Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantBeatALBINOS

Reaction score
hey everyone, as you all know i recently brought my first snake an albino darwin and when the day i got her was the day the seller always fed all of his snakes and told me to try feeding with a velvet the day i got her so i did but she wouldnt take it, she would strike but never coil around and actaully go to eat it(she did this friday- the day i got her, she did it saturday and yeterday aswell but yesterday she didnt even really go the mice aye), im assumimg its cause all the stress of moving cause ive seen heaps of post about this and no im not 'that guy' who hasnt done his research and what not but yeah i just want to see what you's guys think i should do, to try again today or just wait for a few more days for her to like hunt around her tank and look like she's hungry? haha cheers guys:)

Leave her for a week to settle. Don't handle don't put your face at the glass. Just let her settle.

Leave it in there overnight for her to find herself rather then shoving a mouse in her face. And put a blanket over the enclosure so its nice and dark.

Thats my advice

yeah i thought to leave her for abit but everyone i know with snakes says to handle them as much as you can when you first get them cause they will get used of you and i think she has aye, she only bit me twice so far and both were at my own fault, she doesnt like being unwrapped from her branch.. lol but i will do that and just leave her for a few days then move her into the feeding tub and try again:)

hey, did you get a feeding and shedding record with your albino, if so how many feeds has it had, if its had a few like it should have then just leave it alone for a week or so and don't play with it. then try a fuzzy or velvet (mouse), from a pair of tweezers. dangle it in front of your little one and if it doesn't take it straight away you can gently rub it along its neck. this quite often gets them to bite and because of the angle their heads at the always seem to constrict it also. once its constricted the prey they nearly alwys go on to eat it. if they drop it. warm it up and try again 10 mins later. if still no luck leave it in the cage just outside the hide box overnight. some snakes like their privacy when they eat. if it doesn't eat it throw it awayand try again a few days later. this could take a few weeks of trying b4 it works. don't stress if its had a few feeds then it will eat sooner or later. it could be coming on shed. check on your records when its last shed was, some wont eat just b4 shedding. most importantly try not to handle it until it feeds. looking after snakes is a continual learning curve. congrats on your new albino. you have gone to the top shelf for your 1st snake. they are awesome, I have a few myself. good luck and be patient

Last edited:
hey nah i didnt cause i only remembered on the way home with her so i will go to the shop next this week and trevor should still have the records in his book:)
but i know(cause he told me) that she shed perfect every time trevor had her and im fair sure he said she never refused a feed in his care and i know she ate the week before i got her,
and thanks to aye i deffs will leave her alone for while and then try for a feed cause yeah i didnt want to hold her until she fed but she wouldnt when i tryed so i got her out about 30mins later and im fair sure she is coming into shed thats why i only got her out yesterday to try for a feed but its hard to tell with albinos cause there eyes dont go milky aye?
and ofcourse i use tweezers, deffs dont want her thinking my hands food one day when she's older.. lol :p

most baby snakes can come on shed without you knowing. mitchR1 idea of keeping it in the dark is a good idea too until it feeds. it can take them a little while to get used to their new homes

yeah i thought to leave her for abit but everyone i know with snakes says to handle them as much as you can when you first get them cause they will get used of you and i think she has aye, she only bit me twice so far and both were at my own fault, she doesnt like being unwrapped from her branch.. lol but i will do that and just leave her for a few days then move her into the feeding tub and try again:)
Unwrapping her off a branch to put her in a feeding tub may well be enough strees to put her off feeding.If you feed her whilst on her branch she is far more likely to take the food. The priority for a new snake is to let it settle in and start feeding. It can get used to you later on after it has fed.

Unwrapping her off a branch to put her in a feeding tub may well be enough strees to put her off feeding.If you feed her whilst on her branch she is far more likely to take the food. The priority for a new snake is to let it settle in and start feeding. It can get used to you later on after it has fed.

i never said i took her off the branch to feed? and she only bit me once getting her off to:) i put my hand under her belly and lifted up gentely, she was just sitting in there coiled and i was like nah i'll be right still getting her.. haha i wasnt but its honestly fine i dont pull her, she just slithers around my wrist once my hands under her

so how do i keep heat though if i put her in darkness aswell? cause i use a 60W infared heat globe in the tank and that works perfect:)

Snakes can't see infrared. So the red colour you see isn't visible to them

Also i wouldn't bother with a feeding tub. Useless and disproven theory IMO

i agree with mitch about not bothering to change tubs...

how big is the enclosure she's in? does she have plenty of hide? what temps are you getting in there?

