Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it seems to me that Iron Range remains the most definitive and proven range of Morelia viridis in Australia. I feel more work would be needed to prove that a sustainable population exists in both the suggested McIlwraith and Lockerbie areas.

Hi mrmikk,

You're absolutely right. As far as I'm aware, McIlwraith is far more inaccessible than Iron Range, so not much work has been done in there. Lockerbie Scrub is very removed from Iron Range, so I think it's unlikely that there's a self-sustaining population there (if there ever was one in historic times), but I don't know enough to comment on that any further. I'm interested in hearing more from Craftsman on this.

Stewart

I was looking in to it and it wouldnt be too expensive, flights from cairns are around $120(cooktown) and to hire a 4x4 for roughly 4 days is around $350 for a hilux dulecab and accommodation would be camping(experience the rugged out back haha). and after all that you would have atleast 3 days of good hard herping to do!

One of the Lockerby records is generally regarded as dubious and other one - I can't comment on. However,
a very recent and thorough survey (yet unpublished), has been conducted at Lockerby this last wet season. Results: none found.
Also, verbal communications with two "locals", who spent years driving through Lockerby day and night, have never sighted a green python. These people new snakes and the habitat.
Those of you who have been there, would agree with me that the rainforest patch is simply too small and too dry to support viable population of GPs. There is even smaller section within that fits Wilson's model.

pm me bundy ill take you herping one night if you like i no a few spots in cairns and sourounding areas

Thanks for that Craftsman, can you let us know when the survey you referred to is published, I would be interested to read it.

Bundy Zigg, I agree with you, it would make for a very interesting & worthwhile trip, the herping alone would be amazing! As David Wilson said in his article on p9 of Reptiles Australia, Vol 3 Issue 6;

"It would be one of the few areas in Australia where you can see five python species at night (Green, Amethystine, Spotted, Carpet and Water Pythons."

mrmikk it would be well worth it. If herping is a passion why not make a holiday out of your trip. GTP are truly beautiful, and to see a wild one would be worth any amount of money.

iceman anytime you want to go on a field trip let me know. also do you know anyone who sells rats in townsville?

mrmikk it would be well worth it. If herping is a passion why not make a holiday out of your trip. GTP are truly beautiful, and to see a wild one would be worth any amount of money.

You're on the money there Bundy, what a thrill to see a GTP in the wild, does it get much better?

I think we have established that there ar'nt any in (or near) innisfail unless they are escapees. I would like to do some herping in kuranda and the tablelands, what am i likely to find?

Kuranda and the Tablelands are great spots for herping, particularly in the warmer months at night, spotteds, jungles, well worth it.

I have spent many a night driving the tablelands at night, lots to see, just beware of the cane trucks in caning season, they are lethal, you can't miss the sugar refinery at night up there, like a big glow in the middle of the tablelands, on Channel road if I remember correctly.

i live in between Townsville and Tully in my backyard i have come across a very greedy water python which visited me quite often feasting on my mice , a nice coastal in my cockatoo cage and yes the cocky is still with us a lovely tree snake feasting on frogs in the downstairs laundry , legless lizards and multitudes of frogs. i feel fortunate that i can see these snakes so close to home and track being that i see them more than once. Plus spotted juvies are found as well.

my friends were shocked at me when i decided to pull a 1.5 m long snake(didnt know what python it was) of the road(poor buggers get hit there so often). he was not a happy chappy to be removed off his nice warm road. that was my first experience with a wild snake and im sooo keen to have more. I work on a banana farm and we get heaps of BTS through and a snake thats blue in colour and highly agressive we also get heaps of pythons(once again im not good at identifying them yet). Last year we had a brown tree snake come that had a scar on its tail come through our shed 10 times.

hi all, i live up here in cairns too but am heading up the cape in a few weeks for a 2 week round trip and was just wondering where the best places to look for wild herps would be and at what times? it should be pretty good weather, it never gets cold up there any way so i think some animals should still be out!! i hope so! any help on where or what to look for would be really good as i would like to make the most of my trip herp wise!! plus if i get any good pics, especially of any wild GTP they will be up on here first!!

If anyone has any photos or stories about wild GTP pleases feel free to post them here id love to hear and see.

The best place to see greens is obviously IR. If your lucky you may see one crossing the road.

Blue snakes will be Blue phase GTS.
There's heaps of herps around, just look.

Hey Bundy, I know someone with rats in Tsv, Pm me me for details...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back