Puppies!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your fave dog?

• Bellebriar Cocker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labridor

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Border Collie

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • German Shorthhaired Pointer

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Welsh Pembroke Corgi

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Boxer

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Aussie Cattle Dog

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Gordon Setter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lhasa Apso

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to go other too
I have a cocker spaniel X kelpie Den and a foxy X blue heeler Misty.
The cocker spaniel X I got when he was 6wks old and by 7-8wks I had him shaking hands before he would eat. If you didn't shake his paw then he would just sit next to his bowl. Smart as
Great dog, well they both are - We got the foxy X from a pound and she was about 8months old.
For play time all I have to do is open the gate and they run through the vacant block and to the school to wait for me with the ball.

I must admit Den was much more obideant before we got Misty, he is still good but I surppose because she just does her own thing most of the time he likes to follow so I can't punish him when she is doing the same thing.
Den is also a big sook that barks but he is getting better - he barks everytime the I come home for lunch or at the end of the day. In the evernings he does a bit but misty doesn't say much at all. If she does then there is either a cat in the yard or something is up

If the puppies are chewing which they will get them a toy that they can chew, that will save on fingers, arms, funiture, pretty much everything you don't want them to chew on

My Fav

I have always had german shepards as a kid, so id always have to vote for the GS.

Nothing comes close to my current pup (still a pup at seven years old). He is a maltese ****zu X german shepard. I know , not the most common dog..... photos attached.

The wife's uncle's dog was the maltese / ****zu and the german shepard was the milkman so to speak. To say it was an accident is an understatement, she only had three pups, one stillborn, one we sold , and the last one we held onto.

Attachments

• PC280008.JPG
    PC280008.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PC280009.JPG
    PC280009.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 10
  • PC280010.JPG
    PC280010.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 10
Actually many breeds have a valid reason for tail docking.

Aussie Terrier breeders went from large numbers to very few because they can no longer dog. In the majority of undocked Aussie Terriers the tail will snap, cause infections then require major surgery (thousands of dollars) and too many people couldn't afford the surgery so the breed is dying out.

I agree dobes do look 'better' with a docked tail, probably just because everyone is used to seeing them this way.

But anyway, even though ive never owned a dog sadly, id have to say my fav breeds would be:
- Siberian Huskys
- Malamutes
- German Shorthair Pointers (only 1 vote so far!! :eek: lol)
- Dobes
- Rottweilers
- Australian Shepherds

Thinking about getting a rottweiler pup next year, would make a good guard dog then too! lol. Although a malamute or sibe might also do the trick because of their wild 'wolf ' looks even though theyre complete sooks :lol:

If you get a sibe be prepared to be spending some bucks beefing up your fencing if it isn't already 6ft minimum with a solid base. Even 6ft is too small for some persistent sibes - or use electric but electric is actually illegal so if you get caught then the RSPCA fines you... But if I have to get a fine to keep my dog safe then I'll take the fine.

Yeah we've got 6ft fencing all round. Huskies aren't a dog for the feint-hearted.

Why is electric fencing illegal for dogs? We used it all the time for cattle, horses and goats. My dogs soon learnt to respect it.:evil: So did the cats! !I didnt like it much either! :shock:

Actually many breeds have a valid reason for tail docking.

Aussie Terrier breeders went from large numbers to very few because they can no longer dog. In the majority of undocked Aussie Terriers the tail will snap, cause infections then require major surgery (thousands of dollars) and too many people couldn't afford the surgery so the breed is dying out.

This sounds like a pretty tenuous theory, but even so, surely it indicates that a breed has been developed to the point where it isn't kind to the dogs to continue breeding them (case in point, French bulldogs who routinely have to give birth via Caesarian because their tiny hips aren't adequate for natural birth.) If a dog has been bred to the point that they can't survive without further mutilatuion, then possibly they should be bred out of existence.

Also, I think undocked Boxers, Dobies and Cockers with their long tails look awesome, really balanced and natural, as well as very overtly happy with theri waggy tails!

Kakariki, because the RSPCA is an organization run by idiots.

Jessb, how is it unkind to continue breeding a dog that requires docking? Docking is relatively harmless. Does your dog have front dew claws? 90% of dog breeds have their front dew claws removed because these claws can become tangled on fencing and other random objects causing immense pain when they are ripped off. It doesn't hurt the dog having these removed at birth... So why should we leave them on? The same runs for tails.

Or should we stop breeding every breed that has an issue with dew claws? I hope you like your small dogs that have an activity level which equals that of a potato.

I do understand what you're saying and I do think that tail docking should be left to the vets (or you could perhaps do a course to become a certified tail docker?) but imo it is necessary and to say that we should't ever dock tails as a puppy is hypocritical if one has no issues with dew claw removal.

MissB, I've also got 6 ft and a concrete base. My dog Axle that is missing right now was a digger but was afraid of heights so 3ft would probably keep him in, I a fostering a sibe right now thats teeny (18kg, fully grown, male) and he can probably clear 6ft if he really tried. It's a right pain in the bum :p

I think undocked Boxers, Dobies and Cockers with their long tails look awesome, really balanced and natural, as well as very overtly happy with theri waggy tails!

I also agree. I love rotties more then any other breed of dog and even thought they do look good with docked tails, they look so much better with them. Its great to be able to see a dog that doesn't normally have tail wag one when it does.

heres my baby girl!!! shes my bestest friend in the whole world!!!!

