Religious or Not - with Poll

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am:

• Religious - regardless of faith

Votes: 49 24.7%
  • Atheist - including agnostic

Votes: 149 75.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i belive in SCIENCE and PROOF.....

science isn't about having proof, its about the quest for truth....

almost everthing is "theory"

what essentially differentiates science from religion (in the context you use) is that science can be tested.
a dropped apple DEFINATELY falls, and will fall everytime....
why it falls is theory, much like religion

Good luck when you prove the existence of gravity and its cause, maybe even prove how big the universe is...

Interesting - the fact I teach this stuff... And I still don't believe a lot of the junk we feed our kids!

Wasn't it in the 1600s when the Catholics ridiculed Galileo Gallaleilie's idea that the world wasn't the centre of the universe and we revolved around the sun not the other way round...

He had a tough job proving that one - but nice of the Catholics to hold us back by several hundred years.

The good news - They apologised to Galileo's family in 1990 :) Good on yer popey!

its amazing to think how advanced we could be now, had muslims had "control" of europe through that period instead of catholics....

always wanted to write a "man in the high castle" style novel about it...

specifically about how different science would be, and how different islam would be (without the crusades having happened)

science isn't about having proof, its about the quest for truth....

almost everthing is "theory"

what essentially differentiates science from religion (in the context you use) is that science can be tested.
a dropped apple DEFINATELY falls, and will fall everytime....
why it falls is theory, much like religion

good point , now i will have to add theory to my list .lol.
science , proof and theroy ..

there still is no proof in science....

accepted theories, are still theories.... and will change to sometihng "more right" when disproved.
but is unlikely anything will be proven

Forensick,

with reference to your question:
sloth... ever asked people their particular "branch" of athiesm (non-theism).... its always "irked" me to be lumped in with agnostics, when the "principles" of my belief structure are as defined and absolute truth to me as religion is to a theist.

I guess the simple answer is NO. As it isnt really of interest.
The main question which i focus on is: a person is either:
theistic - they believe in a supernatural thing which is behind it all or
atheistic - they dont believe in said supernatural thing
I will generally lump agnostics in with atheists purely due to the fact that agnostic in the true sense of the work can account for all levels of theism or atheism. Thus in the context that most people consider themselves agnostic it becomes a probability thing and thus the correct term is technical agnostic practical atheist.

Getting back to your question though, an atheist or theist can still be an existentialist and for that matter an absurdist as these are a belief system regarding the meaning of things, not really of how it came to be.

But it is good to see that people arent fighting yet.

Crusades - and even Aristotle signified the end of science for around 1600 years!!!

Aristotle wouldn't listen to people about the model of the atom and it wasn't until the 1800 when the model came up again (when people felt it was safe to do so).

I'm not anti religion of course... I just think that those who are pushing science as a belief... you need to do the study, cause most science still is a long way off.

Imagine if you could go back in time right now with the knowledge you know, even just 500 years - even at a year 10 level you'd be burnt at the stake if you tried to tell these people that we have atoms or many other common knowledge things.

But if I could go back in time - maybe we could give the Romans a world map.... hmmmm Imagine that - they would have conquered the western world - wouldn't it be a different place. Or even the Greeks - though I'd have to assassinate Aristotle first.

:)

Forensick,
Getting back to your question though, an atheist or theist can still be an existentialist and for that matter an absurdist as these are a belief system regarding the meaning of things, not really of how it came to be.

i am well aware... afterall camus (the father of the absurd) was a theist.
that is why i describe myself as an existenital athiest for the most part, although truth be told, the nature of my beliefs lie more in the absurd than the existential (although these days everything from the absurd to nihlism is considered existentialism)
my point being, that in many ways the structure of my beliefs, my faith if you will, actually sees me having more in common with a theist, than an agnosic, or the stock standard "just don't care" athiest......

slim6y.... the model of the atom is quite outdated now....

they electrons don't orbit.... the exist at all points in all orbits, at all times

slim6y.... the model of the atom is quite outdated now....

the electrons don't orbit.... the exist at all points in the orbit, at all times

I'm sorry Forensick - but when did I elude to what model I was talking about - yep ;)

The Quantum Mechanical Model is still quite accepted nowadays - and is still taught. But there's several newer models than that still....

But we teach the QMM one for the time being until told otherwise!

I'm sorry Forensick - but when did I elude to what model I was talking about - yep ;)

The Quantum Mechanical Model is still quite accepted nowadays - and is still taught. But there's several newer models than that still....

But we teach the QMM one for the time being until told otherwise!

we get in ALOT of trouble at uni describing it like that...
although we still get told to think like that when it comes to how many electrons in each shell etc

Im sick of people knocking on my door telling me what I should believe in
Once some guy was preaching on a main street, yelling out how god loves every one, then right after that, as I turned down the flier he offered me, started yelling at me that I was going to bun in hell!? So if this god you speak of loved everyone, then why would he let me burn in hell? seems a bit unreasonable
btw I was about 7 or 8 when this happened, trying to scare me into religion.

Forensick to think that the electron is in all points of all orbits is wrong. The electron in some form is somewhere even if it is less of a particle and more of an energy distribution and can never be found.

i am well aware... afterall camus (the father of the absurd) was a theist.
that is why i describe myself as an existenital athiest for the most part, although truth be told, the nature of my beliefs lie more in the absurd than the existential (although these days everything from the absurd to nihlism is considered existentialism)
my point being, that in many ways the structure of my beliefs, my faith if you will, actually sees me having more in common with a theist, than an agnosic, or the stock standard "just don't care" athiest......

Ok as said, existentialism etc, is a belief system around why. That is completely philosophical it is not a question of how. Which is what theism or atheism question is.

Thus you can be what ever you want with regards to the philosphical reasoning, but at the end of the day, you are essentially an atheist or a theist.

Thus it doesnt matter if you consider yourself to have more in common with a theist because of your philosophy to the why, or ethics or what have you.
The poll is about whether you believe in the supernatural ID principle or the evolutionary princple of atheistic views.

Again everybody please keep it civil

my honest opinion is that religion has caused all of the worlds problems.

therefore i dont understand them and that makes me not like any and choose to live life to the fullest not knowing what tomorow will bring

Ok as said, existentialism etc, is a belief system around why. That is completely philosophical it is not a question of how. Which is what theism or atheism question is.

Most religions tackle the 'why' aswell

So what do i think
Religion is a bit of a mixed bag, On an individual scale it can help people gather their lives together and get on with things for others it causes serious mental health problems and can result in suicide. On a social scale it is just as much of turmoil. It can help people to be kind, generous and giving or cause fractions, violence and war.

I have seen many of the problems religion can cause first hand and personally could never encourage the teaching of morals based on old stories rather than logic and statistics.

my honest opinion is that religion has caused all of the worlds problems.

therefore i dont understand them and that makes me not like any and choose to live life to the fullest not knowing what tomorow will bring

damn str8, dont live our lives by what a book says we should do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back