Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't see alot for sale as those who are breeding them are still trying to fill orders from their mates... ;) but there are more out there then you think.. Personally, I think they are pretty over rated, just grubby little childrens... though very different from other Ants, and if your really into Ants then worth the effort (ie $$) I guess.

I think they are fantastic...especially the nice reddish ones......

The following pic I took several years ago. Please remember though that the pic for some reason came out making these specimens look a bit more redder than they actually were.

Attachments

• Pymgy 4.jpg
    Pymgy 4.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 171
Jungles
Without even thinking about scale counts, head shape, or anything else, the body patterning between both is worlds apart. Just look at any adult pygmy and it hardly has any pattern at all or at best an ill defined one.
Adult Stimsons on the other hand always have distinct blotch like patterning and of course the classic lateral line on the anterior third of the body. The confusion that some people have in the wild is picking between hatchlings of the two species because baby pygmys are bolding marked. Their patterns are far more like a childrens python though and their pattern blotching on their lower flanks bordering the ventrals are far more numerous and much smaller in size (unlike a Stimsons). Also juvenile pygmy's usually look far more orange but this can vary depending on locality.

I doubt there will ever be an influx of Pygmy Pythons on the market in the forseable future...they have very small clutches (1-5 on average), are very small as hatchlings (half that of a small hatchling Mac), are fairly picky feeders as juveniles and there's a large line of mates knocking on the breeders doors. Those that will be advertised will be at premium prices...

correct me if im wrong, but they also have a reputation of being more fiesty and jumpy than their antaresia counterparts, stimmies, spotted and childrenis ??

Jungles
Without even thinking about scale counts, head shape, or anything else, the body patterning between both is worlds apart. Just look at any adult pygmy and it hardly has any pattern at all or at best an ill defined one.
Adult Stimsons on the other hand always have distinct blotch like patterning and of course the classic lateral line on the anterior third of the body. The confusion that some people have in the wild is picking between hatchlings of the two species because baby pygmys are bolding marked. Their patterns are far more like a childrens python though and their pattern blotching on their lower flanks bordering the ventrals are far more numerous and much smaller in size (unlike a Stimsons). Also juvenile pygmy's usually look far more orange but this can vary depending on locality.

tHATS GREAT TO KNOW MATE, I APPRECIATE IT

correct me if im wrong, but they also have a reputation of being more fiesty and jumpy than their antaresia counterparts, stimmies, spotted and childrenis ??

yes you can stand corrected, you are definitely wrong.

I doubt there will ever be an influx of Pygmy Pythons on the market in the forseable future...they have very small clutches (1-5 on average), are very small as hatchlings (half that of a small hatchling Mac), are fairly picky feeders as juveniles and there's a large line of mates knocking on the breeders doors. Those that will be advertised will be at premium prices...

Ive heard from people that actually own and breed them they are usually not that hard to get feeding generally despite that "hard to get feeding tag" they seem to have but yeah do have small clutches..

theres rumours there may be quite a few of these perthensis available this coming season at vey reasonable prices.. who knows eh? time will tell I guess..

but personally wouldn't pay more than about $1000 each for them whether theres only a few available or whether theres a flood of them.. but thats just me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back