Python hybridisation info and articles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LadyJ

Now, ladies please... can we keep the flames away from here, this isn't a debate thread and I don't it to be.

Well, for an assingment I'm doing an oral presentation on a current issue - python hybridisation if you can't tell. Any links to articles, stats, sites for or against, or helpful threads (yup, using the search feauture and slowing making my way through) would be grand. 8)

Edit: Okay, examples or arguments for an against? Keep is cilvil! :p

J, pity you haven't been at the symposium last weekend. Prof. Justin Julander presented an incredibly detailed overview on that subject. He is a very approachable guy and I am sure he can put you in the direction if you email him (mention my name if you like).

About AAR
Justin Julander, PhD - ADVS

cheers
Michael

J, pity you haven't been at the symposium last weekend. Prof. Justin Julander presented an incredibly detailed overview on that subject. He is a very approachable guy and I am sure he can put you in the direction if you email him (mention my name if you like).

About AAR

cheers
Michael

Thank you SO much - sure this'll get me on the right track! :)

Any pictuers too?

About AAR

cheers
Michael

What was the basic overall message, if it could be simplified at all?
That website is almost as bad as that other one designed to cause fits.

It can't be simplified because there was a lot of detail. Justin explained all the jargon terms, genetic combinations and the results, etc.. There was no message as such, it wasn't for or against argument (that's what we do here LOL).

there are tones of images on google, if you like look up hybrid haven as well,
and there have been articles in the scales and tails mag too.

there is also an old book "australian reptiles and frogs" that lightly touches on hybrids with some photos of a water python X carpet and a carpt X scrubbie.

if thats any help.

First you need to decide what you want to consider a hybrid python, is it one that is cross between differant genus, species or races, differant locailty types, differant genotypes or even a back crossed animal. There are all sort of arguements that vary according to what you are talking about.

At the genus crossing level(not sure of technical name), many would argue you are playing god, messing with nature etc. and possibly creating combinations that dont work well, which is a possible cruelty issue. Those that do it would say they are creating unique snakes that can look good. Im not sure if cross genus hybrids are likely to be fertile so tainting breeding lines probably isnt an issue with these sort of hybrids.

Interspecific hybrids are crosses between differant species, they can be fertile in some cases eg. carpet X GTP but im not sure how common this is. Many would also argue this is playting god etc. and it does have the potential to taint pure lines. It can also create differant unique looking snakes.

Intraspecific hybrids are crosses with in a species, as far as i understand generally considered to be crosses between differant races/subspecies. Again you get the same palying God arguement(though probably from much less people) and a high risk they can contaminate pure lines. They can be used to transfer expensive traits between differant animals and also produce differant looking animals, although many can look similar to either parent and easily blend into a pure category if honesty is lacking. These hybrids stronger(probably not the best word) due to heterosis or hybrid vigour. However its hard to consistantly breed hybrids to look similar, which isnt favourable when trying to line breed stuff to all be a certain way that is easily reproduced.

Then there are also hybrids that are simply crosses of genetically differant animals that can be the same taxa. This includes virtually all breeding so is usually not the common use of the word by the general snake keeping public.

In most cases arguements against are purely sentimental although if a stronger animal is produced it may cause ecological or conservation issues if a wild population is formed. Arguements for hybridising are genreally limited to creating differant looking pythons.

That is my basic understanding anyway. Anyone feel free to point out anything that is wrong or add things i have missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back