Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimera

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing some pretty awesome things about the Pro-Heat Heat panels from both US and Australian sources and I'm interested to know:
  • How many of you use/have used them
  • Any opinions
  • Prices you paid
  • How the Herp Shop heat panels rate against these.
The manufacturer goes to great lengths to detail how fireproof these things are, and Greg Maxwell mentioned in his talk that a thermal gradient was easily achieved with one of these in a 90x60x60cm enclosure with next to no ventilation.

From what I gather they are a little pricey, so still deciding whether to give them a go.

They are raved about on other forums and do seem to be the way to go, I gave up using light bulbs as a heat source a long time ago. I would probably say the Pro Heat brand is the best on the market, not all heat panels are the same by any means.

i think herpshop still sell's them. i saw some banks last week and they seem to work well I am seriously considering switching over to them.. (i won't mention any names for fear of his pm box being flooded).

They are raved about on other forums and do seem to be the way to go, I gave up using light bulbs as a heat source a long time ago. I would probably say the Pro Heat brand is the best on the market, not all heat panels are the same by any means.

Thats pretty much what I've heard, apparently there can be a vast difference between them. Some of the cheaper ones act in a similar manner to ceramic heat emitters.

I think some of the cheaper versions are little more then a heat cord attached in the top of a galvanised box.

I'm also interested in these pro heat panels, is there a company that sell them here or do we need to have them freighted from pro heat overseas?

freighted from what I can tell, hence all the questions :)

They do make a 240V model

I use heat panels and reccommend them highly to people. Just because Herpshop may not be selling them in future does not mean you can't get them.

what wattage do you use rob? and do you run a thermostat with them? I was a bit curious how much heat they give out and what sort of gradient do you get? i thought you would definately need a higher basking spot for the snake.

50watt. I run 8 panels of one Habistat Pulse Proportional thermostat, with probe thermostat as backup if Habistat fails.
They can get to about 80deg. surface temp if not controlled by a thermostat.
No problem with basking spots, also offer a branch closer to the panel to give the snakes the choice to warm themselves up quicker if they wish.

Animal attractions in hoppers has them listed on their website however i do not know what brand they are.
best to ask the US distributor who sells them here i think

jungle rob, what size enclosure are you using them in and what ambient temps are you getting, and
also with the pulse thermostat on 8 units, are these banks ontop of one and other what what is the temp difference from the bottom unit to the top unit. Which unit is the thermo probe in.
many thanks

Last edited:
I use pro heat panels as does Nephrurus on this site.

They are a fantstic unit specifically designed for the needs of reptiles. Generally you need to provide them with cage dimensions, cage materials, species to be kept and ambient day and night max and mins for the season.

They need this information to calculate the correct product to meet your needs.

I've only used the 88W panels, I think Neph has the 110W panels for womas. The are ideal for aboreal or terrestrial species. If using for terrestrial species i would suggest the instillation of a shelf or the addition of branches as so they can get nearer the panel to bask.

They maintain quite a good gradient very stable and can be used easily with thermostats (how dare i say that word):)

Pluses, they look good, don't require light guards as the surface temperatures are nowhere near that of a light globe, No globe replacement ever, 10 year warranty, they are very helpful, energy efficient.

Disadvantages, they are not sold in Australia

The main sizes used are 55W , 88W and 110W panels although they can custom make sizes for specific requirements. I find them price efficient compared to my set-ups.

In a 6ft*2ft*2ft cage I use a basking globe of 100W and two back up blue globes for night (that also supplement day heat on cool days on dual thermostats) Or dual 60W ceramic heat emmiters instead of blue lights.

A cost of this setup is around $150 give or take including light covers. In relation the cost of an 88W pro heat panel delivered in around $200

I guess the cost of replacement globes alone would make the panel better value over 10 years let alone much more energy efficient.

I tried getting technical information from the company that makes a certain Australian heat panel and the technician could only give me the advice that they are good to put under desks etc to warm your knees! That was about all they could tell me. So the choice was simple.

Cheers

Thanks haz, so basically your running just the 88watt panel and that does the job very well.
Are you using them in your RSP set ups?
Cheers, James

Yes have them in 1 lot but the others are still set up with ceramics and incadescent.

88W is perfect for 5ft by 2ft by 2ft aboreal species. If you want extra heat for terrestrial species i would go 110W in a 5ft by 2ft by 2ft sp you can rev up the heat when required, I think thats what Neph does!

Cheers

obviously you use them with thermostats to control the enclosure temp, but does the surface get warm enough to burn the snake if it touches it???

I used the ones from the Herp Shop (well never actually did because...) the surface did get very hot. The Pro-Heat ones apparently do not get overly hot on the surface so they are much better suited for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back