Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kruger88

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Anyone purchased any reptiles from a zoo/wildlife park here in Australia? Anyone else on here a zookeeper?
Just wanting to know what zoos if any you have interacted with?
A new policy from the Zoo Aquarium Association will now make it easier for private keepers to get access to zoo stock so just interested in peoples past interactions and thoughts on getting animals from zoos/wildlife parks?

never got any from zoos before,though know some folk have got stock from melbourne zoo,some zoos generally wont though,but alot will have excess,im not sure they advertise it though

zoo whould want to much $$$$ for reptiles
cause
zoo are big [ lots of power ]
power isnt cheap

I got some saw-shelled turtles from lone pine koala sanctuary a few years ago. There was no hassles permit-wise, the price was less than normal breeder prices and the info provided was top quality.

Would recommend it and would do it again in a heart beat.

Bill

yep zoos are big,power is pricey,hence why they sell excess,to save on power ect,not sure on prices but believe some folk get quite good deals like last poster

no matter what they sell for,if someone buys them,to them they are worth forking the money over for

I got my children's from snake ranch, which runs out of the australian reptile park here in somersby.

I got my children's from snake ranch, which runs out of the australian reptile park here in somersby.

I was about to ask if anyone had dealt with them with snakes, I have a baby saltie that comes from them (I am licenced under DPI for it not NPWS before anyone asks)

I have a permit issued by the nsw dpi, took a LOT of paperwork and *** kissing. I put in a good 2 years of ground work before it was granted. Comes with a billion conditions though and if it wasnt for my qualifications and experience I doubt it would have been granted.

i got one of my womas from snakeranch they were great to deal with

also @Krugger88 i always wondered what you had to do be allowed a croc in nsw , i knew it was possible because theres a guy at that does shows at the coffs harbour pet porpoise pool that has one could you explain in anymore detail what you had to do , like what qualifications and experience you had to have and restrictions on keeping them if you don't mind

i'd like to get my hands on a pair of white lip pythons from taronga zoo but i dout they will part with any,
unless oversea's.

Kruger you'll have to show us feed time with your saltie, cheers leigh

When I eventually am able to get a snake I'm getting mine through the Armadale Reptile Centre here in WA.

I do some volunteering there each week so I'll get a discount when I do get one :D

I know people that have bought reptiles from both Melbourne Zoo and Healsville Sanctuary, at very good prices. Ie. $50 for an adult Coastal Carpet, $150 for an adult Scrubby etc. Not all zoos are money hungry...

When I eventually am able to get a snake I'm getting mine through the Armadale Reptile Centre here in WA.

I do some volunteering there each week so I'll get a discount when I do get one :D
Very good little park run by very nice people. My brother, a couple of mates and myself visited there last year. My profile pic was taken there.

Last edited:
i got one of my womas from snakeranch they were great to deal with

also @Krugger88 i always wondered what you had to do be allowed a croc in nsw , i knew it was possible because theres a guy at that does shows at the coffs harbour pet porpoise pool that has one could you explain in anymore detail what you had to do , like what qualifications and experience you had to have and restrictions on keeping them if you don't mind

You have to be licenced under a non-indigenous animal permit (or and exhibitors permit) issued by the nsw dpi, they assess them on a case by case basis, I know of 5 other private keepers in nsw with crocs and all have similiar qualifications, your very bare minimum is a certificate 3 in captive animal management, you then need to prove at least 12 months experience in working with or around crocs (they ask for experience working with neonates to the giants) and have at least 2 references to say you have what it takes (mine came from some big names). You need to prove your enclosure will be secure and comply with dpi rules and regs and you need to provide a plan of what will come of the animal when it gets bigger or should something happen to you (mine goes back to reptile park in the event i can no longer care for him). The dpi have sadly in recent years become less willing to grant class 3a and 3b permits to private holders but its still possible if you put the effort in. Its not a cheap investment though, for licence your looking at $80 a year and enclosures run around the $3000 mark, plus you need your certificates and be prepared to kiss a while lot of *** ;) I will upload some pics later on of my little guy for you guys to take a look at :)

I am just starting out in the zoological industry and have several years paid and volley experience at two facilities. When the smaller facility closed down and the stock was sold I have a copy of the sales and I think most people would be very surprised at the sale price of almost all species. even when the smaller place was under normal operating conditions some animals were sold or traded at ridiculous offers.

zoo whould want to much $$$$ for reptiles
cause
zoo are big [ lots of power ]
power isnt cheap
Not necessarily, zoos will only sell if they have excess stock, in which case they are more likely to flog it off to save on space, heating, feeding and staffing costs. Obviously depends on the institution (ie: smaller family parks might ask 'normal' price but larger zoos might just want to get rid of them) but I suspect more often than not they would be cheaper.

Edit: I should also add most zoos would put dealings with other zoos ahead of selling to private keepers, a lot of zoos are in an arrangement where they need to offer stock before getting rid of it by other means but in tern have the chance to claim offered stock from other institutions.
AND also it's more likely that keepers might take excess animals or breed animals at the institution just so they can get them into their private collection, this also happens well before anything is offered publicly.

Technically I don't think that counts. The snake ranch arrangement allows the owners to collect on the zoo permit and transfer to snake ranch to breed them - genius, and a good money spinner on the albino bluetongues. Although they're closely associated snake ranch is a breeding facility not a zoo so I don't think it counts.

Last edited:
I know someone who got his GTP's from Cairns Zoo but have been told they no longer sell to the public.

Anyone purchased any reptiles from a zoo/wildlife park here in Australia? Anyone else on here a zookeeper?
Just wanting to know what zoos if any you have interacted with?
A new policy from the Zoo Aquarium Association will now make it easier for private keepers to get access to zoo stock so just interested in peoples past interactions and thoughts on getting animals from zoos/wildlife parks?

What zoo do you work at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back