Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the ciliaris like as captives? I like gex but I'm so busy these days I 'm not really interested in keeping anything I never see (pretty much all Nephrurus). Are these guys just as secretive as the knob tails?

You may get lucky on the heavier black that you like (fingers crossed)... that's daddy in the second pic I put up.

That's good to know, Can't wait to pick them up ;)

Thanks for your help, Be warned people pics to follow hehe.

What are the ciliaris like as captives? I like gex but I'm so busy these days I 'm not really interested in keeping anything I never see (pretty much all Nephrurus). Are these guys just as secretive as the knob tails?

They're not shy at all, at least the golden tails aren't (and I'd assume the ciliaris are the same). They will happily sit in plain view under lights all day like a display. Plus they turn into absolute demons when you throw food in there. Mine dive down from branches like missiles straight on top on crickets...

Sounds good, I'll have to pick some up this season. Like I said there are plenty of thinks I like about geckos and these guys sound a lot more interesting to watch than most knobtails.

They're not shy at all, at least the golden tails aren't (and I'd assume the ciliaris are the same). They will happily sit in plain view under lights all day like a display. Plus they turn into absolute demons when you throw food in there. Mine dive down from branches like missiles straight on top on crickets...

These fella's sit out in the open all day on a branch eg: pic

I feed these by tweezers and they took the woodies first go, shot out the leaves, slammed the bug and crunched it down in front of me,...I only did this as I didn't want an escapee,...mine are in the lounge and i walk past the tank all day they still sit there. At night under a black light they drop out and feed on the ground funny little hunters but always on target. Spray them twice a day gets the humidity up helps shedding. Plus they drink off the glass walls. Basking spot around 34c with branches twigs vine so they can regulate. Compact UV 5 8hours a day. Get to a healthy sized gecko. 90mmm svl

As R-I said, they (my S.ciliaris) sit in plain view all day and night.

They're definitely nothing like the Neph. species.

Great thanks guys, looks like I've been missing out by not keeping them.

S. elderi are around but they are quite difficult to breed, they behave more like nephs than strophs from what i've been told by the person that has them. They are quite a small gex and quite spectacular in the flesh.
They behave very differently to knob tails. They are active during the day and don't burrow. Behaviour wise , they seem to be a cross between diplo's and stroph's. They are eager breeders once they are happy with there enclosure setup.

I thought Id post some new pics, sorry about the bad quality, I only have a very cheap camera.

2.jpg

3.jpg

3-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

100_3432.jpg

Last edited:
Loven that slightly heavier black on the Golden. Great pics Jedi thanks for posting, Get my pair this weekend, woot :)

Great pics Jedi... that Jeans striped is just phenomenal, one animal that you don't see too often popping up in pics.

Wow jedi, that jeans stripe is incredible.

Thanks guys,

I'm with you on the darker Golden tailed Smithers, I reckon they look phenomenal and the contrast between the gold is fantastic.

I've got a few more pics of the various Jeans striped floating around, just a matter of sorting through my hard drive and finding them.

how much are spiny tails worth?

Hey there, if you go to the search function (top right of screen) and type in Spiny-tail and look in the ones that have for sale next to them you'll find out the latest prices ;)

awsome gecks every one :) :) :)
the thing I like most about these gecks is their eyes :)

is jeans striped in captivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back