Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the big legal question is, Why is NSW being restricted in selling reptiles?
If Qld, Canberra & Melbourne can, why is legislation holding NSW back?

So the big legal question is, Why is NSW being restricted in selling reptiles?
If Qld, Canberra & Melbourne can, why is legislation holding NSW back?

For the same reason QLD can't keep mammals or the vast majority of softbills - they restrict them because they can. To change the legislation is an admittance that the prior legislation is flawed.

they restrict them because they can. To change the legislation is an admittance that the prior legislation is flawed.

Seriously there must be a more viable reason than that?
Admittance & changing a flaw would only lead a profit...it's a win-win situation for both NSW herps & the govt.

I remember when kellyville pets had this little python package I think it was like 10 years ago. you got a little bug catcher type tub, a children's python, a book and a little heat matt all for the low price of $600, the snake was sold off site of course. I wonder if they'll bring back this offer if pet shops were allowed to sell reptiles, we can only hope....

I remember when kellyville pets had this little python package I think it was like 10 years ago. you got a little bug catcher type tub, a children's python, a book and a little heat matt all for the low price of $600, the snake was sold off site of course. I wonder if they'll bring back this offer if pet shops were allowed to sell reptiles, we can only hope....

If memory serves me, it was actually the owner of K/Pets who bred the children's python so it was like a dodgey "under the counter deal". I think he also got caught & fined for breeding/selling chipmunks & hopping mice.

I'm not surprised. unfortunatly this whole hobby over the years has proved to be one of the most dodgy hobbies iv ever come in across. to keep that passion alive and your mind on how good the animals are you just need to just get your herps at a good price from good people and get the hell out and keep your head down. When I was moving alot of animals maybe 3-5 years ago I would be offered drugs in exchange for animals I'm not talking about abit green either.... Iv got offered exotics, stolen laptops and phones with people's faces still on the wallpaper with the phone having to "be unlocked" even tho we made an agreement to meet up and sell the snake for a price, very awquard. Ridiculas offers at the time of which resulted in me just walking away....Some of the people you come across when you start moving alot of animals you see the veration in idiots. Maybe its the hobby maybe it's Sydney area maybe it's both but iv sold all my animals and plan too only keep a few and not breed because of the fact that people made me that sick I didn't want to keep herps anymore.....I'm slowly enjoying keeping again which I'm not going to let fools ruin....I pretty much don't tell anyone I keep snakes anymore because I'm sick of people showing me photos of corn snakes and boas draped around fools wereing dry fits and tns.....plenty offers from pet shop employees and owners for exotics aswell. Well I guise they do have bills to pay (who doesn't)

With governments who dont know how many "puppy farms "are out there producing x number of mongrels on a daily basis , how do they think they can control the breeding and sales of reptiles ? .
i have bought some finches over the past few years that looked good in the shop and dropped dead within a week -- go back to the shop / breeder and they make all the excuses and its all my fault but none of my existing birds have died !! .I have no one to complain to as most are cash tranactions ,as with the reptiles
All of these cash transactions atract the government as there is lost revenue amongst other things, so they want a piece but how to collect seems to be the issue . JMHO 8)

I'm not surprised. unfortunatly this whole hobby over the years has proved to be one of the most dodgy hobbies iv ever come in across. Maybe its the hobby maybe it's Sydney area maybe it's both

I hear this all the time....problem is its not just the reptile hobby. Its just human beings in general. Doesnt matter where you are or what hobby your involved in, the fact is a majority percentage of humans are grubs. Best to find a few mates you can trust and stick to yourselves. Dont tell anyone your business, mind your own business and let the trash do what they do.

Worst idea ever granted it will expose the hobby more but with that comes more irresponsible keepers( not pointing fingers but we all know there out there) it also proposes the same problem we have with reataly available pets and that people but them for kids to keep them happy and before long you end up with homeless and abused cats and dogs this is not what might happen to reptiles in will 100% happen forgetting the fact that dogs and cats are easy we are going to have a lot of dead reptiles.

I hear this all the time....problem is its not just the reptile hobby. Its just human beings in general. Doesnt matter where you are or what hobby your involved in, the fact is a majority percentage of humans are grubs. Best to find a few mates you can trust and stick to yourselves. Dont tell anyone your business, mind your own business and let the trash do what they do.

I disagree, iv been involved in Japanese car enthuseists, bodybuilding, fish hobby, bird hobby and many more and most arnt that bad. But the reptile hobby has, overall, imo the most tossers.....I'm going to stop there I don't want to go too underground around the honest people at surface of this forum, aslong as you don't go sniffing around the wrong places you won't find these dangerous people and you won't even know they exist, which most people would be better off....peace out

I used to keep and breed a large collection of parrots and lorikeets and I found the bird hobby to be worse than than reptiles. Sure most of them dont look as dodgy as your average reptile keeper and tend to be better educated, but you cant judge a book by its cover. Theft was rife in the bird hobby...way more than in the retile hobby. Most of the big players regularly dobbed each other in or stole from one another because of jealousy and greed. I know the same thing happens with reptiles but not to the same degree. Although its getting worse for sure.

The fish industry is better for sure but theres not quite the money that birds and reptiles generate. I dont want to sound too negative, but your right, there is a lot of imbeciles out there. All I'm saying is that their everywhere.

Last edited:
That's exactly right theft is huge in the bird hobby but they just don't use the persons details on people like they do in the reptile hobby, iv got mates that have been black mailed and all sorts of scary stuff you don't get with the bird hobby, people's lives been changed with them having to walk there top end pythons out the front of their house pretty much just giveing them away for the sake of there family safety. Calling the police in some situations won't do jack if you don't have the right connections. Thankfully iv never handed my address out or freighted so Iv only experienced idiots when trying to sell animals....but yes keep your address secret, make good mates and buy from reliable people then you've got nothing to worry about....you could always consider the loan shark and night club owning scene if your board Shane...

Last edited:
Being a 'grub' humanbeing does not restrict itself to the reptile hobby, I can assure you.

Word gets around pretty quick in the reptile industry and I am sure it would be the same in NSW as in Victoria. The shops with good stock and advice will continue to grow and the crap ones will slowly get pushed out. Plenty of places have tried selling reptiles in Vic because they think that's where the $$$ are, but soon find out there is a bit more to it than putting in a Bearded Dragon and a couple of Pythons. More have scaled down or shut down their reptiles in Vic, and although there would probably be a free for all at first, I think it would sort it self out after a year or so with the better ones the only ones surviving.

It's offical. Pet shops have been given the go ahead in the sale of reptiles. More news to come with species, codes of practice and other important information. It's a step forward for the hobby and love of reptiles. Just hope people don't get it for the sake of it being "cool" to own a snake etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back