Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bredli

Reaction score
A few days ago I found a purple tree snake is was about 60cm it had yellow band across the lenght of its body and two yellow stripes acosse its eyes. I tryed to catch it so I could take a pic but in went into a bush and I lost it so I got no pics of it. I have found heaps of green and purple phase tree snakes and even three black ones. But this is the only purple one i've seen so I just want to know if any one else has seen this colour phase.THANKS

"Purple!!!, now i'd say sure blue, but have never seen a purple one.......wow love to see a photo if and when you see another"

Re: RE: purple tree snakes

indicus said:
"Purple!!!, now i'd say sure blue, but have never seen a purple one.......wow love to see a photo if and when you see another"

I will be going back there this comming weekend so hopefully I see another.

RE: Re: RE: purple tree snakes

i'd say it'd be like looking for a piece of hay in a massive stack of needles.

Good Luck

RE: Re: RE: purple tree snakes

Some people should get it though their heads if you can't positivley identify something DON'T TOUCH IT. People have DIED from things like this, it's not worth the risk, there is no such thing as a purple tree snake, what you just described is a Demansia psammophis,(Yellow Faced Whip-Snake), they may not kill you but their bites are bloody painful, and larger animals can cause significant side effects for a trip to the hospital. And you've also got things that can kill you where you live like black whips, rough scaleds ect.

i dont know about you but when i go herping im normaly geared up for venomous snakes seeing as there are 86 species of elapids in aus

Yeh that doesent mean you should just walk up and handle it. You have to be experienced before you can do that, handling elapids without knowing what you are doing is stupid.

Re: RE: Re: RE: purple tree snakes

Dicco said:
Some people should get it though their heads if you can't positivley identify something DON'T TOUCH IT. People have DIED from things like this, it's not worth the risk, there is no such thing as a purple tree snake, what you just described is a Demansia psammophis,(Yellow Faced Whip-Snake), they may not kill you but their bites are bloody painful, and larger animals can cause significant side effects for a trip to the hospital. And you've also got things that can kill you where you live like black whips, rough scaleds ect.

It was definatly a tree snake I was a meter away from it when I saw it. And I have caught heaps of tree snakes so I know what they look like.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: purple tree snakes

It was definatly a tree snake I was a meter away from it when I saw it. And I have caught heaps of tree snakes so I know what they look like.

Thats the point, there is no such thing as a Purple Tree Snake. Maybe you are colour blind or it was the angle of the light. They go blue but not purple.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: purple tree snakes

ether said:

Thats the point, there is no such thing as a Purple Tree Snake. Maybe you are colour blind or it was the angle of the light. They go blue but not purple.

Ether,

Are you sure about that? Have you gone looking for tree snakes on the Gold Coast?

If they come in Blue, and Black, in this area, then I don't see purple as being that far-fetched. Perhaps it's a hypo Black Tree Snake? Perhaps it's a natural colour morph when a blue mates with a black (co-dominance)?

Something to think about.

:p

Hix

This your so called tree snake?
YFW002.jpg

Hix, have you ever seen a purple snake? What are you saying that he has discovered a new species or something. Blue and Black are all fairly common colours for snakes and yes i do see pruple as being far fetched. If i see a photo then i will stand corrected :p :)

thats not a treesnake thats a whip snake of some kind demansia psammophis ?

looks like a dark yellow face

Black Common Tree Snakes arn't very common and Blues a pretty rare(for a reason) but purple are unheard of, yet the descripion he gave is perfect for a yellow faced whip, and just because you've caught e few GTS before by no means are you an expert.

Kenshin said:
thats not a treesnake thats a whip snake of some kind demansia psammophis ?

looks like a dark yellow face

Yep, It sure is, I posted it to see if he identify's it as the snake he saw.

i like whip snakes as soon as i get my venomous licence id be after some they are sooooooooo fast compaired to pythons

Very well could b a GTS have seen some interesting morphed colours,infact nearly run1 over in Tanah Merah.Sth brisbane.
Was the darkest blue i've seen on a tree snake.But wasn't purple
Did u happen to see any under belly,head shape,thickness and the way it moved when it took off.
Maybe it might have been without seeing it is yes either a whipsnake(as above.colours vary from pale grey to a bluey grey and olivey colour) or a member of the crowned snake you seen,
perhaps the
Cacophis harriettae(White crowned) or C. squamulosus(golden crowned).
thing is these are very secretive.Rarely seen in the daytime.

which park,forest part of town were you?

ya know what?

.........hooray for purple boobies

Bryony said:
ya know what?

.........hooray for purple boobies

Bry - if your boobies are purple, then there's something seriously wrong. Seriously.

I'd better have a look next time I'm over your way. Seriously.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back