Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ari

Reaction score
Hi All

Just in the last month I have started to get an interest in pythons, pretty well kept other reptiles in the past but now have a keen interest in various species of pythons. In regards to pricing, would the following be the top 3 most expensive to purchase?

1) Chondro Green Tree Python
2) Womas
3) BHP

I have heard that the womas are the best for temperament, with the Tanami form being the smallest of the 3 forms. Has anyone found them to be difficult to keep as such?

How much would I be looking at paying for a yearling pair of say Tanami Womas? Or is it best to get Juveniles?

Cheers

1) Rough scaled Pythons
2) Albino Olives (or is that the other way around?)
3) Green tree Pythons

I think

Cheers Ouzo

But disregarding Rough Scales & morphs, e.g. albinos & hypo's would my 3x top priced list be close too it?

u'd be looking at about $3000 for a yearling pair, an WA woma's r the smallest form.

Cheers iceman

Is it necessary to buy a pair - even though they are genearally sold as a pair. What if say you were able to score just a female. And if and when you decided to breed just send her out on a Loan arrangement to someone who has the same form but a male? Do alot of you guys & gals do this with you pythons - to get different blood lines and so you aren't mating with same blood lines (siblings)?

I am pretty keen on womas & BHP - 1st preference to womas ( Thanks alot BOA )

if ur going to spend the money u'd be better off buyiny an unrelated pair from the start. but if u want to lend them off on a breeding loan, the deal is 50/50 on the baby's that r born.

Cheers Iceman

50/50 seems fair. I guess juveniles or 1 x female would be fine considering "NO CASH"

I couldnt afford GTP.....impossible

Who the best person to contact re purchasing womas?

Cheers

Try Shane_Aussiepythons, no idea if he has any left though. Also check herp trader they have pairs up for sale there all the time. But $3000 is very low. There is a tanami form pair 18month old now for sale for $5000.

I reckon go with the Black headeds, JMO but I reckon there a far more stunning snake than Womas.. JUST MY OPINION!

ari unfortunatly if u r in nsw you have to upclass your licence 4 a woma. as for price there are plenty of bargains outhere just make sure if you go for abargain have a look at the snakes and if you get it interstate make sure you get it of someone reputable ie photo is of the snake you are buying also that the sex is accurate plenty of people on this website with snakes for sale that have good reputations and dont want to have them rubbishished. ths why most of them do the right thing especially the long time members as alot of people have already done business with them.

hi ari,
i'd look into your local laws on keeping womas, in qld you can have 2 but unless you get a restricted licence you can't breed them, and a restricted licence isn't easy to get if you are only new to owning snakes, same goes with gtp, i'd go for the bhp's as there are no restrictions on them,

cheers,
steve.......

Cheers Everyone

I am in QLD and am aware I can only keep 2x woma specimens as I only have a recreational licence. However the QLD EPA said if they were to breed which I wouldn't really want to happen for a couple of years , that I could then upgrade my licence. I must say I do like the BHP but I dont want a species that gets to big. Aren't womas particularly the WA form smaller that BHP?

Cheers

WA womas are the smallest, mine are just over 4 feet. i have black headeds that are 8 feet. NT womas will do fine in a 4x2x2 foot tank. black headeds need more space.

I wouldnt totally agree on 50/50. What about the time and effort that goes into incubating the eggs? Some people are very particluar in how they incubate their eggs and their record keeping etc.

Simone.

I wouldnt totally agree on 50/50. What about the time and effort that goes into incubating the eggs? Some people are very particluar in how they incubate their eggs and their record keeping etc.

Agreed!! If I was doing the work, I would want more than 50/50. Electricity, time, etc etc...... :)

Thats also why I believe that it is better to buy a pair if you intend to breed. Think of the hassles if somethijng goes wrong. The "other party" will not be too impressed if you called them up to say you lost the eggs and they will have to wait another year. :)

Exactly diamond_python. I
n the case of blackheads they tend not to have as many eggs as other species etc. I know a few breeders have lost some bhp eggs this year and it's not through breeders error. I think 60/40 at least if you were doing a partnership such as this. I think i'd rather buy an unrelated pair straight up and doing it all on my own- or under the advice off other breeders. Saves it coming back on you.

Simone.

here here Simone. Oh, and you can call me DP for future reference or speak with Afrofish and he can tell you one of the many names he calls me :) :)

hi,
i wouldn't go halves, it's the best way to finish a friendship, i know first hand, but if you must, get the deal on paper,
as for getting your licence upgraded, be very careful, my friend was told if she bred hers they would take the babys from her, she also can't get her restricted licence yet, even after over 6 years of keeping snakes and breeding them for the last couple years,
in some places it's not that easy to get your restricted licence.

regards....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back