Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here is my waste of time carpet snake.

mate i wouldn't worry about heating, like others have said i would be more worried about ventilating the enclosure.

good luck...careful...they are addictive. I have spent a few grand here and there and now have 16 snakes..shhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

brodie and azz, take your arguments outside and leave russ's thread alone.

Russ, you keep whatever snake you want to keep, everyone likes different snakes for different reasons.

said the newbie.

point taken brodie.

OH - i can only assume this person is talking about a coastal carpet python, seeing as they are a fav for beginners due to their price tag, and they are a waste of time because the world doesn't need anymore coastals, coastal breeders would be struggling to give them away this year. if the person is interested in spending the rest of their herping days raising one coastal, good on em. but i imagine they'll catch the bug like the rest of us and want to breed, better off owning something that hasn't been bred to an excess. make sense?

as for russ, sorry to hijack your thread, hope you have a good time here, you'll find i'm the only one in here that doesn't tippy toe around air heads. (this makes me an prick apparently)

here is my waste of time carpet snake.

looks like a coastal with different war paint.

how long before these popular morellia are in the same bed as coastals,
i noticed alot of bredli breeders talking a long time to move their stock this year, only the rarer ones moved quickly.
in fact there is a breeder of bredli on the gold coast i notice STILL selling last years clutch! won't be long before B&Gs are the same.
here in brisbane i have seen so many pairs of B&Gs in peoples collection. almost a pair in everyone in fact. where do you think that will go?

Welcome Russ,

If anyone thinks your Carpet is a waste of time don't worry. I have a Hybrid!!!OMG!!!WTF!!! (<~~Insert sarcasm) which I very quickly discovered doesn't garner much in the way of respect here. :? I think that if you like your Carpet then good on you, I think they are a beautiful breed & great for a first snake. :D I only wish I had the money & space to add one to my collection (of one so far!) :oops:

This is a great site with lots of info it has helped me lots already. I am using a tupperwear container as an enclosure until we get a proper one for my 7 month-old python & he doesn't seem to mind it at all. Lots of air holes drilled in, paper towel substrate, water-bowl, hide & heatmat with thermostat. Easy & cost effective to start with. Maybe you could ask the breeder you are getting your snake from what he has been keeping your little guy in?

How long is he? I can't wait to see some photos.

Regards,

Kath

Thanks guys,
I am overwhelmed with the feed back, as its just for a short time the plastic roll away idea sounds pretty good. Here I come wharehouse.
It's ok Azztech I cop a bit of sh.T now and again too!!
again thanks

i have to say that i can see were azz is going with this, and sought of agree that there are heeps of people with the same snakes and there are heeps, i think it is proof that people are going to start leaning towards great looking hybrids, and im talking in the next few yrs. carpets are a great snake, heck iv got three and a pair of jungles on the way. but i can see a huge gap for hybrids opening up soon. personally i think it will be interesting to see what people make of it. just my 2 cents. as for you Russ, welcome to the site imo it is one of the best, and i think it sounds like you have a great species of snake on the way and i cant wait to see some pictures.

Yeah I agree with you there azztech. But russ can always just get another species in the future if he likes!

Dont worry about being called a prick mate, people think im a prick too hehe. The truth is I just have no patience for some people ;).

At least we arent the only pricks here, about 80 percent of members on this site are! hehe

Good luck with your new snake Russ. Be sure to post some photos of it!

Cheers,

Hey Russ,

Firstly, well done on becoming a reptile owner. Going back on what has been said about what type of enclosure to use I don't think many of the people who have given you advise live in hot and humid conditions. I live in Darwin and have my pythons living in fish tanks with fly screen tops and have had no problems at all with them. I took the measurements of the top to a joinery place with some fly screen and they made a top for about $30. The top slides into the tank nice and snug and the snake cannot budge it. So go and get a nice big tank take it to a joinery place and your all done. On the question of heating, mine live in my room sometimes with the air-con on, and they are very healthy with no heating. All the best.

Hi Mate Ive lived in Darwin for around 10 years, too. If you keep them in ac long enough they do start too suffer. But it wont matter since it seems you only have it on occasionally.

How is the flyscreen sealed to the frame? If its silicone it WILL eventually come off.

Cheers

About time I found someone else from Darwin. With the fly screen he just staples it down then put some timber beading on top of that. It semms to be the cheapest way to buy an enclosure.The only time they have ac is usually at night for a couple of hours. I find it harder up here to keep them cool than warm enough, I have never used any heating what so ever.

Talking about enclosures, my python is getting really big at the moment and I need to get him a bigger one. I was thinking of moving away from tanks as they are long but I want some height. Do you know any places in Darwin that could help.

Thanks. :mrgreen:

Cheers to you all ,I ended up with a see through plastic tub aprox 450 x 350 x 300. My little mate loves it I think. I have a water bowl in the corner ,plenty of vent holes drilled sides and top plus a small hide. I have called him "SPITE" mainly because he has bitten me about six times since I picked him up this afternoon, still he will get used to me and me to him I hope (quickly). He is a Coastal M.S.mcdowelli so I have been told by the breeder. I know he is very common but I guess you are all right ,the bug will bite after this one and well ,we will see. Right now I am told he will settle down in a week or so if I dont give up on him. Little Bu...R draws blood too. He is aprox 900mm .Pics will follow tomorrow , I will get the bosss to take a couple tonight when she gets home. Thanks for the welcome and support.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back