Snakes can't see infrared. So the red colour you see isn't visible to them

Also i wouldn't bother with a feeding tub. Useless and disproven theory IMO
People can't see infrared either. If you cover the the aiming beam from a IR thermometer you will notice that you can't see the IR coming out but still get a reading. You are right in that red or purple light does not seem to bother snakes like white light can.

You IMO are simply doing to much to soon with your hatchie and stressing it out, leave it for a week with NO HANDLING and don't try to feed it in that period as you said you've tried to feed it 3days in a row after the 1st attempt is just more stress for the snake.

what the heck does IMO mean..? haha

and yesterday i only got her out to try and feed an she didnt so i put her back(took about 10mins) and even then i only got her out cause she was hunting around her tank and today i havent even got her out and also if two of you say they cant see infared light then if i just turn my bedroom light off it should be dark to her? like even though the lights bright as to me..? haha i know they cant see it but would that work to make it dark but still hot?
and the temps are perfect! in the hot end(at the warmest spot) a nice warm 33.5-34oC and the coolest temp in her tank is 26.4 basically every second of the day.

also her tank is 1 metre high and 45cm in both width and length and contains 1 nice gumtree branch a 330ml water bowl and a nice sized hide rock and she can hide in each back corner of the tank i have cause i cut the 3D mangrove backround i got so she can.. you now know everything.. haha:)

People can't see infrared either. If you cover the the aiming beam from a IR thermometer you will notice that you can't see the IR coming out but still get a reading. You are right in that red or purple light does not seem to bother snakes like white light can.
this is pretty much correct theres been threads on this before and alot of info was provided , consensus was that if you can see the light coming from your "IR" globe , than it wasnt really ir and that your snake could also see it , there where a few members here from the army who explained it well as they use it there

op it sound like you have your snake in an enclosure? how large ? if the non feeding continues id be inclined to switch it into a suitable tub until it is feeding and stop all handling etc except for cleaning and water bowl changes until it is eating , forget what you have been told about handling from day one it will do you a world of good

EDIT - IMO means "in my opinion" there is a glossary thingy somewhere on the forum that explains all these terms , i was lost at first 2 ;)

yeah the feeding tub i have is a click clack that the person i brought the snake off that housed kapreece in(if that makes sense lol)
and yeah ive already got a plan to put her in that or a bigger one i made personally to stay in for while:)
and atm shes about 45 MAYBE 50cms aye like im 183cms and she's the size of 1 of my arms and the enclosure size is stated above:)

yeah the feeding tub i have is a click clack that the person i brought the snake off that housed kapreece in(if that makes sense lol)
and yeah ive already got a plan to put her in that or a bigger one i made personally to stay in for while:)
and atm shes about 45 MAYBE 50cms aye like im 183cms and she's the size of 1 of my arms and the enclosure size is stated above:)
Are you asking a question here? Is this the same snake that you have asked about and been given advice on before?

this is pretty much correct theres been threads on this before and alot of info was provided , consensus was that if you can see the light coming from your "IR" globe , than it wasnt really ir and that your snake could also see it , there where a few members here from the army who explained it well as they use it there

i only say infrared as thats what the globes are labeled as, im aware we cant see infrared light.

snakes though, to my knowledge, do see a different spectrum of light to what we do.

red being the closest wave length of light to the infrared spectrum would mean that snakes visible spectrum is cut shorter then ours and they don't see the red colour. just as at the other end of the visible spectrum for humans sits violet light before going into xrays, ultraviolet and gamma. so if you chop the two ends off of the human visible light spectrum, red and violet, you have what a snake can see. globes labelled "infrared" are either purple or red which means they don't see them.

just because its bright to us doesn't mean it is to snakes. for example you can use infrared wave lengths of light to obtain night vision through goggles. the goggles are enhancing our visible light spectrum to be able to see further wave lengths of light. take the goggles off though and its pitch black even with IR lights beaming all over the shop.

so no snakes don't see the red or purple light.

i run mine all night long and it illuminates my entire living room. if you look at their pupils under the light they are fully dilated.

Last edited:
I read up that you have to let the snake settle for a week, moving does stress them out, which will make her not want to eat. My sister and boyfriend just got a jungle python each and we were told to feed them that following night by the person who sold us them. They didnt want to eat, they were to busy focusing on the person giving then the mice. So we waited a few days. Gave them food today, then put a light blanket over them to make it dark. Walked away then came back 10 minutes later, both of them had just about finished eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back