Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanna

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I live in South Australia and I have never seen a python in the wild, as much as I would love to! My question is, are there even any pythons that are native to SA? I tried a google search and got nothing :( The only snake I have ever seen is Eastern Browns, and they aren't much fun to look at obviously haha.

Also, what would you say to be the best state for native pythons/why?

Im not sure but if u type Arod into google u should be able to find what snakes are native to SA, arod is an online reptile database, its very useful. :)

Womas , black headed , childreni and gammon ranges are just a few i can think off.

No sorry was thinking of a re- introduction program but it was Woma Pythons not BHP.

Good to see people know there stuff , and can correct my post.
I only said childreni as i handed a injured python over to NPWL officer and was told thats what it was. Guess he was generalizing.

I didn't know that stimson's were in SA :) Would that be more regional areas? I live in the foot hills but even with all my travel around SA I have never seen anything :(

@Albino93 - I checked out the website but couldn't find a section on SA pythons :/

@Albino93 - I checked out the website but couldn't find a section on SA pythons :/

Then just look at the distribution map for every aussie python on there. It is a very small group it would take about 2 minutes.

u can either click on the pythons category on the left hand side and just go through each python species to see their location or u can click SA on the australian map which is on the home page, this however will give u a list of every reptile species native to SA. As far as im aware woma's, stimsons, and gammons ranges are the only pythons u'll find in SA.

Stimson's Pythons can be found in northern regions of SA, even Womas can occasionally be found in the most northern areas of desert. Carpets are seen now and then in southern and eastern coastal regions.

Okay thanks :) Will do.

- - - Updated - - -

According to AROD there is only Stimsons, Woma's and carpets (although it did not specify any specific subspecies.) How strange, stimson's and woma's are my favourite pythons before I even knew this :)

Who thinks their state is the best? :p

- - - Updated - - -

According to AROD there is only Stimsons, Woma's and carpets (although it did not specify any specific subspecies.) How strange, stimson's and woma's are my favourite pythons before I even knew this :)

Diamonds are native only to the East coast areas of NSW and upper Vic.

Someone mentioned Gammon ranges carpets, which I understand are a sub-species or local variety of Inland/Murray-Darling Carpets. Apparently the wild populations are dwindling, but they're common to buy as captive bred. They've got a great easy going temperament too, plus very pretty IMO.

There is plenty of wild coastals on my place here in south east Qld :lol: I think most of them are in my rat shed..... again :shock::rolleyes: I have also seen a couple of brown tree snakes, brown snakes, Whip snakes, Bandy Bandys, Blind snakes..... I have a big black and yellow monitor I bust looking in my rat shed quite often too....

From what I have heard, probably the whole east coast green belt (Vic,NSW,QLD) still has plenty of wild pythons, I am a Qlder but not really biased..... but I think Qld might be the easiest state to find them in, closely followed by NSW (especially northern NSW)

I don't know enough to comment about wild pythons in WA/SA/NT..... but I bet there are plenty in NT :)

I think every state has its up's and down's and I have a close connection too three states - Victoria, QLD and NSW.

I like Stimmies, dont really like Woma's and some carpets are nice - Bredli, Some Coastals and Jungles.
Each to their own I guess :p

Being in Melbourne and not much of a traveller, I'm unlikely to ever see a wild python. The only (living) wild snakes I've seen were Red bellied Blacks in Vic on two separate occasions, and a Brown snake (or so I believe) in outback Qld.

Wish I could see some wild pythons in SA! I consider other states lucky lol. I'd love to be able to see more native reptiles in their own environment I've seen plently of beardies and shinglebacks and skinks (my brothers and sisters used to catch and release them on a daily basis when we were little!) But for some reason I am actually quite terrified of lizards :S Although I love my snakes! I am yet to see any native snakes apart from the occasional eastern brown :( that is why I would love to live in a regional area for a bit where pythons are common :)

In Port Stephens, at my place I have had to date:
2 red bellies, one is a frequent visitor, though havnt seen her since Autumn :(
(The only reason I know it's one snake is because she has half a tail and it kinks. And the only reason I say she is because there was a few younsters roaming here when we first moved in.)
3 Beardies, 1 died, 1 looked pretty old and havnt seen him this spring yet, 1 juvenile, saw him yesterday.
2 Diamond Pythons, 1 Big Adult, 1 High Yellow sub Adult (someones pet maybe?)
2 Blue Tongues - 1 Male, 1 Female - Had a clutch, saw one get killed only a couple of days old I reckon :(
Thats about it I think :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back