Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never really understand why people do crappy things like this.

I hope you get your animals back & the person who did it gets what's coming to them!!

The saddest part is that NO DOUBT they were taken by someone who is either a member here, or visits this site.
This is the very reason so many people are hesitant with posting there enclosure pics and animals on sites like this one, there a haven for theives.
I would recomend NO-ONE post pics of there animals if they dont want them stolen. But most certainly dont give out a suburb address. A few questions and anyone can find out where and what you have.
Scary world but unfortunately its the only way to make sure your herps are safe..

First of all sorry to hear about the break in Deano. I can't imagine how it would feel to have some loser come into my house and touch my things, let alone steal animals! Sorry mate.

Second, i think your spot on pugsly. These open forums are a haven for would be thieves! This has made me think twice about posting pics on open forums again. Even though our collection is split up over 3 addresses with security, dogs etc. i'm still paranoid about this kind of thing happening to us! I used to think that since we don't have any greens or whites we'd be of no big interest to thieves. I was obviously mistaken seeing as the incidents of peoples "common" herps being stolen are rising!

Thanks for posting Deano. Atleast something good may come of it. It's given a few of us a shake-up and a bit of a wake-up call. Small consolation i know.

All the best mate
Den

So sorry for your loss Deano:(

It ****s me SO bad when people commit such low acts like this. Catch 'em and kill 'em:evil::evil:

Makes me wonder how safe me and my family really are, we'll be getting proper security for sure...

sorry to hear that , deano.
as another said, be sure to check if there is any sign of blood that may not belong to your male. if one of the offenders was wounded you could possibly find a DNA match. the chances of scum like this already having a criminal record are probably pretty good.

Just a thought but how would someone be able to find out where you live by a picture? I don't think anyone should be discouraged from posting pictures just because some people have suffered at the hands of something like this. I hate all this secrecy in the herp community. Posting a picture of your herps is not going to give away your address unless you have a sheet of paper with your address in the photo. :lol:

If everyone is as worried about this happening as they say just don't invite people you don't know over to your house. Complete all transactions at a service station or carpark.

Deano sorry to hear about this mate.

sorry about your loss!!!

and about the DNA part, odds are they have a record but odds are they wont have DNA on file. fingerprints probably but i dont think DNA.

The other thing is odds are unless you were lucky you might find it difficult to find a coppa that would bother testing any DNA found for the theft of what is to them 'just a few animals'. I know what my local cop shop would do. Nothing.

sorry about your loss!!!
and about the DNA part, odds are they have a record but odds are they wont have DNA on file. fingerprints probably but i dont think DNA.

i think it has become standard practice to collect DNA samples at the same time as they get the finger/palm prints. but since you would probably need a crime scene investigator or a forensic biologist to collect the sample, then the lab will have to run it. the labs have a big backlog and each sample costs about $60 dollars. so i guess your chances of getting this done are pretty low.

Just a thought but how would someone be able to find out where you live by a picture? I don't think anyone should be discouraged from posting pictures just because some people have suffered at the hands of something like this. I hate all this secrecy in the herp community. Posting a picture of your herps is not going to give away your address unless you have a sheet of paper with your address in the photo. :lol:

If everyone is as worried about this happening as they say just don't invite people you don't know over to your house. Complete all transactions at a service station or carpark.

Deano sorry to hear about this mate.

Yeah im not sure people could find your house just by a pic of your herps id say it was someone local who did this possibly someone you know, cause they knew you had more then just the lacies seen as they broke into everywhere looking for more.

Theyd prob been sussing out your place for a bit and waiting for when you werent there, im just wondering how the hell someone breaks into stuff and sneaks out with 4 large monitors without anyone noticing o_O no neighbours or no one seen anything?

Taking a guys Lacies.....man, that is such a low act.

Unfortunately Lacies are a prized reptile and i guess it's easier for these scumbags to steal captive specimens than to take them from the wild (as these types of people would never consider buying captive bred).

I wouldn't necessarily say it's someone from this site. Deanos Lacey avairy is quite exposed in his backyard and neighbours talk. Any neighbour could have unknowingly spread the word about these animals to the wrong person.

Sorry this happened to you, Deano. If my Lacies were stolen i would want BLOOD!!

With due respect McGlouglin2..

If I want to find out who you are and where you live it would take me 10 mins. Few phone calls whatever, if people really want to know, they will.

It would not be hard to ask a few people who UNKNOWINGLY perhaps informed these scumbags of a possible street, area anything. Deano advertised him location thinking he would be safe. Obviously now it is just NSW. But people know people who know people..

When someone knows where you live, they very well might tell another who tells another etc etc before its in the wrong hands.

The only way to be 100% safe is not to post. Why do you think most big breeders stay away from these forums?

Im all for showing off you herps, I am more than guilty of it. But not with things people can recognise in the background, houses, fences etc etc. Just be careful because this WONT be the last herp stolen..

Sorry to hear it Deano! Such a low, pathetic act and I personally hope the thief (or thieves) get more than a few scratches from Deano's girls.

I think Pugsly is correct in not photographing reptiles with identifiable backgrounds, thats why many reptiles are placed on a single coloured object or platform.

Good Luck Deano, I hope you get them back.

when you find them tie the thief up and put them in a room with the lacies. it is just sickening wat this world has come to. all the best.
matt

Tough break dude :(
Have you tried canvasing the neighbours etc to see if they saw anything?
You haven't sold anything recently or had friends or friends of friends come over?
9 times out of 10 it is unfortunately close to home.
Good luck with it mate!

That's HORRIBLE!!
I don't even know you or have ever heard of you but sympathy to you.
I hate people!

So sorry to hear about your loss. This is so scarey - it could happen to any one of us. Do you mind me asking how they gained entry into your house??

havent read thru to see if there are answers yet but they were in an outdoor enclosure so would have just gone round the back, makes me think twice about building an outdoor enclosure now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back