Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do u live? Maybe someone close to u can come over and help. We had a lovely man from this site come over and help us with our blonde spotted and he just came in and picked her up lol. Made us feel abit better about picking her up.

Awesome advice Fay...... My first thoughts with super bitey anteresia are too small a food item.... I know because when I got my first snake I didnt know anyone in the reptile industry and my poor spotted was only given pink mice for months.. I was terrified of it until i finally tracked down someone who was prepared to help me and showed me what size it should be eating.... lol that was oh so many years ago now...

I just had a look where you are, drop Fuscus a PM as I understand it he is close by and might be able to help you out. Or Star9 as she is also on the Sunshine Coast. Don't be in too big a hurry to give up.

Last edited:
Good advice all round peeps. At the end of the day this is a learning curve for the OP. We should try to encourage not discourage their participation and involvement with reptiles whatever shape or form. It's easy to be critical but I'm sure most of us on here had to start somewhere.

Personally I have taken a conservative approach. I went with the beardie first and have now got myself 3 x Central Netted Dragons. Very shortly we will be adding a Woma to the collection. The reason for my delay???? I have wanted to research keeping snakes thoroughly and learn about the species I am deciding to keep prior to making a purchase.

At the end of the day you can't beat hands on experience. Doing research and the like at least gives u a foot in the door.

iv got the same issues. iv managed to pick my baby up but only once. my friend whos got snakes just came in and picked him up and that gave me alot of confidence in picking him up because he didnt stress out or strike at all. do you live on the sunny coast? if so where abouts?

It says in the first post that they are at Sippy Downs, Pretzel. It's amazing how quickly your confidence grows after a few times picking them up.

Please explain what this snakes hygiene has to do with the OPs problem???

from the OP saying they have had a python for 2 months that eats well, but they cant change the water or paper substrate. i take that to mean the python is living in 2 months worth of faeces with no clean water

from the OP saying they have had a python for 2 months that eats well, but they cant change the water or paper substrate. i take that to mean the python is living in 2 months worth of faeces with no clean water

'i am worried to change her water and paper now' ; not the same thing as not doing it imo.

I believe they said they are getting more worried at changing the paper and water, not that they haven't done it in months.

A simple solution until you become comfortable enough. Go to Bunnings or any hardware store, get a half meter long piece of wide down pipe and get them to cap one end. Get a spare cap that will fit over the other end but don't have it permanently fitted.

Put it in the enclosure as it's new hide. When it's in there, grab the spare cap, put it on and tape the cap onto the open end, then you can remove it with snakey inside and clean the enclosure :) Then just undo the tape and remove the cap to put back in.

Take your time with introducing yourself to handling. There's no rush for you to be a pro handler in such a short time.

I just had a look where you are, drop Fuscus a PM as I understand it he is close by and might be able to help you out. Or Star9 as she is also on the Sunshine Coast. Don't be in too big a hurry to give up.

+1 great advice also Snakewhisperer Aaron lives up at Caloundra he might be able to help out?

There is also a local herp society on the sunshine coast too that you could find someone to help mentor you as well

To the Op we all have to start somewhere but with support and encouragement we all know that you can overcome your fear.

Tagging is part of owning a python once you realise being a small breed that it really doesn't hurt then your able to put the rest behind you and enjoy the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
It says in the first post that they are at Sippy Downs, Pretzel. It's amazing how quickly your confidence grows after a few times picking them up.

lol sorry didnt see that, was pretending to be paying attention to my lecture whilst on the forum

I can understand the problems with snakes. I'm yet to reach my first year anniversay as a pet owner and I still have troubles. I recently got two 2yos. I've never had such big snakes before. I have nervous problems with them and have had situations where they have done damage to me, but with some patience and very careful handling you can both get used to each other. I used to take them out of their cages when I was cleaning it with a hook, but now I'm half and half. My Wenlock Jungle and HY Diamond, let me pick them up when they feel amenable and I can put them into an aerated tub so I can clean.

My first snake I got last year was a problem for me. She was a yearling and before I got my 2yo's thats all I dealt with, smaller carpets. Didn't make me feel any better. I was squeamish about having them near my face. Till I got my third snake, my Bredli, shes a darling, helped give me more confidence in manual handling till my two older girls came along.

I wish you luck with whatever choice you make with your pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back