Silence of the Cats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catskin coat anyone, catskin slippers ? Miserable cold fur it is.

A purpose for the skin and a message too.

Look for a fluffy person, shivering in winter. ;)

Cold fur? I actually didn't know that... I suppose that's why the person is so keen to harvest it; you wouldn't want to wear warm fur up in the top end! Maybe the police should look for the most stylish and comfortable resident of Palmerston, especially if they run a Chinese take-away food joint :) Then again, perhaps the furs are being used to make those cute little kitty ornaments you can buy at markets, which caused such a stir a few years ago, until people started pretending that the fur was actually from rabbits, then apparently actually converting to rabbit fur (rabbits are apparently lesser beings which may be murdered without guilt).

Can someone please write me a list of the animals which are, and which are not okay to kill and eat? I take it that pigs, sheep, chickens, goats, most aquatic creatures are on the "killable, lesser beings which may be dealt with as you please" list, while cats, dogs, horses, parrots and monkeys are on the "don't kill or you'll go to Hell and be tortured for all eternity" list. If I come across an animal which is on neither list, how do I know to which list I must assign it? Must the first person to see that species flip a coin or do they get to decide? Is there some kind of skeletal characteristic to look for? Perhaps it's okay for any animal to be killed and eaten, as long as until the meat is processed and unrecognisable, it is being dealt with by someone you'll never meet... although that can't be the case, because everyone is upset about the enigmatic cat killer. People have pet bunny rabbits, so it seems unlikely that the dichotomy depends upon whether or not the animal is "loved" by some people. Are animals such as kangaroos controversial because of some sort of taxonomical disagreement? Perhaps we need to include "freely murderable" or "you deserve to be murdered if you even imagine harm coming to this species" on all new species descriptions, with all old ones being ammended ASAP. What is it which makes dogs and dolphins "unkillable", while pigs are so yummy that they need to have several new names to reflect how much people love to eat them? Pork, ham, bacon... I'm getting hungry, and as long as I don't think about cats or monkeys, I'm allowed to...

As with Magpie, if I was irresponsible enough to let one of my snakes escape, and some random passer by stumbled across it in the street at night and killed it, I'd blame myself. Unrestrained and unsupervised captive animals have no place in public areas. It's up to pet owners to take responsibility for their animals, not just leave them outside to fend for themselves and cause damage. If I left my wallet out on the street at night I wouldn't expect it to be there in the morning either.

Why are all the people who are so horrified at these cats being killed not screaming, shouting and crying about the horror being dealt out by cats every day? If I had a pig which I planned to eat, it got loose then someone caught and ate it, would everyone think that person was a psychopath?

Sorry for getting off topic, but I find people interesting in this way and have never been able to understand these rules. We don't need another cat-hater thread anyway, if you're worried about things getting off topic, seach for "cat" in the archives and you'll find no shortage of dead flogged horses (oh no! Horses are 'protected'! :shock: ).

omg, that is a bit extreme, cats arent my favorite animal in the world by any means but there is better ways of getting the message across

palmerston chinese take away???. sweet and sour cat.
cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, got tired of the cats bad argument, so skipped a lot of posts. sure, cats kill, and many are not 'humane' about it. i like cats, i believe they should be kept inside too, but has anyone looked at the side of the road recently? cars kill far more animals, native or imported, than cats do. anyone for banning cars? the person killing these cats is obviously a nut case, and is probably enjoying all the attention.
sorry for the rant.
Aslan, you don't like cats, yet your avatar and name are of a lion? please explain? :)

hmm, got tired of the cats bad argument, so skipped a lot of posts. sure, cats kill, and many are not 'humane' about it. i like cats, i believe they should be kept inside too, but has anyone looked at the side of the road recently? cars kill far more animals, native or imported, than cats do. anyone for banning cars? the person killing these cats is obviously a nut case, and is probably enjoying all the attention.
sorry for the rant.
Aslan, you don't like cats, yet your avatar and name are of a lion? please explain? :)

Cars kill more animals than cats... so... cats are good! My goodness! You're right!

