reliability of the internet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dossy

Reaction score
just the other side of a galaxy not to far from th
i see alot of threads on here where someone will ask something and they get flamed for not googling it, be today i googled inland tipan area map and i found a map that had the area around shark bay in W.A shaded, i have also seen on a website ( about 2 years ago) that the snake in the picture was a dangerous/ venomse snake and should not be agitated, since then i have lernt that it was actuly a jungle python

one other website i came across whane i was about 12 years of age that stated that cobras were an australian and africcan native...i do not belive that there is an australian native cobra

one other small question to save me starting a new thread
is a snake immune to its own venom/ to its own type of venom

like if a brown snake was bitten by a brown snake would it be ok and if a brown snake bitits self would it be ok??

I seen many Browns bite themselves with no ill affect

it would appear that not all snakes have immunity to their own venom....Ray Hoser published a paper on Austrelaps not having self immunity.....while I have need seen a copperhead bite another one it makes sense.....they are the only Australian elapids that when male combat occurs the heads are seperated from each others.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Would this be the same man who has published that snakes only bite when physically harmed, goes in about how gentle he is and yet constantly remarks about how many times he and his staff are bitten by his own snakes......how reliable is the information that is published?

Would this be the same man who has published that snakes only bite when physically harmed, goes in about how gentle he is and yet constantly remarks about how many times he and his staff are bitten by his own snakes......how reliable is the information that is published?
Hee Hee Hee. I'd let all my vens bite me too if I knew I didn't have to go for a sleepover at the the local hos!

Sean,

I am not getting into a Ray Hoser thread here.....he published a paper on it...it needs to be taken on its merits...All the photos I have seen of labialis and ramsayi in combat have their heads apart....there is a pic in Rick Shine's book of superbus in combat again with the heads apart.....every other genera I have seen combat have the heads close together....do you have a feasible theory for this other than Ray's???

Cheers,
Scott

one other small question to save me starting a new thread
is a snake immune to its own venom/ to its own type of venom

like if a brown snake was bitten by a brown snake would it be ok and if a brown snake bitits self would it be ok??

And how can BHP's ingest the venom and survive?

the red lines under the words you type indicate you should give it another go dossy

Darlyn, you could ingest venom and survive, your digestive system would break it down to its constituent amino acids just fine.

in regards to hoser, he has flung so much mud against the wall that some has stuck (ie the recent acceptance of of some of his morelia work) and if i can push the metaphor, i think some of the other mud may have been thrown accurately.

copperheads eat copperheads, i know from experience, so i wouldnt be surprised if their venom was as effective within the species as it is on other reptiles

Last edited:
When putting a pair if Pseudechis porphyriacus together some years back the female became agitated and attacked the male. Things were not working out so I removed him. When I returned from work the next day the male had basically become a bag of mush. I dont know whether it was because he had limited exposure being captive bred or if other things came into play.
As an aside, the female ate her intended beau the following year.

I don't see hopw a venomous snake, which was not 'immune' to its own venom, could survive its first year of life. They must occasionally suffer abrasions or injuries to their mouths and soft tissues when biting or subduing prey, and presumably venom would be part of the saliva mix, so how could it not be resistant to the effects of its own venom?

What a silly argument!

Jamie

the red lines under the words you type indicate you should give it another go dossy

Darlyn, you could ingest venom and survive, your digestive system would break it down to its constituent amino acids just fine.

in regards to hoser, he has flung so much mud against the wall that some has stuck (ie the recent acceptance of of some of his morelia work) and if i can push the metaphor, i think some of the other mud may have been thrown accurately.

copperheads eat copperheads, i know from experience, so i wouldnt be surprised if their venom was as effective within the species as it is on other reptiles
Last edited by jack; Today at 12:08 AM. Reason: added a superfluous criticism of another member's spelling, because i am a teacher working late and fed up with carp spleling​
One would think that a teacher so anal about his spelling would proof read and make the neccessary corrections before hitting reply.

yes jack red lines under words do say i need to give them another try, but im on my ipod and it dosnt show red lines so i must be correct :p

and steve if your having a go at him for having a go at me dnt worry, i take most things in my stride :D

On a simplistic level I can see why you would think that Jamie but as we know toxins are not simple. There is a study there waiting to be undertaken.

Some of my captive occasionally bite themselves in anticipation of a feed with no ill effect, but, during a recent relocation, I have had first hand experience of an RBB biting another in an attempt at cannibalism. The larger animal evaded capture (wasn't located)while the smaller individual was brought into care. As Peter stated above, the rehab was dead and basically a "bag of mush" the following morning. Here's "chewy" prior to his demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back