Nodding Simson Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanna

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My 6 month old female stimson python was doing something quite strange tonight. I looked into her tank where she was sitting her hut and she poked her head out (she does this often, I like to think that she plays hide and seek with me because she will put her head back in then out again suddenly haha) and started nodding her head at me (up and down.)

Just wondering what this could mean? I've searched other threads and haven't found anything like this relating to pythons. It isn't a sudden jerking at all..it reminds me of a dashboard toy. Any suggestions? Just curious, I'm not worried :) She is eating well (ate yesterday actually) and her temps are fine (hot end 30-32, cool end around 28.) Thinking I may have disturbed her as I turned on the light in the room to look in her tank, is this a sign of aggression? Thanks :)

She be ok ... My male does the odd flattening of tail wiggling it and trying to show he's boss but when I get him out he's a sook... She probably just showing off.... If she feeding well then I would not wry... My male also when temps r up does this more offen and I'm now keeping a strict 33 deg on heater mat and a low end temp of 23/26 and he's settled ....... I think your low end is rather on the high side not allowing much of a temp change from the hot end

Okay yeah I think it's quite cute, just checking that it doesn't mean anything bad haha. At night time it sits between 30-32 on her hot end, during the day it is higher (although still below 35) as I put her heat light on. 28 is just a rough estimate of her cool end (I only actually have a thermometer probe on her hot end :S) although I have checked it a couple of times with the probe and it sat around 28. She is in a glass tank so in reality it would actually be a lot cooler than that in spots so I'm not worried :)

PS I realise I spelt 'Stimson' wrong in the thread title...-_-

Could also have to do with her scenting the air if her tongue is flickering at the same time, something in the air might have gotten her attention and she is trying to get a better sense of it.

My yearling Childreni girl nods from the entrance of her hide as well. She did it the day I got her, still does it, and has never been aggressive. I just figured it was part of her personality. She doesn't flick her tongue much when she's doing it either. She's been vet checked regularly and all is fine so I wouldn't worry. It looks like the bobbing that the ta-ta lizards do up here and it is indeed very cute! :lol:

She doesn't flick her tongue when she does it either. She is my first snake (although I've had a decent amount of experience) so I may be quite bias but I think she is the most placid snake I've ever held :) Best 18th birthday present ever :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back