Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linus

Reaction score
This is just a query really. I haven't received any bad bites but was curious as to how people treat their python bites?

Can they get infected and turn nasty?

Cheers

i would of thought that all bites from all animals (with some exceptions eg hots and some lizards) would be the same -
a really good clean with a topical antiseptic wash - chlorhexadine, betadine, detol ect
check for foreign bodies eg teeth, food ect
then a leave on antiseptic solution
if the bite site has the potential of getting dirty cover and uncover to let it get some air
if it gets red or swolen or warm to touch thats the first sign of infection or foreign body

so a shorter way to say all this is get it clean and keep it clean
(i haven't been bitten by a snake yet, but this is general for most bites)

All animal bites can get infected and turn nasty.
Pythons bites bleed alot but just clean and dress the wound.
And a tetnus shot is not a bad idea if you aren't up to date.
Should have seen the look on to docs face when I insisted on a tetnus shot and told him why. I have a large female coastal that will carefully avoid the rat and the tongs for a taste of manflesh.

Gee guys, you both make me sound like a smart*ss. lol (i could have said suck out the venom)

:D Yes, just common sense linus, good hygene mate, and as fuscus said, A tetnus shot if your not up to date, I beleive they last about 5 or ten yrs (tetnus shots) . no need to panic if you do get bitten. :D

first sign of infection, you should go to Dr's for some antibiotics
python bites are deep and so damage can be done to multiple layers of skin and muscle so an infection can go deep and cause damage.

BUT if you get it clean and keep it clean there shouldn't be a problem ;)

Fuscus said:
instar said:
.. you both make me sound like a smart*ss...
I agree with part of your first answer, gotta get the photo. And if it is SFE the photo should include the python still attached.

Especially if it latches on your nose! :lol: P.s a person who isnt rolling around on the floor laughing is usually required for such photography. :lol:

Ok thanks guys. I don't think my 6 mth old diamond will be giving me any troubles in this area for a while :) but was just wondering.

I guess anything that eats dead mice might have some oral hygiene problems. :D

So far I have never seen a bite from a Python ever get badly infected . Maybe its because you bleed so much that this cleans the wounds. I could imagine if you were not hygenic it may become infected.

Now Goanna bites are a different story. I had a wild Heath Monitor slice the top of my nuckle with just 3 teeth. I bled like crazy and just ignored the bite site like a Python. Within 3 days my hand and arm was nearly 3 times larger with the swelling, and my skin on the limb felt like it was on fire. I had to have daily shots of penecilin for over a month, and at one point the doctor wanted to hospitalise me as it was getting so servere.

Speaking of Heath Monitor bites, Dave (RAZZA) copped a good one from my Heathie last Tuesday. Spoke to him Wednesday but haven't seen him since :shock: :wink:

Simon Archibald

Instar, you better believe it. These little buggers love to eat very rotten dead animals and they never clean their teeth :shock: . Very bad hygene on their part I may add. :wink:

I remember seeing a lacey chow down on a burnt blue-tongue about a week after a bushfire.
Mmmmm, BBQ blue-tongue. The bluey didn't move so I don't think the lacey killed it.

Also I have seen a lacey drag a large road-killed roo off a highway. I would imagine that the lizard would guard that carcass for a week or so as it ripened in the sun.
Mmmm, sun-ripe roo.

Just last week my Sand monitor tore open his day old chicken, dragged it on top of his log under the heat lamp, left it there for a day and then ate it :?:

Simon Archibald

I have a mate who has Laceys in a big outdoor pit...he lives on the Sunshine Coast, about 10k's into the bush...so always lots of road kill. He can't remember the last time he bought them food...

He chucked a 'roo in there one day, the Laceys had their heads totally inside this things ribcage...it was great.

1st thing to do is bleed all over the white table cloth.
Then, wrap it in the pillow case that the python was in.

Nah seriously, python bites seem pretty clean. If there is no tearing, just wrap it till it stops bleeding.

wonder what makes komodo bites the more deadly(if you survive initially that is) ? more deadly strain of aggressive bacteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back