Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to own a snake you need to be prepared to handle it. One of my Coastals was fed two days ago and has been basking under her light since but the globe blew last night so I had to remove her to replace it. You need to keep in mind that things like this will happen. As you could imagine she wasn't overly impressed with being disturbed. I'm actually amazed that some on this thread even bought a snake.

I am new to snakes. I got my first snake 3 weeks ago, a hatchling spotted python. I have handled it briefly twice. The first time was to take it out of the bag and put into the tank. I was not scared and enjoyed it. the second time I had to put my hand in the enclosure and the same thing happened to me as what happened to you. my problem is that I am a naturally a jumpy person. I jump when the phone rings, so naturally i jump when i first make contact with the snake, its not that im scared of been bitten, it has already bitten me and it was fine, more of a shock at the sudden movement for me. I dont want to hurt the snake, but I too get edgy when picking it up from the tank.
I have pet spiders and im the same with them, I dont handle them but care for them well, yet if they strike at a 30cm pair of tweezers with me on the other end I will jump. Despite this I still love my pets and wouldnt give them up for the world.

I got my first snake Jan 08, a Jungle Python, the first couple of weeks I got tagged every time I handled her which was nearly everyday. Now i stick my hand in, she crawls up my arm and sits on my lap on the lounge. I'm no big tough man either, just a girl with a love for animals. If you love it, you'll pick it up... :)

You don't just grab a snake and pull it out of it's enclosure, because if you are scared you may grab it too hard and hurt it.

If it is little, get a piece of paper towelling and put over it's head....then put your hand around the body and pick it up. If it is an adult snake place a pillow slip over it's head and do the same thing.

Putting something over it's head gives it something else to think about instead of striking.

;)
You don't just grab a snake and pull it out of it's enclosure, because if you are scared you may grab it too hard and hurt it.

If it is little, get a piece of paper towelling and put over it's head....then put your hand around the body and pick it up. If it is an adult snake place a pillow slip over it's head and do the same thing.

Putting something over it's head gives it something else to think about instead of striking.
Good basic motherly advice ,dont get much of that on here .!!
We have 2 stimsons each one an idividual , sid 18mnths if you put your hand in to pick him up you will get bit --- use a hook tell him there no food pick him up no problem .
nancy 6mnths wont eat a rat if its not lying on the floor of her enclosure [dead ] motionless ] just put your hand in and pick her up .
I guess its somthing you have to learn they all behave differenty and when you do get bit its usually your own fault ;)

Hi there Groove,

My little female was very snappy, she was only small. I got some white cotton gloves and it was easier for me to pick her up even when she bit me. You could try a pair of new washing up gloves. At least your getting him out but not actually touching him with your skin. That may give you a bit of confidence, it helped me heaps.

Hope that helps you.
Bec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back