BOXERS ALL THE WAY!!!! :)

note: her tail isnt docked and her ears arent cropped and she looks a million times better for it! :D

100_4613.jpg

JenLounge2.jpg

JenLounge3.jpg

I have gun dogs that i show. I have a hungarian vizsla and a weimaraner. Neither had had their tails docked. My wei broke her tail at the age of 8mths. It is such a horrendous operation to have their tail amputated. It took 6mths to heal properly and totally changed the dog. She went from a totally exuberant happy focused dog(with a hugh hugh amount of talent) to a dog on medication that hides under the bed all day. My vizsla had a litter of pups earlier in the year and I removed the puppies dew claws at 3days old. Out of 7 pups only one cried. My Vizsla has had a tail injurythat didnt need any surgical intervention but it still has me worried.Now my arguement is why cant breeders of certain types still dock their tails to save all that pain and horendous distress of amputation. Now I dont know about other breeds but working gun dogs have a very high incidence of tail breakage. Does it occur to people that in some breeds that tail docking was done for a reason. I know with both my dogs the muscle covering in the tail only goes up 3-4 inches, which is where they would have been docked. When I got both my dogs i was happy they had tails, But now i would be quite happy to cop the reprecussions of docking to prevent me or anyone one else watching their beloved pet go through the trauma of an amputation It breaks my heart to see my wei now, she held all my dreams for the future. She used to be so full of life, she used to almost turn herself inside out to please me or be near me. She no longer like to be around people and spends most of her time hiding under the bed. My vizsla is fretting for her, and cant understand what is happening. So to all those that condem docking, just think there is always 2 sides to things

Jessb, how is it unkind to continue breeding a dog that requires docking? Docking is relatively harmless. Does your dog have front dew claws? 90% of dog breeds have their front dew claws removed because these claws can become tangled on fencing and other random objects causing immense pain when they are ripped off. It doesn't hurt the dog having these removed at birth... So why should we leave them on? The same runs for tails.

Midol so what is the reason for removing a tail??

Dew claws are removed for the benefit of the dog, are you telling me that Dobs and rotties have their tails removed for their own well being??

Scout, has shown that there are legitimate reasons for the procedure, but i'd dare say 90% of the time it is done purely for aesthetic reasons..

It would be like me cutting of my Beardies tail cause i'm used to the shorter tails on blue tongues... Just imagine the uproar on this site if i did that.

Ben

English Staffordshire Bullterriers all the way for me.

We breed staffies and they are fantastic dogs with children (known as the nanny dog) great guard dogs but dead set eating/scoffing machines.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers Tam

Scout, I agree that on working dogs docking is often necessary for the safety of the dog - that's why the docking ban specifically exempts working dogs from the law. Unfortunately many unscrupulous breeders use this exemption as a loophole to dock tails for aesthetic, cosmetic reasons, which, as I said before, are unnecessary and cruel.

From the RSPCA site.. just to clear up the legality of docking

The RSPCA believes that cosmetic tail docking is a painful and totally unnecessary tradition and had long campaigned for ban on this cruel practice. In October 2003 the RSPCA’s call was heeded when the Primary Industries Ministerial Council agreed to implement a nationally coordinated ban on routine tail docking for non-therapeutic (cosmetic) reasons. The ban came into force nationally on 1 April 2004. Since that date it is illegal to dock dogs’ tails anywhere in Australia unless there is a medical reason behind the operation. Only a qualified veterinarian is permitted to carry out the surgery, in accordance with state and territory legislation.

it goes on to say...

Why do some dogs still have docked tails?
You may still see adult dogs with docked tails, as the docking may have been performed before the ban was introduced. Don't ever buy a puppy with a docked tail. If you get a dog from a breeder, make sure that they do not dock tails. If you suspect that tail docking is still taking place, please phone your state or territory RSPCA.

Ben

EDIT..... Just realised anyone condoning docking for cosmetic reasons is promoting illegal activities on the site....careful now:lol:

Last edited:
i can see varying reasons for tail docking but under no circumstances can i see any reason to condone debarking.
it seems the OP or their grandparents have too many dogs and should consider handing the majority in to an animal welfare group.

i have no preference to any breed of dog, i prefer mine on personality and over the time i have had different dogs from full breeds to mongerals and all have been amazing companions.

puppies

Here is a pic of my pup "Lilly". She is a Aussie Cattle Dog.
She is NAUGHTY!!!!! But so cute, you can't get mad at her........LOL

And on the tail docking, Lilly suffers from OCD in which she savages her tail, to the point it is really bleeding. The vet gave me 2 choices, put her on clavicalm and have a space cadet for a dog or dock her tail when she gets desexed. So we are having her tail docked when she is desexed. I know some wouldn't agree with this but it is for the best for Lilly.

Attachments

• P1030096.jpg
    P1030096.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 19
Here is a pic of my pup "Lilly". She is a Aussie Cattle Dog.
She is NAUGHTY!!!!! But so cute, you can't get mad at her........LOL

And on the tail docking, Lilly suffers from OCD in which she savages her tail, to the point it is really bleeding. The vet gave me 2 choices, put her on clavicalm and have a space cadet for a dog or dock her tail when she gets desexed. So we are having her tail docked when she is desexed. I know some wouldn't agree with this but it is for the best for Lilly.

I don't think many people would disagree with that koubee - it's in your dog's best interest, and clearly not a decision taken lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back