Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KathandStu

Reaction score
Well after much deliberation Stu & I have decided that we couldn't keep an Olive in an enclosure big enough to keep it happy, so we are not going to get one. :cry: It's very dissapointing because I just love Olives but I refuse to make a poor animal unhappy just to cater to my selfish whims.

So we are looking into getting another python which would be more suited to a smaller enclosure. I was hoping you guys could offer some suggestions? (And yes snakes are very addictive...you can all say "I told you so!" now) :wink:

The enclosure will be 1200 long, about 500 deep & about 600 high (though could be made higher if required).

We would love to have a python which is reletivly easy to look after (so no super high humidity needs or hard-to-get diet needs).

We are looking to get a hatchie (as opposed to a yearling or adult) & would pay up to about $300 (plus postage of course).

I am not overly fussed about Diamonds but any other python suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy & Stu

Get a Water Python, they're just like a smaller version of the Olive Python.

MrBredli: Do they need any special requirements? ANy idea how much they cost as hatchies? I will do some research into them now you have my intrest piqued! Thanks. :)

Here Here to that.

Perhaps you should start a poll Kath & Stu so as to see. You could put water python, BHP, Retic & Other. Some one did it recently. Of course, you choose the snakes cause I know a BHP will be more than $300.

No special requirements, looking at $150-250 for a hatchling.

Water pythons are stunning. A mate of mine got a pair a couple of weeks ago, I had never realy taken much notice of them till I saw his !! His female was a real sweety, very placid, the male a bit more firey, but once out of his enclosure was not too bad.

Why not a nice bredl? One of the easiest to look after and close to your price range.

Bredli or one of the childrens group, maybe a patternless childreni they look like mini olives . You could get one of the Darwin form of olives they dont grow as big as other olives (average 2.3-2.5m).

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am really intrigued by water pythons now that MrBredli has brought them to my attention. They are very beautiful looking pythons & as pointed out, not difficult to keep. I am going to do alot of research on Water Pythons & some of the others mentioned (I am not one to make snap decisions). Bredlis are really nice looking too Reptilia...So many choices. I guess I am leaning towards Water's only because I had my heart set on an Olive & there are so many similarities between them. I will definatly look into Bredlis though.

I reckon you can't go wrong with a Stimsons python.
I have some lovely hatchies for sale, feeding well $225.

PM me if your interested, I am just down the road from Parramatta.

Cheers
Neil

KathandStu said:
but I refuse to make a poor animal unhappy just to cater to my selfish whims

Can you come around and talk to my wife.

Reptilia said:
Why not a nice bredl?

I love bredl too Reptilia - (after diamonds though)

Do you have an outside area - maybe you could keep an olive outside like was suggested in the other thread?

did you consider a split level enclosure for your olive? it would increase the floor size, just a thought before you give up on the idea.

Alexr: Unfortunatly I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment block with a tiny (really tiny) balcony so outdoors isn't really an option. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ihaveherps: I must admit that I had briefly entertained the thought for split-leveling an enclosure but we decided that doing that would make the enclosure too tall & as I said I live in a pretty small apartment so anyt piece of furniture that high would totally over-shadow the rest of the room (which wouldn't bother me so much but I wouldn't like to restrict my son any more than he already is with playing space.) Thanks for the suggestion though. Much appreciated. :)

Water Pythons are beautiful, tough and EASY to keep. Just make sure you feed them with tongs - a hungry WP is an awesome thing, especially if it thinks it's tucker time!!!

Go for it.

Jamie.

Others that would suit the enclosure would be jungles because they are at the smaller end of the carpet range. We have one that is a stunning looking animal and an excellent handler.

Womas would also fit in there quite nicely and have great personalities. It is a pity that they are so expensive.

If it is the irridesence of Olives that has apealed to you the humble children's pythons also show irridesence... probably more than olives. A pair of childreni could be housed together in an enclosure of that size where as most other species would do better separated.

--
Herp Shop - http://www.herpshop.com.au
hs_CompleteChondro_thumb.jpg

January 2006 Herp Shop Special
Order your copy of the
** Hot off the press **
"The More Complete Chondro"
during January 2006 and receive a bonus free Oz Herp Thermometer and Oz Herp Hygrometer with each copy.
These neat little units normally sell for $6 each or $10 the pair.
hs_OzHerpTherHygro_thumb.jpg

kath&stu -

I keep water pythons, and they are a great animal, i keep two localities, a QLD & an NT, the NT one is quite short, maybe only 1.3-1.5m... the QLDs are around 1.8m, they are not as active as olives, and ARE often aggresive, but if you hunt around for the right one, you'll be right.

i actually have a pair of the mini-olives that swampie suggested, they won't be ready to breed till next year, but i will have some hatchies available in the future, as adults, they literally look like mini-olives, i have seen some forms that are close, but the parents of my pair are dead-set look alikes. they are of course just a patternless chocolate/olive form of a childreni. great for dropping peoples jaws though.

kath-stu, your snakes should be kept in a spare room out of high traffic, and cooking smell areas, where children cant and dont play if you want to keep them de-stressed. Keeping most snakes in those sort of areas is asking for trouble IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back