python vomiting, HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True pottsie, but 1 chuck doesnt suggest anything to panic about.... If he continues to eject feeds, let the worry begin. The snake might have just seen his reflection in his enclosure glass and freaked.... or just had a bad hair day? :lol: The rat might have been bad or off... where does OP get his rats? How did he thaw? Did he thaw properly? A rat still frozen internally can stop a snake digesting?

So, how about we wait and hear if the next feed stays down before we think doom and gloom :lol:

How about it Icarus? Have you fed him again yet? Give us some good news ;)

as the OP, i think it is valid for someone to suggest to me that i take my snake to a vet. If it was an emergency I would of course take my animal to a vet - in this situation, though, I felt I had time to ask for the advice of the experienced snake owners on here. However, oi_itz_blake96 just wrote "take it to a vet" without offering any other advice or suggestions. It came across as a bit nasty/smart-alecky.

I think that's a little unfair to be honest its some peoples first response if any animal is sick to rush it to the vet. One thing I would say apart from what has already been mentioned is that I would wait at least 10 days before I offered any food to a snake that had regurgitated, this is to allow its stomach to settle and for any acid depletion to replenish properly, I would also feed a smaller meal for the first couple of feeds after a regurge. If you do feed to soon you can bring about a cycle of regurgitation which can in some instances be fatal for the snake.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

That could be true endeavour? I look at it the other way, the feed soon after will mop up any juices waiting for a rat that got chucked. Also, the op said the rat was within the snake for 36 hours and hardly digested..... should have been gone by then for sure if any juices were there? I am thinking the rat might have been still frozen inside?
I would be offering food sooner rather than later, if he isnt ready for it he will refuse it? It worked for my monty. I guess op will do what he thinks is right ;)

Last edited:
It takes 36-48 hours for the digestive juices to break through the abdominal wall of a rat anyway, so even in good circumstances the rat would likely come up whole (although a tad smelly because they do rot during that time - it's quite NORMAL - until the strong digestive juices deal with the early bacterial breakdown) in that time.

One regurge does not indicate any tendency for disease - it can happen for a number of reasons and there is often no discernable cause, so a vet visit will be a waste of time in the absence of other indications of illness.

Jamie

haven't given her a feed yet, but bumped up her heat and she's basking happily. probably feed her in the next few days and i'll definately post on here when i do. thanks for your varying advice guys, and i actually mean that. different opinions help cause it gives me options to work on! so thanks xx

Too low a temp can cause this, too high a temp can also cause it, but it usually happens later on when it becomes unbelievably smelly and looks like pink cottage cheese, too large a meal can do this, too much handling/stress can do this, and last but not least, if there isn't enough juice in their stomach they are unable to digest quick enough and regurge to prevent the animal from decomposing and making them ill, try waiting a extra day or two between meals, or drop the size of the food, when i feed my snakes i always puncture the skin (not by the gut) and snip the tail of the dead animal, this will allow the stomach juice to more easily dissolve the animal.

nope, my partner wants to leave it a bit longer. she's gone back to her normal behaviour though - basking and just generally hanging round, instead of hooning around as fast as she can go. i'll definately post on here when we try her again :)

Too low a temp can cause this, too high a temp can also cause it, but it usually happens later on when it becomes unbelievably smelly and looks like pink cottage cheese, too large a meal can do this, too much handling/stress can do this, and last but not least, if there isn't enough juice in their stomach they are unable to digest quick enough and regurge to prevent the animal from decomposing and making them ill, try waiting a extra day or two between meals, or drop the size of the food, when i feed my snakes i always puncture the skin (not by the gut) and snip the tail of the dead animal, this will allow the stomach juice to more easily dissolve the animal.

Why specifically do you cut off the tail?
To allow digestive juices into the body?

Your partner or the snake Icarus? (hooning around) heheheheheehehe

I was wondering why you cut off the tails too? That might be the snakes favorite bit? :lol:

That seems like a lot of unnecessary effort Boa. Hundreds of people successfully feed thousands of snakes every day without having to puncture or remove parts of the prey items

That seems like a lot of unnecessary effort Boa. Hundreds of people successfully feed thousands of snakes every day without having to puncture or remove parts of the prey items

It pretty much is, but since i have only two snakes i need to feed, its not that much more work for me, its just something i have done pretty much from the beginning.

See if they will just take them whole.... save you the time and mess. I find the tail handy for hanging onto with the tongs.... thats why I still have all of my fingers :lol:

See if they will just take them whole.... save you the time and mess. I find the tail handy for hanging onto with the tongs.... thats why I still have all of my fingers :lol:
oh, they do, and i often get lazy and just feed them the rat/rabbit intact, its just my preference to open the skin, they tend to digest it a day or two faster that way.
its also a good practice if the snake has been fasting for a while since its easier on their system.

I'm fairly sure a snake can handle an extra day of digesting more then just fine if it's been fasting for a while. Good practice? Hmm...

it promotes more efficient digestion when the snake is well, and also helps a fasting snake keep food down since it's easier on the system, what is it that is so difficult to understand?

I don't snip the tail every time, i usually do it after sheds, or when feeding young snakes.

it promotes more efficient digestion when the snake is well, and also helps a fasting snake keep food down since it's easier on the system, what is it that is so difficult to understand?

I don't snip the tail every time, i usually do it after sheds, or when feeding young snakes.

This is pure speculation, sounds plausible but would make absolutely no difference to the wellbeing of any snake. This kind of assertion is how newbies can get off on the wrong track very early on in their keeping careers. Comes from spending too much time alone, locked up in your own world I think :)! Maybe you should get out more...

Jamie

This is pure speculation, sounds plausible but would make absolutely no difference to the wellbeing of any snake. This kind of assertion is how newbies can get off on the wrong track very early on in their keeping careers. Comes from spending too much time alone, locked up in your own world I think :)! Maybe you should get out more...

Jamie

in the states this is a very well known practice among pro's, its not necessary, and it probably doesn't make much of a difference one way or the other. someone asked for tips or ideas, and i laid them on the table, take them or leave them. This practice may be completely and utterly useless, however its is absolutely in no way harmful to the snake, im not telling someone to feed 2 rats at a feeding, feed every week regardless of species and age, im not telling someone to put on a top hat, spin in circles, sing marry had a little lamb and feed the snake the first born rat pup drenched in olive oil.

Don't take me the wrong way, im a nice, respectful, open minded and experienced guy, but i don't take kindly to bullying and insults.

in the states this is a very well known practice among pro's, its not necessary, and it probably doesn't make much of a difference one way or the other. someone asked for tips or ideas, and i laid them on the table, take them or leave them. This practice may be completely and utterly useless, however its is absolutely in no way harmful to the snake, im not telling someone to feed 2 rats at a feeding, feed every week regardless of species and age, im not telling someone to put on a top hat, spin in circles, sing marry had a little lamb and feed the snake the first born rat pup drenched in olive oil.

Don't take me the wrong way, im a nice, respectful, open minded and experienced guy, but i don't take kindly to bullying and insults.

Boa2112, as the OP, thankyou for your suggestions. I don't think i will try that as i haven't needed to in the past, but you were well in your rights to offer some advice. Thanks =)

she ate! if you don't hear from me it means she hasn't regurgitated. thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back