Scrub halp D:

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems as if my scrubbie is in her waterbowl all the time to cool down O_O
I put the digital thermometer inside her cage and it was peaking at about 38.5C on the (supposedly) cool end of her enclosure. The humidity is at 30% so that seems to need bumping up too.
I've set her heat lamp to come on for 15 minutes every couple hours just to keep the heat up but not too much and spraying her enclosure still.

Edit: Got her temps down to 30.4C and the humidity up to 53%. I am never trusting analogue thermometers again :D

Last edited:
That snake seems very dryed out. Paper substrate is a must. When offering food next time put the python into a light globe box with a warm prey item and leave overnight, if nothing happens by the morning wait a week and try again. Also keep handleing to a minimum.

When i got my 2 i had feeding if i even moved slightly in the room they would spit out there meals and just concentrate on me that is why the light box woks so well.

You can also try rubbing the mouse/rat in some cheap chicken noodle soup

An easier way than setting a timer would be to either get a much lower wattage heat globe or invest in a thermostat to control the temperature for you. I agree that a cool end of 38 is way too hot and was probably contributing to your recent problems.

@ Ricko: I invested in a hygrometer and now keeping the humidity above 40%. I was also told about mulch being good as it retains moisture and humidity so I'll invest in that when I can, but paper seems an idea. As for feeding, I don't have too many boxes that would fit her snugly but I'll have a go at making one.

@ Tsubaka: I bought a dimmer thermostat online yesterday so I'm waiting for that to come through the post. I'll have it linked up to a timer anyway so I don't have to keep unplugging it :D

Sounds like the high temp is part of the problem. I'd rather keep her without any heating until you get the thermostat. 38 can possibly kill her. Forget about the mulch until she is feeding without any problems, as it is a lot easier to keep the cage clean,. I keep my hatchlings in their incubator for the first months, 30 degrees 24 hrs and they start feeding pretty much straight after their first shed.
Don't forget the soaking, at the temps she has had she is most probably constantly dehydrated.

Yeah, I'm turning the light on just to keep the temps above them being too low for about ten minutes each time and never letting it rise above 32-33C. Spraying contstantly to keep the humidity above 40% and never below 35% for now. Should get the thermostat through soon.
Trying to feed her a rat pup now, see if she takes it and using the method with dipping it in chicken stock to see if she likes the smell of that. If she doesn't eat now then I'll wait until I get the thermostat through, keep her at 29-30 degrees for a week and try her again to see if she wants food.
She's not spending as much time in her waterbowl as she used to so I'm assuming that's a better sign for hydration.
I'll keep you all updated to see how she is doing.

Thank you to all of you, you've helped ease my mind ever so much with tips and things so hopefully she will eat soon :D

Got my thermostat through today. Putting her enclosure at 30C. Tried feeding her yesterday but no result so I will try again next week when she has had a constant temperature instead of it being too hot or too cold.

Last edited:
Just looking at your pics, what is that on the back of her cage? It looks like old foam of some sort? If it is I'm wondering if that is the cause of the white powdery dust that she seems to have on her...

Fantastic news!
I left Lust (yes, my scrub python is called Lust) in a cardboard box overnight, put the box into her vivarium so she didn't get cold, and slapped a rat pup in there.
Low and behold, the rat pup was gone and Lust has a lump in her! I've never been so happy over an animal eating before.

Thank you ALL so very much for your support and advice. I wouldn't have known what to have done without your tips and tricks on the matter.
Give yourselves a pat on the back for this.

I had a jungle not eat for it's first year! I was force feeding it for about 8 months, then at christmas a year after hatching, WHACK! it was on and has never looked back, I know the excitement and relief you must have felt!! congrats.......

try smaller encloser a 10 liyre click clak is more than enough even hatchies can go without food for months so dont stress what temps are you geting from a 60 watt bulb you could try gently rubbing the mouse/rat along the upper kneck good luck

try smaller encloser a 10 liyre click clak is more than enough even hatchies can go without food for months so dont stress what temps are you geting from a 60 watt bulb you could try gently rubbing the mouse/rat along the upper kneck good luck

you haven't read the whole thread, have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back