Python Yawning

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1jzcefiro

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quite often I catch my jungle yawning or stretching his jaw.
It looks amazing however I have not been quick enough to catch it in a photo.
Has anyone got pics of their python with its mouth wide open?

Show me some pics . . . . .

Look in the jungle python thread there is one attacking and one just lying on the ground having a yawn

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I know the feeling!! Next week's feeding session I'm arming myself with my camera because he tends to yawn after a good feed.

I had never seen, or heard of a snake yawning, until a couple of months ago.
I was doing a little house keeping in my boy's tank. He has a yearling childrens. It did startle me a little, probably due to the fact that my hand was right next to her when she yawned.
She also had a good yawn probably about a fortnight after that, while my daughter (who is only 7), was handling her. She told me that she remembered my story about it, and simply said "how cool was that dad?".
But no pic though :(

Fil...

I always hang out after feeding to catch a glimpse of my wheatie's last 'gulp' to get down his food, looks like a yawn, and sometimes a tail might spoil your shot, but without fail always gets me a good glimpse of his teeth. You should try snapping that if you can't her re-aligning her jaw next time (snakes don't 'yawn' as such from what i hear)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most snakes will "yawn" to realign their jaws after a meal.

sesabepa.jpg

Severely out of focus, but I got a pic of him yawning.

Fil...

I managed to capture Bob yawning FOR the camera :D

It's a 20min video. I select "trim video" and it tells me that the file is too large.

Umm, is that not the reason for the "trim video" function in the menu :shock:

I'll work it out and post it soon.

My darwin does this even when she hasn't been fed. Usually shortly after I get her out of her enclosure.

my Coastal does the same she never did it after a feed it would usually be when she was just sitting still in my lap she was get up and yawn then start to move around. but their jaws shouldnt need to re-align if they haven't eaten as well as the fact that their jaw is a stretchy tissue.

4ubusyde.jpg

vavyzejy.jpg

Have yet to get a chance to trim the video of Bob but I promise to do so as soon as I can.

I actually caught it on camera. I just woke him up and instead of eating he looked at the rat, yawned and then went to sleep for another 30 minutes before he came back and ate.
The cardbox in the clip is used as a "plate" so he wont get any aspen shave bits when he eats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLKQ2H5uxqs

my snakes (albino Darwin and Coastal) yawn all the time! I'm not sure if it is good or not but they yawn after feed ,while handling and plainly just in their enclosure! I think it is just a stretching sort of think or yawning! btw nice video GL8936

One that snakes keepers are familiar with is the yawn-like movement snakes make as they readjust their jaw joints and adjacent bones after the "dislocation" involved in getting large prey through their mouth

Thanks to the Discovery Channel, this is my understanding of the reason for the yawn and that is to realign their jaw bones..

- - - Updated - - -

As promised, a short video of Bob the 14 year old Centralian Carpet Python

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqonvDNshzg&sns=em

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Nice video!

Well, my male have yawned a lot of times when i have awaken him from his sleep. it seems like it in his case would be something related to being awakened and tired similar to us humans.
Otherwise i seldom see him yawning besides after eating and readjusting his jaw joints.

Thanks to the Discovery Channel, this is my understanding of the reason for the yawn and that is to realign their jaw bones..

- - - Updated - - -

As promised, a short video of Bob the 14 year old Centralian Carpet Python

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqonvDNshzg&sns=em

Enjoy.

i only ever see my spotted yawn after hes eaten, my roughie yawns fairly often, after his meals and when i wake him up / hes sleepy, had my first good look at his teeth the other day, hes only little but those things are like knives in his mouth lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back