Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi team,
Newbie here, just got my license through. I live up here in sunny Cairns and need a little advice. I have just purchased ,(not picked up yet) a 12 month carpet python. What I would like some advice on is where to start with an encloser of some sort. I don't have access to heaps of money so what do I need for a basic set up to start with?? Do I need heaters etc, Right now it's averaging 32 during the day aprox 60-70 % humidity. I have read a bit but there is nothing like getting advice from people who have been there done that etc.
Please help if you can
Thanks Russ :oops:

Welcome Russ, you will get plenty of good advice from the members here. Do you have the skills to make your own enclosure?? If so it will be MUCH cheaper for you.

Howdy and welcome Russ. Regarding your question, what sort of carpet and what are the daytime and night temps of the room in which you plan to keep the snake. I know you said 32 deg but I am assuming you are talking outside temps and you are planning on housing it indoors?

olivehydra said:
Howdy and welcome Russ. Regarding your question, what sort of carpet and what are the daytime and night temps of the room in which you plan to keep the snake. I know you said 32 deg but I am assuming you are talking outside temps and you are planning on housing it indoors?
Hi
I am housing him indoors and beleive it or not we dont use the air cond. Inside temps get down to about 22 - 25 over night and at this time of year up to about 30-34. Humidity is up aroun 65-70 % this time going up next month. Hopfully by Feb I will organise a proper enclosure but I live in a unit and dont have access to tools or a workshop etc. hats why I was asking if I could use any thing else. Fish tank etc to start with???
As I said pretty green HUH!

Russ said:
olivehydra said:
Hi
I am housing him indoors and beleive it or not we dont use the air cond. Inside temps get down to about 22 - 25 over night and at this time of year up to about 30-34. Humidity is up aroun 65-70 % this time going up next month. Hopfully by Feb I will organise a proper enclosure but I live in a unit and dont have access to tools or a workshop etc. hats why I was asking if I could use any thing else. Fish tank etc to start with???
As I said pretty green HUH!

Sounds like you could get away without any heating for the time being IMO. If anything it may be getting a little too warm already so allow for good supply of fresh air if possible. You mustn't get many visitors living in an oven? :wink:

[quote="olivehydra]

You mustn't get many visitors living in an oven? :wink:[/quote]

Visited once in my Green days but that was hot enough and decided nice place to visit but not to call home! :wink:

The fish tank is probably not ideal because of ventilation (and escaping) but a big plastic tub with wheels on the bottom (ease of moving it around and future use elsewhere when you get another enclosure) from GoLo or the Reject Shop is good but remove the lid and place a flyscreen over the top making sure you seal it tight, this is good for ventilation!
JMO, good luck and welcome :lol:

Welcome to the site mate,

I would have to agree with Possum on this one definatly the way to go is the plastic tub. Cheap and easy and works a treat, Newspaper for substraight makes for easy cleaning a largeish water bowl and somthing to climb over/on and you will have one happy snake.

In Hot weather the seal between the flyscreen and plastic lid comes apart. So just use the tip of a soldering iron to melt lots of little holes.

Also just another note, if you use fly wire the snake will most likely rub its nose across it, which can cause some pretty major damage!

Brodie_W said:
Also just another note, if you use fly wire the snake will most likely rub its nose across it, which can cause some pretty major damage!

I agree, you can get fibreglass flyscreen at most hardware shops that isnt abrasive if that is the way your going.

Russ, not much need for heat at the moment is there?
Some people put a heat source in and only put it on for an hour or so in the morning, it's up to you really.
A plastic tub with holes drilled or melted into it is certainly the cheapest way to go (put a piece of timber behind the plastic to stop it cracking if you drill the holes).
You will want something about the length of the snake or a bit bigger as it will grow pretty quickly I'd imagine.

Oh and dont worry about azztech, he was very rude and a bit racist, everyone jumped down his throat for it, and now he isnt much of a happy camper.

*pats azztech on the head* There, there, it will be ok!

good one brodie :roll:

all i'm saying is that by keeping a carpet he's wasting his time.

i'm allowed an opinion hero.

and this -
he was very rude and a bit racist

is a load of trash and you know it.

Lmfao

Is it just me, or is it getting easier and easier to stir people up?

For what is worth mate.

Chat logs are very easy to edit, and i know most of the people on ark, and most of them I wouldnt trust at all, even though they are nice blokes!

I really have no interest in what happened mate, was just stirrin ;)

Azztech said:
good one brodie :roll:

all i'm saying is that by keeping a carpet he's wasting his time.

i'm allowed an opinion hero.

and this -
he was very rude and a bit racist

is a load of trash and you know it.

Why is keeping a carpet a waste of time?

Sorry Russ :oops: Normally everyone is very polite in welcoming new people to the site.

Most of the help in your thread is very helpful towards your enclosure so let us know how you get on. If there are more questions have at it ask away, we are all ears, you should post pics of your new little friend when you pick him up :wink:

brodie and azz, take your arguments outside and leave russ's thread alone.

Russ, you keep whatever snake you want to keep, everyone likes different snakes for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back