Problems with Resun heat mats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hph

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What are every one 's opinions on the Resun heat mats. I have had two which cracked the bottom of the tanks that were sitting on it ??
:cry:

hph said:
What are every one 's opinions on the Resun heat mats. I have had two which cracked the bottom of the tanks that were sitting on it ??
:cry:
Dont know about that brand. How are the tanks made? Do the sides sit on the base, if not perhaps the tolerence is too small and it is purely a case of an expansion fracture, not necessarily due to a particular brand?

Not a good idea to put mats directly on the glass...

If so, try running the mat through a dimmer to heat it up slowly.

If the mats dont directly adhere to the glass hows the heating gonna be done ?. Forgot to mention that the mat is quite hot to touch as well

hph said:
If the mats dont directly adhere to the glass hows the heating gonna be done ?. Forgot to mention that the mat is quite hot to touch as well

I've got some self adhering type mats and I stick them to a 16mm mdf substrate and then put the cage on top of that. The heat transfers through 32mm of mdf very well. The pet shop staff who sold it to me tried to tell me that they only get up to around 30 degrees :roll: I measured the temp at well over 50 closer to 60 degrees. At a guess I would say that if you are using fish tanks the glass would usually max out at 10mm, so I would definetly keep the mat away from the glass,jmo.

Was the mat inside on the bottom, or underneath the bottom glass?
If it was underneath its likely it just overheated due no ventilation?
most recommend one side be open to air or shallow substrate.

i dont htink its the brand of the heat mat ive cracked 2 glass tanks made from dalbarb and even use the so called top brand heat mats made by exo terria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back