Reptile Pit at School

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Boy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello every one.

I have been talking with my school principal and head science co-ordinater and they are letting me turn some of the garden area into a reptile pit/outside enclosure.

What reptiles would be good for sydney conditions and that wont fight/kill each other?,

it has a pond big enough for a few turtles but is there any fish that the turtles wont eat and vice versa?

Any advice?

the lisence will be under my science co-ordinator. her & i will be doing the looking after and teaching the other students about reptiles/looking after and keeping etc.

what materials and places to get materials to build around the area ( the same materials basicly as the pit peterjohnson has maybe difftent, and what space requirments should it be depending on the animals inside the pit so we can figure out the estimate of how much we will need for everyting.

Thank you

Damien

hmmmm i think it will be well protected so people cant get rubbish and junk in thier as people will feed them random crap probably which could be very dangerous for them will it be able for all the kids to see at lunch and recess or is it seprete my school has a ag farm which need a key to get in.

i;d put ewd, eastern beardies, eastern bluey and maybe some cunninghams

hmmmm i think it will be well protected so people cant get rubbish and junk in thier as people will feed them random crap probably which could be very dangerous for them will it be able for all the kids to see at lunch and recess or is it seprete my school has a ag farm which need a key to get in.

apart from me every opther student will need to have the science co-ordinator with them it will be locked and away from the playground, the area is not accesable with out as well as i said the enclosure will also be locked

+1.

I think though what ever you put in there.. Don't be surprised if they get stolen etc :(.
I was just thinking the same thing - you would want to try and make it pretty secure. Good luck with it :)

better contact NPWS and check if you can do this. who will hold the licence for these reptiles? it wont be a private collection, so maybe some type of zoo licence would be required

it will only be for the students but, my old school were keeping cbd's in the science class room. the reptiles will only be viewed by a few students but.

i will contact them tomorrow with my teacher but.

Great initiative. Couple of thoughts:
1. Ensure adequate drainage. The word 'pit' implies something below ground level, when in fact is should be above and have the ability to drain away flash floods easily. It's been a very wet week in Sydney, so imagine what would happen if it doesn't do this.
2. Ensure the ability for the reptiles to find escape from those scorching days. When the air temps go above 40C the herps need somewhere cooler-below ground is ideal as temps are lower, but these places could be death trap if it rains.

eastern beardies - central beardies go well with blueys (i think) not sure bout easterns tho. if your gonna get a turtle, get an eastern long neck (c. longlicolis or something like that). maybe cunninghams also.

good idea tho!

spend $ 250 on a good enclosure & keep it in science room or some where locked over night & weekends...dont want it to go 'walkies' with someone

Be sure to let me know which school it is, what reptiles will be in there and the approximate time that the cleaner finishes each afternoon.

How much funding is going to be allocated for ths project?

Going of the top of my head your looking at about $3000 to completely secure the pit. The sad thing is that it will only be secured from birds and stray cats etc. It would be a very costly procedure to complete.

While it is a good idea does your principle know the costs involved? I just can't see a principle allocating funds to a project like this.

Indoor reptile enclosures are a far safer option, especially if they can be placed in a secured room on a second story to prevent people smashing through the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back