Show us your Coastals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few of my coastals..

Dan

Attachments

• DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 77
  • 24262.jpg
    24262.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 121
  • SNC00041.jpg
    SNC00041.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 26220.JPG
    26220.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 59
No the caramels do not have jag in them, they are a seperate CO-DOM mutation.

how do you know???? they are jags mate.....

lol, you need to do more research before you jump the gun. they are not jags! you can cross them wth jags to create a caramel jag, meaning the caramel jag will have 2 CO-DOM genes (one jag gene and one a caramel gene).

CARAMELS ARNT JAGS!

The Caramel Coastal Carpet Python is a form of hypomelanistic snake (i.e. reduced black). It is co-dominant with the het form showing some black reduction and the recessive very little black at all. We named this mutation "caramel" because many of the offspring develop a caramel hue to their background colouration. We produced a limited number of offspring this year.

thats just of the SXR site. besides that I would have no other knowledge on the matter. ( I think I reference SXR way to much on this site)

Attachments

• coastal............jpg
    coastal............jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 94
  • coastal.............jpg
    coastal.............jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The first pic i saw posted of a so called caramel a few years back was of a hypo coastal cross jag.

If they are pure coastal,(which i dought very much from seeing that pic), then they are just hypos, most forms of hypo have a percentage of caramel offspring.
Being co-dom thou id bet that they are from jag to hypo coastal mating as they appeared the same time jags appeared for sale from the same collection.

Being co-dom thou id bet that they are from jag to hypo coastal mating as they appeared the same time jags appeared for sale from the same collection.

i don't understand how a caramel looks like a jag? or even a hypo for that matter? yes they lack some black pigment but there is a clear difference between a hypo and a caramel!

yes they appeared at the same time in AUSTRALIA, but most certainly were created at different times from there point of creation. so it's likely the person who went out on a limb here in Australia got jags and caramels from the same supplier overseas.

and by your wording it sounds like you believe there can only be 1 type of co-Dom mutation? if that is what you believe then you must think granite and albino is the same as they are both recessive.
if you look at all the different types of mutation in reptiles there is a lot of different types of co-Dom and recessive genes out there...

here is a caramel carpet from one of the leading carpet breeders in Europe... as you can see it looks nothing like a jag!
caramelcarpet.jpg

Last edited:
Ben, No i donot think that their can only be 1 type of co- dom mutation at all. Reptiles of many speices show all sorts genetic mutations when it comes to colour and pattern most are inheritable in one way or another some arnt.
Ive seen a few hypo coastals that look very simular to caramels in colour and pattern. The caramel carpets i refer to and have seen have alot less pattern than the animal you posted. I was led to belive that they were some of the siblings from jag to hypo matings. So still from a jag but with out the nuero deffective gene but having the hypo gene. By the time jags were in OZ they had been crossed with every type of carpet imaginable so who knows what is in them.
I maybe wrong but who really knows what they are here in oz, the jags were first described as a line of coastal they had been working on and not jags.????

Coastal carpets simular looking in colour and pattern to pic you posted arnt that uncommon in the wild.

Last edited:
alrightknight,- hypos, 100% coastal.

Correct me if im wrong but caramels have jag in them i belive, and i wouldnt touch a jag with a 50 foot pole, they are the scurge/scum of the hobby and always will be, they are absolute rubbish.

Hey Rob, nah, the caramels being referred to in this thread are not Jag related at all. They are another of the many hypo variants available in the hobby today. The "Caramel" appears to be a co-dom mutation, in fact, I'll show you myself later this year! :) There are Jag x Caramels snakes getting around, a result of a Jag over a Caramel Coastal. These are often referred to as "Orange Peppers".

Cheers Aron, They are probaly the ones im talking about, all these silly names gets a bit much.

Cheers Aron, They are probaly the ones im talking about, all these silly names gets a bit much.

lol, yes it can be quite confusing if you don't follow the different morphs closely, image how good of a memory all these ball python breeds need for all those morphs :).

By the way, your HYPO's are CRAZY!

Ben, - Thanks mate, some of them are pretty weird.
Im a full time Dad to a two year old so ive been out of touch with everythng the last couple of years.
So what are these so called caramerls suppoed to be?, comming from overseas the could have anything in them ie IJ, coastal etc. Not to mention where they came from here in OZ, once again they could have anything in them and the truth not be told.?

Arron, yeah its weird how they pretty much all get blue around the eyes, nostrils and mouth, and some of them on their body.

spotlight,- thats a bizzare little critter. nice!.

Last edited:
Ben, - Thanks mate, some of them are pretty weird.
Im a full time Dad to a two year old so ive been out of touch with everythng the last couple of years.
So what are these so called caramerls suppoed to be?, comming from overseas the could have anything in them ie IJ, coastal etc. Not to mention where they came from here in OZ, once again they could have anything in them and the truth not be told.?

i myself have doubts that they are pure animals, thats why i refer to them as caramel carpets instead of coastal caramel carpets... I just know that they (caramel carpets) have nothing to do with the jag gene & that they are a seperate Co-Dom gene all together.

Nice looking hypo true blue that was a good pic varanusImage020.jpg

Attachments

• Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back