reptile expo at the easter show, pic heavy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hrafna

Reaction score
hey everyone, i was helping out at the expo today, i got a chance to meet some amazing herpers, see plenty of animals and get to talk to the masses about snakes not being all that bad! plus i did my share of glass cleaning! :) first pic is the winner of best in show, the albino inland carpet.DSC_8423.jpgDSC_8424.jpg

DSC_8410.jpg
pencil.png

Attachments

• DSC_8399.jpg
    DSC_8399.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 298
its a pitty they only had it for the children day :(
because i went the day before

DSC_8445.jpgDSC_8446.jpgDSC_8451.jpg

DSC_8475.jpgDSC_8447.jpg

got plenty more pics but this will do for now. my fav person from the public today was this 1 old guy (70-80ish) who was asking me some very sensible questions and then thanked me and told me what we were all doing was a great thing, educating the public about the truth of reptiles. he wished me luck and stated he wished they would do more with school kids with reptiles, frogs and other natural wildlife, perhaps even making it part of the curriculum.

Last edited:
I was at the show yesterday and ironically that whole room was filled with 'pet' rats the day before lol

The only problem is......... it's at the Easter Show!!!!!!!

I love the carpets and shingleback

I was at the show yesterday and ironically that whole room was filled with 'pet' rats the day before lol
i had one lady complain that today should have been a mice and rat day aswell, they lost a day to fit us in and someone turned around to her (from the general public) and said, "i am sure they won't mind you bringing your rat in today, although you might not have a rat to take home!" i had to stop myself from laughing.

and all the rodents "mysteriously" disappeared
wow sounds like it was a better show than anticipated? although there doesn't seem to be many people around just going from the photo
and oh yea, awesome shingleback *drool*
how much were they going for if i may ask?

and all the rodents "mysteriously" disappeared
wow sounds like it was a better show than anticipated? although there doesn't seem to be many people around just going from the photo
and oh yea, awesome shingleback *drool*
how much were they going for if i may ask?
these were all pics before it opened to the public. as to rep sales, any listed as for sale didn't have prices attached.

What's the criteria for judging does anyone know...like dogs n cats have a standard to go off to start judging then go into colour pattern placement of pattern etc etc. If I rocked up with a normal looking animal say a N. Levis (Gecko) and then a brighter coloured animal was in the same class who gets the top prize? Is it the one that represents the original animal in the wild (a standard) or is it im the judge and I like that one best here have first place. Any links or info on Judging would be great thanks guys. Thanks for the pics btw :)

What's the criteria for judging does anyone know...like dogs n cats have a standard to go off to start judging then go into colour pattern placement of pattern etc etc. If I rocked up with a normal looking animal say a N. Levis (Gecko) and then a brighter coloured animal was in the same class who gets the top prize? Is it the one that represents the original animal in the wild (a standard) or is it im the judge and I like that one best here have first place. Any links or info on Judging would be great thanks guys. Thanks for the pics btw :)
i was asked this quite abit and the only response i could say is that there are several criteria such as health of the animal, lack of scars etc etc but because it is relatively new comapred to dogs and cats, what is being judged is still being defined and when more morphs come out in future years then the judging criteria/categories will change.

Thanks for the reply. You can't judge an animal without a written over all standard sorry to say. Otherwise it's a personal perception of what is best by the judge and no one wins in the end when that's the case and is pointless to have a show. Sure a showing of animals is good for the public to see and be educated but makes us look a bit silly when we can't inform outsiders who ask of what our standards for each species are.

I have shown dogs, Japanese Koi, Goldfish, Cichlids (tropical fish) etc and want to show reps as well but until there's a written standard it's just a farce imo.

Last edited:
Went to the show on saturday,was disapointed when i found out it was on the wednesday.They had the pit with someone walking around with a lacey etc on each day,thats what put me off in the programme guide,got the two mixed up.

there were 3 judges looking at each animal, i believe. then either total score or average score was used. generally i would direct the person to someone who has more knowledge than myself.

there were 3 judges looking at each animal, i believe. then either total score or average score was used. generally i would direct the person to someone who has more knowledge than myself.

Thanks, are any of the judges on APS?? would love to chat about the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back