Road kill...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bennyboy6

Reaction score
I was on my way home from the movies with my girlfriend last night and a snake came flying out of the grass onto the highway in front of our car, my girlfriend dodged it but the car behind must of hit its head cause by the time we turned around and came back it was curled in the middle of the road with cars driving over the top. I ran out with the little torch i had and identified it as a BEAUTIFUL water python and pick it strait up before more cars came. It didnt look too healthy(not moving too well) but it was still alive and had no visible damage. I brought it back home and tried to keep it warm and support its body and after 15 minutes or so it died in my arms. I HATE ROAD KILL ESPECIALLY SNAKES!!! I've rescued a fare few snakes from being finished off by another car but ive never had one die in my arms.:(. Most snakes ive rescued have been pythons(mainly scubbies) and all have been nurtured back to 100% health and released into the wild, away from cars in the best invironments i could find to suit them. I'd like to tell you all about one 4.5m scrub python i watched get hit by the car in font one time. the snake was on top of a crest at night so the car in front couldnt see it, as the car came over the hill the resting python lifted its head to get an 80km/ph uppercut, the car kept diving...some how the snake(i named her blade)wasnt run over with the wheels but wasnt moving. its head was twisted sideways and as i sat next to it it started to regain coniousness. Then it was a sad site, trying to move with its head on a 90degree angle and started tring to throw curls over its self i grabbed it head cause i could see what it was tring to do and it used my arm as leverage and we pulled her neck back into possition but her jaw was still busted. i put her in the car and took her home. I got all the ticks off her with tweezers the next day which she freely let me do(i'd done this to others before and they seem to love it). She still had neck problems and couldnt catch prey with her jaw so i started giving her massages behind her head and on her jaw muscles. Her head was the size of my fist and sometimes she would wake up with her kneck kinked and start twirling in circles cause of the way she had slept. This massaging became regular and she loved it, she would be freely roaming my house and i would be watching a movie and she would slide down and curl up on my lap and i'd give her a deep massage for the length of the movie. Her jaw and kneck recovered after 8 months and i eventually found a nice big mango tree full of fruit bats to realese her in. I had a 3 bedroom split level house which i turned one room that got the morning sun into her own. I use to take this snake out onto feilds and walk 50m away from her and she would still come find me and curl up on my lap.haha. Crazy i know, does anyone else have cool wild snake stories???ben.

I forgot to add that my friends that work at the zoo are doing a roadkill servey at the moment and its rediculous how many native animals are hit, especially water pythons around the cairns northern beaches at the moment....

Last edited:
We should call you the Snake Whisperer. You really have a way with them by what I have just read.

Thanks banjo, I never write anything up on here so i thought this was a good one to contribute, im sure there are heaps of other good tales and encounters out there...

p.s. maybe ill change my profile name.lol

Last edited:
Thanks banjo, I never write anything up on here so i thought this was a good one to contribute, im sure there are heaps of other good tales and encounters out there...

p.s. maybe ill change my profile name.lol

I think that name has already been taken, keep up the good work though, as people like you go a long way in changing the average Jo's opinion on snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back