Puppies!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your fave dog?

• Bellebriar Cocker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labridor

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Border Collie

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • German Shorthhaired Pointer

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Welsh Pembroke Corgi

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Boxer

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Aussie Cattle Dog

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Gordon Setter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lhasa Apso

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote goes to "other" . G. Shepherd, & Dane X :D Love Shepheds but hate the wool that comes out of them in spring, love my Dane X mastiff but he is such a noodle !!!!! :rolleyes: Knocks everything [ & everyone ] over when he gets excited ! Debarking ?:shock: Would a person be devoiced for be too loud? I think not. I put it in same category as cosmetic tail docking. Not acceptable! :evil::x

I have 2 Mini Fox Terriers and they are complete nuts! They are good fun and love to play at any opportunity I have had them since there were little puppies they are now old fella's (12yrs) and still as nutty as when we first got them. Wouldn't have it any other way.

huh funny how dogs act isn't it! here we have about 25-30 dog (NOT KIDDING EATHER) and all are debarked except the 2 grey hounds, poms and the 2 old german shepards, every time i walk up to the fences the bark but they only make little sound.

You are joking aren't you????? Debarking is the most cruel, unnecessary procedure. How else are your dogs supposed to communicate? It would be like taking your voice away... It is also, as far as I am aware, banned in most states. Why do you have so many dogs if you can't train/control them properly.

Back on topic - I am a labrador girl. We have a gorgeous 3yo chocky lab who is the gentlest, friendliest creature in the world. Our 3yo daughter adores her, and I wouldn't for a second hesitate to leave the two of them in a room alone together.

Last edited by a moderator:
No prizes for guessing my favourite. Rhodesian ridgebacks all the way! Hey D-L, try spraying aerogard on your cuffs, shoes, tips of hair (anything the pup should not be biting). It tastes incredibly bitter and they will usually only do it once! Doesn't do them any harm, they get a taste of it and have a bit of a headshake before the tail starts wagging again and they start looking for the next target. You can even use it on furniture, but check it won't stain first.
Last thing you want is a big dog that is still nippy as a young adult.

I have a Border Collie x Kelpie, and he is the most amazing dog ever. He is so smart and gentle - he just seems to know what you want him to do, without even asking. You can leave him in the back of the ute anywhere, and he'll still be there when you get back. I love him more than anything - my best mate :)

I am just about to get an Australian Cattle x Border Collie from RodentRancher! He's only about 3 wks old at the moment - very excited.

This is my best mate Jed :)

Last edited:
Here are our two bubs a couple of years ago...

Attachments

• may 05.jpg
    may 05.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 15
Cropping dogs ears is illegal, as is docking tails now, but why oh why is debarking still allowed. If a dog's barking is a problem, there will be reason for it, the main one being the dog is bored.

Debarking is a an awful practise.

I like small hound dogs.
We had a lovely Basset Hound who is long gone now. As a puppy he barked at anything like leaves blowing by. He took no notice of me saying NO till I used a spray bottle of water on his face and firmly said NO when he barked. He got that worked out in 5 minutes. I could say NO with out the water and he would stop what ever he was doing, jump back and look at me.
They need company though. Next door told us he barked and howled all day as soon as our car was at the end of the block and he didn't stop till he heard the car coming back.
We got him a buddy which was a beagle we bought from the pound. An escape artist when young but kept the Basset from being lonely and he stopped barking when we where at work.
We still have the Beagle though he is really old, can hardly see or hear and he can't get in or out of the car on his own. We love him and he still seems to be enjoying life.

Tail-docking, it's illegal in all states now?

I've looked up a few Dobermann breeders and most of the pups listed on their websites have their tails docked, so I guess it's still being done. Call me cruel, but I wouldn't buy a puppy that had it's tail intact. Dobies with long tails just look a bit 'wrong' to me.

Tail docking is in same class as earcropping IMO.:x Unnecessary & inhumane. I wonder if in 50 years people will look at pics of dogs taken today & say " :shock: Eew. What happened to the tail. Why doesnt it have one. It looks wrong without it. " Here's hoping!! ;)

i have multiple favourites:D.. but i keep a jack-russel and shes a great little dog. Easy to keep inside, and small enough to have on your lap and the chair. doesnt bite..

she also had 5 puppies..

Attachments

• RUBY - Hi5 man!.jpg
    RUBY - Hi5 man!.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 9
  • RUBY - noo! not the bath!.jpg
    RUBY - noo! not the bath!.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Heil Ruby.JPG
    Heil Ruby.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 176.jpg
    Picture 176.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 15
  • RUBY - time to eat!.gif
    RUBY - time to eat!.gif
    47.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
GERMO'S ALL THE WAY!!!!!! :lol: :lol: I bought my german shephard as 8 weeks old and never had to toilet train him. From the first night I bought him home he never went inside except once when he was crook. He rarely barks, doesn't dig and was simple to train. I went to a puppy school that had classes, puppy, advanced puppy, young adult and then a fourth continuous class. The dog trainer told me not to waist my time bringing him to young adult dog school because he wouldn;t need it. I havn't had much time over the last six months to keep up to date with his training and he has gotten slack because or this in some area's but it does not bother me because he is worth it. I'm going camping this weekend to a very busy beach and will be taking him know he wont need to be tied up, wont bother other campers, wont go to food sources and wont fight other dogs. Christmas eve we had a party at our place and we had kids, Solja was out front with us, no leash with the kids and I knew I didn't have to keep an eye on him. Here are a few pics of him over the night. There were hot nibblies out all night and Solja didn't look at them once. :eek: Best dog ever!

DSC02406.jpg

DSC02407.jpg

DSC02409.jpg

Cant beat a good Shepherd! He looks like a real "deer" . :lol::lol:

Tail-docking, it's illegal in all states now?

I've looked up a few Dobermann breeders and most of the pups listed on their websites have their tails docked, so I guess it's still being done. Call me cruel, but I wouldn't buy a puppy that had it's tail intact. Dobies with long tails just look a bit 'wrong' to me.

" Look a bit wrong" ????:shock::shock::x

i just can't believe that comment ...

So you would mutilate an animal if it looked wrong to you:evil::evil:

THAT IS CRUEL!!!

" Look a bit wrong" ????:shock::shock::x

i just can't believe that comment ...

So you would mutilate an animal if it looked wrong to you:evil::evil:

THAT IS CRUEL!!!

Erm, Dobes have been having their tails docked for many years, and I personally do not like them with a natural tail. So I guess that makes pretty much every single Dobermann breeder in this country (and many others) cruel. So be it.

It's not mutilation, at least not in my opinion. If you hacked the tail off the dog yourself with a kitchen knife, then yes - maybe it could be called mutilation. But when performed properly the tail-docking procedure is not a huge ordeal. In fact I am quite sure that the desexing procedure would cause more pain/discomfort to a young puppy.

Miss B, dogs use their tails for balance when running, and possibly indicating emotions to other dogs, wagging etc.
The fact that it has been done for a long time does not make it right in my books and the sooner it is banned the better..

Ben

Oh well. I have had several Dobermann dogs, all with docked tails, and none of them ever had any problems with balance or running. Also, I don't think they even noticed the tail was not there as they wagged their stump just as any other dog would wag it's tail.

But I think this is one of those 'agree to disagree' situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back