Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol ,I know. i wish i was on a farm like you.. 8[ , they are $2000 each, if you bred them you would get a nice return, although saying that GTP's are even better....But im not really in it for the money, i just love reptiles. Cr4p...im hijacking my own thread.... lol, back on to subject.

lol, the only money im in it for is to buy the more expensive reptiles coz im not gunna afford it otherwise. back to subject do you keep the sandies outside in winter?

Lol ,I know. i wish i was on a farm like you.. 8[ , they are $2000 each, if you bred them you would get a nice return, although saying that GTP's are even better....But im not really in it for the money, i just love reptiles. Cr4p...im hijacking my own thread.... lol, back on to subject.

Jinin, you cannot be a good Reptile Keeper if your just in it for Money, and you should not even think about getting a Perentie Monitor, unless you have plenty of room to house them outdoors all year around, in Central Australia which is one of the areas they a found in the wild, they can travel as much has 5km in one day looking for either food or a partner, so they shaw do need plenty of room to roam around in outdoors all year around, which plenty of hiding places and very high temperatures to keep warm.

Lol, yeah greeny they are Class 1, Mines Class1 (I dont have class 2 Licence)
On Class 1 you can keep the following:
-Pygmy Mulga Monitors(V. Gilleni)
-Ridge-Tailed Monitors(V. Acanthurus)
-Black Headed Monitors(V. Tristis)
-Sand Monitors(V. Gouldii)

You should defiantly buy one man! they are awesome, PS im looking for a 2nd as soon as i get this 1 sexed!

BFG: i know lol, but ill be good at cleaning by then and i wont mind cleaning up, it will have to be done! I allways help clean up the house before parties.etc but with 5 people helping clean 1 house its pretty easy. Haha Will, thanks, hes not bad(Except hes shedding at the moment haha) i bought him as a Desert Sand Monitor, they are supposed to have different markings, orangy colours and are smaller than the v. Gouldii Gouldii, but im thinking now, that he may just be V.G. Gouldii not V. G. Flavirufus(Desert Sand). anyway thanks everyone for posting.

Jinin, your also spot on that your Sand Monitor is a Varanus Gouldii Gouldii, its not a Desert Sand Monitor-Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus, like my ones are, that l no-longer have access to anymore, and l sincerely miss their character or personality, Sand Monitor's shaw do have alot of character, and they are also quite intelligent and knows whats going on around them at all times, and can be very aggressive towards the hand that feeds them, so be very carefull when you feed your Sand Monitor.

Last edited:
Yeah i know, are some people only in it for the money? also thanks for that Bluey i bough my monitor off URS who said it was indeed a Desert Form, yea guess its not now lol... ahh well at least i get a bigger lizard now lol and i love him anyway haha. i wouldnt plan getting a Perentie any time soon as i exoect the first time i will even consider buying one will be in 10years time, by then i will hopefully have a 10m2 indoor enclosure for them! anyway lol, thats ages away, i should probably start saving up..

haha listen to you kids complaining about having to clean one single room.
wait till you have the whole house to clean, especially after parties.

u rock star u ;)

Sorry, Got Side Tracked with Christmas and all! Anyway got back into it yesterday, cant work today because its raining. I first started by getting about another 20 of the same type of pavers i had already used for the inside and piled them up 2 pavers high, under the pine sleeper, I leveled them out so that the sleeper would not move at all. I put the pavers under to raise the glass and i did this so that the Sand that i put in will not put too much force on the glass. Dad helped me with the rest: We got 3 Railway sleepers(Which i stole from our gardens back steps) and stood them up tall, one went on the wall, we screwed that into the brick wall and into the pine sleeper underneath it. The next one went towards the rock wall and will be used for the gate that i will put in place i nthe next day or 2, it was only screwed into the sleeper as it had nothing else it could be screwed into.. the other one was anchored into the rock wall with some masonry bolts, that will also have the gate attatched to it. we then cut up some thin pieces of pine to place on either side of the glass, so that it is sturdy enough to hold the glass up in strong winds, which actually made the whole thing alot more sturdier than it was. We put some of the pine on either side of the glass along the bottom, left side and right side. We finished by putting the glass in place, and i must admit it does look quite nice 8]. Heres the Pics of yesterdays work(hope you like them)!: next thing i will do is the roof(Which i still dont know what to make it out of, i was thinking of either Bird mesh, Mesh, Perspex, glass or corregated iron. Anyone?)

Attachments

• Pit-Wall Sleeper.jpg
    Pit-Wall Sleeper.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Pit-Glass.jpg
    Pit-Glass.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Pit- LvlPavers1.jpg
    Pit- LvlPavers1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Pit- Gate1.jpg
    Pit- Gate1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 92
Coming along very nicely.
Is that 6mm glass?
I would just make a horizontal fence off the highest parts of the enclosure the sandy could climb out of (if you get my drift). So even if he does climb the wall or something, there will be a fence stopping it going any further.

Coming along very nicely.
Is that 6mm glass?
I would just make a horizontal fence off the highest parts of the enclosure the sandy could climb out of (if you get my drift). So even if he does climb the wall or something, there will be a fence stopping it going any further.

That was my first intention, then i thought of the potential risk of him being severely massacred and torn apart(Going into detail. lol) by cats... so 1st up i though... get some tin or corrugated iron, bend it so he cant grab over it and climb then attach it to the wall. but i also want to make it steal-Proof and an open-top wouldnt be the best for that. thanks for everyones Comments!

It would sort of ruin the effect of the glass if you put mesh over the top of it joining up to the glass.
You may as well have just used mesh front and top and not worried about glass at all.

But if you put perspex or glass over the top, then the lizard wont be getting enough UVB or sunlight as the glass will filter it, also it would really limit the amount of ventilation...

that looks good. i dont think u should use coregated iron coz its really hot underneath it, i was in a ceiling the other day with a coregated iron roof, and it was at least 5 degrees hotter than in the room. i recon u should use mesh, coz then cats cant get in, and it cant get out.

Will

Thanks Guys, i know what you mean bfg, and yes.. if i did use perspex or glass i would have to supply a UV source. Do you reckon cats would even realise? let alone go in?
I know what they are like though they are sneaky and kill anything for fun.

Well it depends when are you planning to put him in? If you wait for a bit till he is older, then the cats would defanately avoid him! Just use some mesh or maybe a car port cover? to attach over the top, how do you access the enclosure?

Well... i plan to put him in ASAP hes about 50cm at the moment and i must admit he would be an easy meal. I access the enclosure through a gate(Yet too add it) but you can see the space where its going(to the right) in most of the pictures i have put up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back