Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deano

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Does anyone in this list keep different species of monitors together? Like Lacey?s with Merten?s or Merten?s with Spencer?s, will they fight or eat each other? Just asking because I have Lacey?s in a big pit but have no room to keep the other cool guys I only have the one pit, thanks guys.

I have only really heard of Laceys and Heath monitors being kept together. Laceys get a lot bigger than Heaths but they seem to get along. And large laceys also get along with Laceys alot smaller than them so i would say that Laceys, Mertens and Spencers would be okay as long as the pits big enough. I'm not sure how well Spencers or Mertens would do outside in your area, though.

I reckon Lacies and Heath monitors and probably Spencers would be fine. I wouldn't keep Mertens with other monitors but would certainly keep them with other lizards like Water Dragons and Bearded dragons.

boa said:
I reckon Lacies and Heath monitors and probably Spencers would be fine. I wouldn't keep Mertens with other monitors but would certainly keep them with other lizards like Water Dragons and Bearded dragons.

Are you serious do you own adult mertons?

I wouldnt have thought monitors could be kept with other lizards but Steve Irwin's zoo has a mertens, waters and beardeds in one enclosure and bluies, cunninghams and a mertens in another enclosure

Mertens are one the only big monitors I would keep with other lizards, so yes I am serious and as has been said they do it routinely in many zoos. :D

Shewhomustbeobeyed said:
boa said:

Are you serious do you own adult mertons?

they do lots of things at Zoos that most of us private herps wouldnt dream of doing and Zoos tend to have worse and more frequent medical problems than we do.

Yeah that might be right but doesn't change the fact that Mertens can be kept with other lizards :)

Thanks for all your reply?s guys, I went to feather dale and I seen a young heath monitor in with different species of dragons, like beardies and water dragons I just thought I would bring that up seeing the pic of the mertens.
Ill try and post some pics on the weekend of my enclosure, it is a big enclosure with plenty of hide spots so I think having different species of monitors together should be ok, thanks guys.

snakehunter said:
here is a pic from one of the pits at Australia Zoo

Crikey Well slap me and call me susan I wouldnt have belived if hadnt seen it (sure you didnt photo shop it) just kidding

On another note though zoo do lots of things we dont.
The merton looks particularly well fed.

Do some research mate do not listen to well meaning misinformation there are plenty of experts out there who are only too willing to help. Speak to your local zoo A good Reptile vet etc. Not hobbyists

You seem to be contradicting your self a little bit. From what you were saying in the waterdragon/bearded dragon thread you seem to have very little knowledge in what you are actually talking about, particularly with keeping different species together. I have seen everything from Brown Tree Snakes and Taipans being kept together, to Red Bellied Blacks, Different Species of Turtle, Water Dragons, Bluetongues, Water Skinks and Jacky Dragons being kept together in zoos. In the latter case the different species were breed regularly, which shows that stress is not a major issue.

Maybe you should actually do the same as what you tell others to do and
Do some research

I am not interested in having an arguement with you, as I have much more important things to do than arguing with someone on the internet.

Mcdowelli said:
Do some research mate do not listen to well meaning misinformation there are plenty of experts out there who are only too willing to help. Speak to your local zoo A good Reptile vet etc. Not hobbyists

You seem to be contradicting your self a little bit. From what you were saying in the waterdragon/bearded dragon thread you seem to have very little knowledge in what you are actually talking about, particularly with keeping different species together. I have seen everything from Brown Tree Snakes and Taipans being kept together, to Red Bellied Blacks, Different Species of Turtle, Water Dragons, Bluetongues, Water Skinks and Jacky Dragons being kept together in zoos. In the latter case the different species were breed regularly, which shows that stress is not a major issue.

Maybe you should actually do the same as what you tell others to do and
Do some research

I am not interested in having an arguement with you, as I have much more important things to do than arguing with someone on the internet.

The fact remains it is BAD HUSBANDRY and frought with perills for the novice.

Not a monitor I know but a cute pic of a turt, tiger and skinks sharing some quality time :)

Dean, I know of several people with large outdoor pits with 4 or 5 different species kept quite happily together. They don't seem to be stressed, actually just the opposite, they often bask sat on each other. There is certainly no scientific basis to not keeping different species together. Keep them well fed and roughly the same size and there should be no trouble at all.
It is definitely NOT bad husbandry.

Legend Boa that?s the answer I was after, cheers mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back