Relocation Scrubbie cage.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

Here's the carcase for the relocation Scrubbie I picked up earlier this year. It's 2100mm (L) x 900MM (H and W). I chose 30mm pine as it's a little colder in Armidale than Cairns:)! I'll post updates as it nears completion, if anyone's interested.

Attachments

• small scrubbie 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    small scrubbie 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 160
  • small scrubbie 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    small scrubbie 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 115
How old is the scrubby? Look forward to seeing the final pics!

Your guess is as good as mine, Mr Boyd. It's approx 2.5 metres at 2.9 kg, if that's any indication. Good appetite, though and nice disposition.... so far:)! I'll be sure to get a few of the new inhabitant as well.

building a 1800x1000x650 for my pair of coastals. looking forward too seeing how you set yours up. im putting a bird hide in the roof of mine in the cold end so i can mount a light to the bottom of it and it becomes a duel functioning, night basking spot and heated hide. Fantastic idear i think, any comments anyone?

Very nice. I like the wood, looks good. I want to see the inhabitant ASAP please. Yes- do post updates as well.
Good idea pharskie!

please dont flame me as im delicate... but thats a pretty small cage for a scrubbie of that size. 900mm high is nothing. it should be a 2.5 m all round enclosure

I'm not a flamer:)! This will be it's permanent enclosure, unless we move to FNQ, then an aviary style cage will be on the cards. Room sized enclosures are very hard to heat in cool climates and I can never replicate wild conditions in captivity (no 40 metre trees with butressed roots available). This sized enclosure should make maintenance easier and can maintain an optimal thermal gradient. ATM, it's in a quarantine cage of 4x2x2and is feeding on everything offered, putting on weight and becoming alot more relaxed around people/ handling in general.

Mine lives in a box 500x350x450mm, @4+ metres is this too small? The rest of the enclosure is far larger but it doesn't use it much.

The two I have seem much the same. My juvie from this season has a 4x2x2 and spends the vast majority of his time in a 100mmx150mm hide or curled up on the branch just above it! I've always wondered how applicable that oft mentioned formula of 1xlength of snake, 1/2 width of snake, 1/2 height of snake really is?! To my mind, maintaining a suitable thermal gradient is more important, at least where most snakes are concerned.

Finally finnished:)! I'm happy with the end result, a combination of usable habitat and the KISS principal. I'm yet to introduce the Scrubbie as it's in shed ATM (and a large water container), but here's a few pics of IT. I assumed it is an adult, but already two shed cycles (and counting) in a few months! as you can see, even though in shed and vulnerable, it still chooses to bask out in the open.

Attachments

• Q2 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Q2 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Q2 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    Q2 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Quarantine enc 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    Quarantine enc 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Scrubbie Enclosure 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Scrubbie Enclosure 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Scrubbie Enclosure 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    Scrubbie Enclosure 004 [1600x1200].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Scrubbie Enclosure 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    Scrubbie Enclosure 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 123
Good job with the enclosure and the very pretty scrubbie. He/she looks very healthy now. I'm so pleased you got to keep him.

Great cage IV :) He'll last ages and do great in there, don't worry...to all those knockers of the enclsoure size, this cage is even bigger than what many scrubby owners (and well respected herpers at that) offer these snakes, I can tell you.

Just something to think about though - the heat panel (I'm assuming that's what it is?) in there - is there any way he can get up behind that, in between the panel and the roof? If he can, then be guaranteed he will ;) Scrubbies are champion climbers, and although there could be a risk of a burn should he wedge himself up there, I'd be more frustrated if I had to try and pull him out of that tight space haha.

Cheers,
Trent.

Hey vanaras where did you get your wood from and also what size is it I work at a pine process that joins that pieces that way were they like a board or single Thin pieces? Also did you seal before use

Looks the goods IV and a good story all round with this one. solid looking enclosure, I bet you know it when you grab a hold of it to move it.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, much appreciated:)! Hope some may find it useful for future reference.

Thanks for the heads up Trent, I completely overlooked this to be honest. I'll have to run some angles around the perimeter of the panel as it's sure to test any weakness. I've had to seal those computer ports with silicon already, as I placed the Scrubbie in there once while cleaning his temporary cage and he pushed the ports completely out and was heading for the rafters, in less than 10 mins!!

Grizz, are you offering to give me a hand:)?!

krOnick, wood from Bunnings, each panel is 2100 x 900 x 30, all sealed with 3 coats of "Aquaclear Satin Acrylic".

I would mate but after the move it's a bit far. Would have to make the trip worth while and go find some New England herps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back