Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
caramelrpm1.jpg

LARKS,
Is your animal (cyrus) a true ORANGE PEPPER or just a really good hypo and is it a RPM/JAG? I ask this becuase myself and SXR are the only 2 people who have animals of that age, as I didnt sell you that animal and neither did SXR and SXR were the first to breed and coin the name ORANGE PEPPER it would be good to clarify. The ORANGE PEPPER/CARAMEL gene is very unique and completely different to the hypo genetics, above is a pic of a true ORANGE PEPPER or CARAMEL not a hypo RPM/JAG.....

IHAVEHERPS,
Simon you are right in what you say, neuro defects are and have now occurred in our JAGS. Anyone who thinks that they wont are kidding themselves......IMO we wont have it occur as regularly but it will happen. I currently own 8 adult and holdback RPM/JAGS and have never once seen any signs of neuro defects in these animals.

Last season I bred 13 and 1 showed signs within a week of hatching only for the signs to disappear shortly after....This animal was given to a friend who reports that the signs presented again recently after the animal was moved, to my knowledge this animal has now been humanely euthanised and IMO any animals that I breed in future that present neuro probs will be euthanised.

The remaining 12 juveniles are in the hands of other keepers and recent reports all say they are powering and growing strong with no signs of neuro defects, some of these animals have been posted by other members in this thread.....

So all in all, neuro probs have and will present in Aussie RPM/JAGS, however more than likely it will only present in a very small minority.

Quite right, this belief that for some bizarre reason those bred here wont be affected by neuro issues is laughable. The neuro problem CANNOT be bred out of Jags no matter how much fresh blood is introduced.
The problem does only manifest itself rarely and many animals show no signs at all, even those that do show signs lead a healthy life and will breed as readily as non Jags. Personally I wouldn't euthanise any obviously affected animals, partly because they may not show any signs until they are years old or have already bred or are just subjected to some kind of stress.

View attachment 160207

LARKS,
Is your animal (cyrus) a true ORANGE PEPPER or just a really good hypo and is it a RPM/JAG? I ask this becuase myself and SXR are the only 2 people who have animals of that age, as I didnt sell you that animal and neither did SXR and SXR were the first to breed and coin the name ORANGE PEPPER it would be good to clarify. The ORANGE PEPPER/CARAMEL gene is very unique and completely different to the hypo genetics, above is a pic of a true ORANGE PEPPER or CARAMEL not a hypo RPM/JAG.....

Yes it is a TRUE orange pepper jag. Can you show us a pic of your adult orange pepper?

caramellight.jpgcarameldark.jpg

Thanks LARKS

I dont have adult ORANGE PEPPER RPM/JAGS, what I do have is adult CARAMEL coastals that when bred with my RPM/JAGS produce ORANGE PEPPERS or CARAMEL RPM/JAGS.....The ORANGE PEPPERS or CARAMEL RPM/JAGS that you see in some of my posts are the holdbacks from my WHITE male when bred with my adult CARAMEL Coastals....

I have attached pics, sorry about the sizes again, I have just changed jobs and am now useing a different computer that doesnt have my resized pics on it.......Thanks for the info

75% reduced IJ x Jag
pics044.jpg

pics043.jpg

pics045.jpg

pics046.jpg

pics047.jpg

His future partner.. Schofield reduced IJ
SDC11592.jpg

SDC11585.jpg

regards
nigel

Possible co-dom trait in my bredli. The reduced pattern and partial dorsal striping is present in the mother and also the grandfather (who is owned by someone else) and gets passed on to about 25% of the offspring when mated to unrelated bredli lines. In a few years time I hope to mate this male holdback with the mother and to see what the outcome may be.

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

DSC01655.jpg

I get what your saying mate :) can't wait till i get my pair, it'll be interesting to see if it is genetic. :)

Spot on Gunny, it doesnt 100% mean anything until its proven out. But that still doesnt mean that these potentially aren't AXANTHICS.....

As Kenno said, we cant really claim any true AXANTHICS until someone does the hard work on their MD'S, COASTALS or any other carpets that show similar characteristics. In the mean time they are Black and White carpets, once/if proven successfully then they are AXANTHIC carpets......

I'm hoping this guy might prove out for me. He's a reduced IJ, and just keeps getting more silver/pewter with each shed. Whatever he is , it's gonna be fun finding out.
SDC11751.jpg

SDC10295.jpg

looks like there will be plenty more around this season as they all come out of the woodwork now.

seeing as they are co-dom and easy to breed (only needing 1 x animal to produce your own jags) and no doubt males will be bred with multiple females, how will this effect the price this year??

j

True Zobo , but most people want the bright yellow Rpms ,so most are putting them over small jungles...like with most things albinos ect the price will drop for the regular animals and as the jungle blood is increased and the pattern gets more reduced with the Rpms, the price will stay high for the higher quality animals.

When people saw the albino jags ,they then looked at the regular albinos differently...same will go for jags as soon as some of the really bright & reduced animals (face melters) are produced and other things people havent seen, they will look at the 'regular' jags we already have differently.

The price for the higher quality better looking, brighter more reduced animals that will come in later will still demand ridiculous prices....they are going to attract alot of people, so the amount of buyers will increase as well,i know quite a few people waiting for jags to get a little more interesting ,at the moment they are still pretty average compared to overseas animals...

well said fusion, summed up pretty damn well.

IMO pricing is going to depend on availability and quality. New cross's and higher % RPM/JAGS will hold for some years to come....

Great animals Kenneally.

IMO pricing is going to depend on availability and quality. New cross's and higher % RPM/JAGS will hold for some years to come....

agreed barra :D

As soon as the RPM's get into the hands off the masses their prices will drop like a proverbial lead weight thanks to the co-dominant mutation. The major issue is going to be selling mixed blood siblings which will be produced in their masses in the quest for the brighter coloured and more reduced patterned animals.

ps. do RPM's like jags also produce dead leucy's when bred together or are they two different beasts?

So all in all, neuro probs have and will present in Aussie RPM/JAGS, however more than likely it will only present in a very small minority. [/FONT]
My understanding from reading overseas discussions is that the RPM/jag trait is the product of a difference in neural crest cell migration. This would explain the variable neurological signs. Given the genetic variety in carpet pythons we have at our disposal, it may be possible to minimise neurological impairment by careful selection like you describe. Stress tends to bring out any problems (hence the snake showing more signs when moved) and I imagine poor control of incubation tempertures would also contribute. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Great animals Kenneally.

Quality jags from good blood lines will always sell for a premium price............ However i should imagine that the same thing that happened over here will happen there. People will buy jags of poor quality and not care that they are fugly, and then outcross them to poor examples of jungle's/coastal/ ij's;) etc,etc just to make more jags and more MONEY. Not caring that the end result is more fugly jags and fugly mutt sib's.
However if you get a good jag from great bloodlines and breed him to a trophy jungle/coastal etc, then the resulting offspring will be of a quality that will demand a higher price.

The thing is, that you will always get people that have no regards for the snakes, and only see dollar signs when they look at Jags. This results in the market being flooded with crap, due to the co-dom nature of Jags!!!

i personally think that jags are capable of setting their own price. if it's an acceptional looking animal , it will get top dollar.if it is a run of the mill jag ,it will get market price.males will probably always be worth more than females because it can mate with more animals.but i also think jags and albinos will hold their value around the $1000 mark because it is affordable to most dedicated herpers and they will be highly sort after for quite a while to come.the old supply and demand reason.
cheers
simon

How can Jags be legal? Also how is it legal to cross them with other native carpets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back