Quarantine Help - Possible New Reptile

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmalene_bunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just recently there has been some discussion that I might be taking home our office adult male Childrens Python Simon.

He is a very healthy snake, approximately 7 years old, as docile as they come, loves to just be wrapped around peoples necks and just chill and have little naps.
He used be be housed above our old Jungle Python for a long time before I started at my office and there was no change in either to my knowledge and whilst I have been here they where both healthy and active.
I have been working for my company for nearly two years and in that time he has always been a good feeder except for the colder months he generally doesn't eat.
He hasn't had any vet check ups since I have been here, and his last check up he was cleared to be a very healthy snake.

I have been reading up on quarantining snakes as I have a yearling un-sexed childrens python Sebastian at home and he is housed in my lounge room, I haven'y taken my yearling to the vet for any check-ups since he hasn't given me any reason to, he is a great feeder and a great little snake.

I only have a one bedroom apartment so I am contemplating that if it does come to me being his new owner that I would house the new snake in my bedroom as I do not have any switchboards in my small hallway area and bathroom & laundry are not an option due to the sizing and lack of airflow. I did consider having him in the other side of my lounge room, but it still is a very small area and I am not sure if it would be best to keep him in their because of the quarantine specifics.

I have been reading up on quarantining and reading past threads to make sure that I have all of the information and fully prepared if I am to bring him home.

To my understanding, and please correct me or please advice what is more suitable for the following.

- To be housed in separate rooms for a minimal 6 months.
- To be using separate equipment and not letting them come into contact at any time when cleaning or feeding eg Tongs, water bowls, housing items.
- After a hold of one snake, proper sterilising and hand washing before coming into contact with the other snake.
- Record keeping of how the new reptile is doing in the new environment & how my current snake is going with the new reptile to be able to compare any changes in behavior, eating ect.
- Using only newspaper as substrate to help identify any changes in disease, parasites and abnormal faeces.

All suggestions and information would be most helpful and I would really appreciate any advice that is given to me.

Em :)

That all sounds sensible. Good luck with your new baby :)

I think what you've said above is a good guide. I always handle my new additions last on cleaning/feeding days too.

That's very thorough, it shows that you're as prepared as you can be for the possibility of a new arrival. I always do my regular collection on one day and the Q animal a day later, only to ensure that there is no accidental cross contamination via clothing or any other medium... It's me being paranoid but it has worked for me with 100% success so I don't question it.... I also do 12 months as a minimum, just to be safer with a vet check before any new additions find their way into my reptile room...Again paranoid weirdo here....

Thanks everyone, under the circumstances now it will be a definite that I will be taking care of him now, my favourite boss who owned him and helped me with getting Sebastian and my whole set up for him has been in the hospital all week on life support and has passed away this afternoon. I will be making arrangements this weekend to make space for him to bring home early next week.

Sd1981 I was also considering the 12month minimum, I am now planing for both of the snakes to have a vet check up in about a two months or so after he has settled into his new environment, I wouldn't say you are being paranoid, I would say that you are taking the maximum precautions to ensure the health and safety of all of your reptiles. I really appreciate the suggestions you have made to me.

Em

Last edited:
Yay! So exciting E_Bunny! Congrats on your new guy ^.^ But we need some piccies :D

Sorry to hear about your boss. :( enjoy your new additions tho. xoxox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back