So just do a bit of searching for some pics and you'll find what you like.

As for the maintenance part, the worst of it can be the set up. Thermostats are usually around the $100 mark, heat mat or cord probably no more than $50, and then a little tub for the bub. :) If you get a hatchie you will need a little 10L plastic tub with holes drilled in it. Check out this handy dandy link....

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps/guide-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning-93266

hey, i just got my 1st python last year, but hears my opinion as a 1st impression (and as a beginner like you haha)

I got a murray darling carpet python, at about 11 months old. she seems to be growing not too fast, so I reckon if you think you just want a smaller snake because you're a beginner you'd be narrowing down your choices a lot. cause you WILL get used to handling, so if you like the look of one of the bigger pythons and think you could handle it OK a bit later down the track, then maybe getting a juvi python wouldnt be so bad..?
if you're keen on a small one though, theres heaps of info about antaresia pythons on here :)

not really high maintenance, dont have to feed them too often, they dont poo everyday like a cat.. its just when you're setting them up that you have to put in the most effort. have to get the licence, work out enclosure size, any special needs (ie UV for diamonds) temps, etc. after that its pretty simple routine stuff.

ive only been bitten by small pythons but word is not so much :p i reckon crazy ones are cute. (though maybe thats just my skin being unscathed talking haha)

goodluck with it all :) snakes are awesome.

Dogs hurt when they bite and cats can hurt when they scratch and bite.
You can get diamonds or carpets, childrens for your first snak, just make sure you research before you buy.
And good luck.

hey, i just got my 1st python last year, but hears my opinion as a 1st impression (and as a beginner like you haha)

I got a murray darling carpet python, at about 11 months old. she seems to be growing not too fast, so I reckon if you think you just want a smaller snake because you're a beginner you'd be narrowing down your choices a lot. cause you WILL get used to handling, so if you like the look of one of the bigger pythons and think you could handle it OK a bit later down the track, then maybe getting a juvi python wouldnt be so bad..?
if you're keen on a small one though, theres heaps of info about antaresia pythons on here :)

not really high maintenance, dont have to feed them too often, they dont poo everyday like a cat.. its just when you're setting them up that you have to put in the most effort. have to get the licence, work out enclosure size, any special needs (ie UV for diamonds) temps, etc. after that its pretty simple routine stuff.

ive only been bitten by small pythons but word is not so much :p i reckon crazy ones are cute. (though maybe thats just my skin being unscathed talking haha)

goodluck with it all :) snakes are awesome.

I got a nice crazy python here for you.... :D two year old 4 foot coastal that was never handled. LUCKY ME!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Yeah, I just realised that I was talking about antaresias as a first snake, when my first snake was a coastal. BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE!! My first coastal is 1000000 better than all my other snakes (Sorry Theo), but then my other coastal is kinda insane.
So it all comes down to individual snakes. But at one year old my coastal is about 80cm, and my 2 year old is about 4 foot. You will gain confidence as they grow, so just get whatever you want.

Wow, thanks so much for the incredibly fast replies.

I will do some reading then try find a reputible seller in Townsville if there is one.

Cheers again
Scotty

thought that comment might come back to kill me baha. ahwell, everyone can donate their unwanted biting pythons to me :D

any of the carpet pythons would be pretty good first snakes. i have a diamond which is nice, but yeah most pythons would be good :)

Mate, I got a diamond hatchie for my first snake, havn't looked back. She has never bitten and is so easy to handle and is so placid. Stripe is right. It won't become a big snake overnight. Your abilty to handle it will improve as it gets bigger. good luck with your search

I got a Coastal Carpet as my first, He is still growing has been no dramas, use to bite has a hatchie but now he is calm never bites, he is a good feeder but coastals to grow quiet large... thats the only down side seeing as most beginners don't want a massive snake to start out with.

If you want small go with an antaresia but as everyone said get a hatchy of anything and it will take a few years to grow anyway.

Snakes dont grow as fast as some pets so even if you get one that gets up to 2m you will have years to let your experience grow with the snake. They are very low maintenance, just clean them out when they poo...anytime from once a week to once a fortnight or more. Only constant requirement is fresh water, the rest is taken care of by timers on lights and thermostats. Feed once a week when little and then once a fortnight or so when adults.

Look at the websites:
http://www.southernxreptiles.com/
http://www.snakeranch.com.au/

You can see the different types of snakes available and read some of the articles by Doc Rock on the Southern Cross Reptiles site. This will tell you which snakes are more demanding with their requirements but you cant really go wrong with:
Childrens Pythons
Bredli Pythons
Murray Darling Pythons
Diamond Pythons (as long as you have A/C....may be too hot where you live)

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back