Puppies!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your fave dog?

• Bellebriar Cocker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labridor

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Border Collie

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • German Shorthhaired Pointer

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Welsh Pembroke Corgi

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Boxer

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Aussie Cattle Dog

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Gordon Setter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lhasa Apso

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Koubee it's being done for a medical reason for the well being of the dog... No one should have a problem with that:)

She thinks her tail is another dog or something and she literally spends all day running in circles attacking her tail, she is also deaf, so it may have something to do with it too.
Hopefully docking her tail will stop her obsession with her tail.

Lillys tail chasing is beyond normal, she has blood dripping from her tail sometimes. She bites her tail thinking it is another dog or something and when she bites it it hurts her so she bites harder, obviously thinking that the other dog bit her, it's a vicious cirlce for her.
And she goes to training twice a week and we have tried to work through this at dog school with no luck.

Aren't these pups sooo cute!! Our purebred Aussie Cattledog "Bluedog" had these pups 4 weeks ago. We tried to find a purebred to mate her with but no luck. Instead a purebred Collie slipped in through our fence and got her about 3am in the morning. Dave was spewing, as being responsible dog owners, he built a $2000 or so fence to keep Bluedog in! Grrrr!! This other dog is allowed to roam the street at night - some people!! Anyway the one with the most black colour is the Border Collie ish looking one. The other 3 look just like Cattledog pups and are now starting to colour up with their silver/blue colour. Cattledogs are born white with just their black/tan patches showing and then change to their silver/blue colour about 4 weeks old. Jozz from this site wants the little guy with the most black on it. Cheers Cheryl

Attachments

• PC000020.JPG
    PC000020.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PC000021.JPG
    PC000021.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 12
  • PC000022.JPG
    PC000022.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
There is no exemption in tail docking laws for working breeds.

Working protection dogs are docked because the tails present an easy target for anyone to grab hold off which equals breakages, given that dobes and rotties are used for guarding they fall under this category.

A friend of ours had an older Boxer dog that recently died of Leukemia. When they eventually started looking to purchase another Boxer puppy, they found that the breed had suffered massively after the ban on docking. No-one wanted a pup with a natural tail and many breeders went out of business, as they couldn't sell the pups they were producing. At least that's what I am told.

From my understanding though, I think a lot of Dobermann breeders are continuing to dock their puppies despite the anti-docking legislation. So, if you wanted to purchase a docked puppy it would seem that you could do so - it is not illegal to buy, sell, own or exhibit a docked dog. I also believe that it is still legal in WA to dock tails.

Something interesting I came across:

Since docking was banned in Sweden in 1989, there has been a massive increase in tail injuries amongst previously docked breeds. Within the 50 undocked Pointer litters registered in that year with the Swedish Kennel Club, 38% of dogs suffered tail injury before they were 18 months old and in 1991, the number of individuals with tail injuries had increased to 51% of the group. By 1996 this figure had increased to 71%.

Why would tail injuries be so prolific (is that the right word? lol) in dogs that previously had their tails docked..where it isn't in other breeds? Not that I have seen any data on the non-docking breeds..
Just sounds a bit suss to me...like a bit of for docking propaganda lol JMO!

Danes All the way...there is none better IMO lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I think different breeds have different tail, if that makes sense! :? My shepherd for eg, she has a long soft tail compared to our Dane X. He will literally bruise my thigh and bum with his tail and my partner is always complaining about getting hit in the ghoulies :shock: by Aragorns tail. I dont know whether the hairiness [?!] :lol: has anything to do with it or not but Dana's tail is much better, not that I would dock my boy. Wouldn't be right! ;)

Why would tail injuries be so prolific (is that the right word? lol) in dogs that previously had their tails docked..where it isn't in other breeds?

Certain breeds are more prone to tail injuries, or so I am told.

Dobermans!! :p We've got a 3yr old Doberman Named Dobi , he's such a sweet heart :D
He's got a docked tail and so do his Brothers and Sisters :D

Attachments

• marti gra 1 007.jpg
    marti gra 1 007.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 16
The reason some breeds are more prone to tail breakages is due to where the muscle ends. In gun dogs it only goes 3 to 4 inches up the tail. Leaving the rest relatively unprotected. It would also depend on tail set eg a boxer has a high tail set that is high enough to avoid damages. I just think it is a shame that breeds that have such high stats on breakages are not exempt from the docking ban. I have seen first hand what an amputation does to a dog, and it is a lot more humane to be done at 3 days old, where they seem to cope(for lack of a better word) with it without any ill effects

Aren't these pups sooo cute!! Our purebred Aussie Cattledog "Bluedog" had these pups 4 weeks ago. We tried to find a purebred to mate her with but no luck. Instead a purebred Collie slipped in through our fence and got her about 3am in the morning. Dave was spewing, as being responsible dog owners, he built a $2000 or so fence to keep Bluedog in! Grrrr!! This other dog is allowed to roam the street at night - some people!! Anyway the one with the most black colour is the Border Collie ish looking one. The other 3 look just like Cattledog pups and are now starting to colour up with their silver/blue colour. Cattledogs are born white with just their black/tan patches showing and then change to their silver/blue colour about 4 weeks old. Jozz from this site wants the little guy with the most black on it. Cheers Cheryl

They're sooo cute Cheryl - he's the cutest though (i'm byast already!) haha. I can't wait to get him home!

Yeah, its the whippyness.

Dobes tails are very whippy, and most injuries start off with the tip becoming damaged, then you can't get it to heal and it gets infected and all hell breaks loose.

My doggy (well my folks doggy) is a blue cattle dog X king charles cavalier. She has the big boofy body of a cattle dog, and the gorgeous head of a king charles :D She is adorable but getting old now!

Attachments

• Charlotte.jpg
    Charlotte.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 6
wow! i love all these dog photos and i dont necessarily agree with getting dogs tails you now but i've never seen all sides and my opinion just love dogs for who they are (dumb, hipo, slobbery) my fave dog at grans is all that but i still love him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back