Rude Avatars

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a problem with the avatars, leave the site, its quite obvious they arent changing, this has been argued many times.

Build a bridge, get over it and stop acting like christian house wifes.

Brodie I don't think that people do take this issue too seriously, we just talking and expressing our personall opinions. I am sure that when some avatar is to ofensive, mods would act and sort things quickly.

@Brodie_W, Actually I only know of one that has refused to change, most people understand that in a public place you should show some kind of respect for others and their beliefs, even if they are in the minority, clearly something you have yet to learn.

Brodie_W said:
If you have a problem with the avatars, leave the site, its quite obvious they arent changing, this has been argued many times.

Build a bridge, get over it and stop acting like christian house wifes.

I'm not so sure, mate.

Yes, it's been argued many times, and I don't know what the final outcome of this discussion will be, but to my mind, it's like tailoring your conversation to suit the environment.

I mean, if you are at a church social, the polite thing to do is restrain the language. Most polite people do it. If there is a risk of offending some members of the company you are in, most people refrain from saying anything to offend those present. It's only polite. It doesn't hurt to do it, and is easy enough to do. Picking suitable language (or avatars) to suit the "lowest common demoninator" is not terribly difficult.

Those who do use bad language in the above circumstances are usually doing it to attract attention - else why do it? Perhaps the same thing applies with avatars. What's the motivation behind picking avatars that are likely to offend some people? No really, I'm curious to know the reason behind it. I guess I'm asking for opinions here, from the people who did have "borderline" avatars to consider their motives, logically and unemotionally, and tell us about their reasons for picking the avatars they did as opposed to picking something snake/herp related.

My personal opinion is that's it's just not necessary. But hey..... it's just MHO. ;-) The avatars in question do not offend me personally, but I can see how they may offend some - i.e. the people who have said so in this thread.

ok... that's my 2 cents worth....

Well said David.

Now I do understand reason for at least one of the discussed avatars.

I understand this david, but this isnt a church social or something, is it? I would imagine at something like that, people would be well mannered etc.

I respect others and their beliefs, but come on this is pety, there are many other problems on this forum that need too be discussed before this one, its not a big deal. How many times do you see revealing advertising? Are you going too complain too the advertiser over a chick in a bikini? no!

You miss the point, Brodie.... absolutely no offence intended.

No, this isn't a church social. That was just an example of a scenario where you might modify your behaviour to suit the surroundings. The same principle applies, no matter where you are. The only reason I chose to comment was because a lot of people seem to think it's worth commenting on - look at the size of the thread.

In any case, I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong - was just giving my opinion and asking for feedback as per my last post. That's all. :)

Lol yeah I know you were just making comparisons, but what I was trying too say is that people at a church social would share similar interests. Same as here, we are all interested in reptiles in one way or another, so lets get over stuff like this and talk reptiles!

When you walk through a shopping centre with your child, do you walk up too a gal wearing revealing clothes and tell her off? Same principal here IMO. I think people need too get over it

:shock: Not sure if any of the get over it's where directed at me. But as I said before I don't have a problem with the avatars at all. As for Dee's avatar my daughter is 11 and asked if she could save that save the whales avy to show her friends. She saw Sherms bouncing titts too and stated she hoped hers never got that big. All I was saying is I can understand where people with kids are coming from. But yes if you worry about your kids seeing stuff like that, dont read the forums while they are around.

lol Shimarah

Brodes, Did you do realize that some place in the States has fines for people who show off their underwear in public?? lol Please don't make me look for a link :lol:

This is meant to be site were people can come in and read/talk about there herps. As some people have said, you see this kind of stuff all over the T.V and internet. If you want to look at that sh#t then go look at it some where else and don't bring it here. Plain and simple!!!!!!

Guys, at the risk of sounding like a complete prude, I do sort of take offence to them.
I am by no means a conservative female - hey, I was Goth and took great pride in strutting my stuff!! lol. But, have always thought it was unnecessary. After all, this site has nothing to do with trying to get ppl 'excited' but everything to do with herps. I don't see the connection.
A couple of them I found quite appalling to say the least, and I confess, I it certainly created an impression in my mind of what that person would be like to meet - and I wasn't that keen.
But, unlike some ppl, I have been through a few 'things' that have made me this way. Each to their own, but yeah, in this sort of forum, those sort of pics weren't appropriate TO ME. My opinion only ppl, and plz, no one have a go, I have genuine reasons for getting squeemish over that sort of garbage.
Bex

And turtles and frogs and crocs, hey, theres my avatar! lol I chose it because, i like it and wish I could keep one! If anyone is offended at my croc avatar please let me know! :D looks like its smiling like the proverbial croc too !

Sorry Craig, don't freak out on me :)
This was the first time I had seen this thread, hence the late response..

beknluke said:
A couple of them I found quite appalling to say the least, and I confess, I it certainly created an impression in my mind of what that person would be like to meet - and I wasn't that keen.
Bex

thats a bit closed minded isnt it??

Also, if a female member had the same bouncing avatar i did, would the fuss really be so long????? Seriously??

I highly doubt it.

Teamsherman said:
beknluke said:
Bex

thats a bit closed minded isnt it??

Also, if a female member had the same bouncing avatar i did, would the fuss really be so long????? Seriously??

I highly doubt it.

Sherms - trust me, I can find fems as offensive at times as males. It's just the way how sometimes ppl can be can be so Crude.
Ask Zo, I will get JUST AS WORKED UP about females carrying on. And I would be equally ill if they were putting up pics of half nude men.
Like I said, don't have a go. Unfortunaely for me, I have a very good reason for feeling ill when I see such rubbish.
No one is right or wrong here. It's just ppls opinions and this is mine.

Alan,

Were you not the one who had a go at Bryony for having a bouncy boobs avatar. Hmm, last I checked she is female.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back