Cancer kills more people than car crashes... so car crashes aren't dangerous either! Wow! I'm feeling so much better!

Being alive is what brings death to everything... so... life is the only bad thing...

QUICK! Nuke the planet!

...the fact that something may be worse than something else doesn't make the something else harmless. You can't go to court on the charge of murder and say "But Saddam Hussein killed many more people than I did! Leave me alone!". Incidentally, cats likely kill more animals in Australia than cars anyway, and cats certainly kill more animals than cat-killers, so leave the poor innocent cat-killer alone!

whoa there nelly! i was not saying that cats are 'good', re-read my post. i DO believe that a cat owner should be responsible and keep the cat indoors, and not just at night, but during the day as well. As to leaving the cat killer alone, you do realise that this person is killing animals? and probably not in a humane manner. cats, dogs, snakes rats, mice - it does not matter, you would not feed your reptile a live mouse, so why defend this person?

lol mrspike, glad to see someone has a sense of the ridiculous!

Now where's that sarcasm emotion? Sorry, I thought it sufficiently easy to differentiate between the serious and sarcastic elements of my post. My mistake.

whoa there nelly! i was not saying that cats are 'good', re-read my post. i DO believe that a cat owner should be responsible and keep the cat indoors, and not just at night, but during the day as well. As to leaving the cat killer alone, you do realise that this person is killing animals? and probably not in a humane manner. cats, dogs, snakes rats, mice - it does not matter, you would not feed your reptile a live mouse, so why defend this person?

yeah, i think you may have taken the sarcarsm a little far, i am blonde afterall :) anyway....

Well, like Fuscus' teeshirt that he had on Cafe Press website it says "If it's out of its' own backyard, it's a Feral in Peril". My hubby Dave wears his tshirt quite often I can tell you. Cheers Cheryl

sorry for the rant.

How is cars killing native animals relevant to the conversation in any, way, shape or form? Cats arent necessary, they dont perform any specific service and arent needed in day to day life. Cats are only an issue because of selfish irresponsible people. You seem to be saying that by cars killing wildlife, thats justifies the millions of animals taken out by cats?

Jordan

Damn Sdaji, slipped that one in while i was typing...haha.

Jordan

"Cars kill more wildlife than cats" A very common and irrelevant argument, these are both human caused problems and by keeping cats indoors....or better still exterminating the exotic pest we are moving a step closer to retribution. The existence of one evil is not justification for another to go unchecked.

Cars kill more animals than cats... so... cats are good! My goodness! You're right!

Cancer kills more people than car crashes... so car crashes aren't dangerous either! Wow! I'm feeling so much better!

Being alive is what brings death to everything... so... life is the only bad thing...

QUICK! Nuke the planet!

...the fact that something may be worse than something else doesn't make the something else harmless. You can't go to court on the charge of murder and say "But Saddam Hussein killed many more people than I did! Leave me alone!". Incidentally, cats likely kill more animals in Australia than cars anyway, and cats certainly kill more animals than cat-killers, so leave the poor innocent cat-killer alone!

HAHAHA! Very clever Sdaji. I love the Lets Follow This Through To It's Conclusion game!

Here's another one... "what I do in the privacy of my own home is noone else's business because it is done in the privacy of my own home".

So, I can live-feed in the privacy of my own home?... Yes.
And I can beat up my cat in the privacy of my own home?.... well, yes.
And I can beat up my wife/husband in the privacy of my own home?... um....

It's kind of about cats, and also about the progression of logic! So you can't exactly say I've gone off-topic now, can you! ;)

Before another nasty argument breaks out (they usually do when cats are involved), I should point out that Sdaji's argument that it is possibly somebody who is perfectly sane and just kills cats humanely, skins them to use their fur, and perhaps eats some of the meat, is a perfectly valid possibility.

He has an opinion, it differs from a lot of other people's idea of what is happening, but that doesn't make him wrong. Nor does it make him right. And he is certainly entitled to his opinion, as everyone is.

Having said that, I don't think that is what is happening up there.

The police believe that cats are being taken to a house to be skinned and gutted. The bodies are then taken to some place where they are "displayed". To me, this suggests either someone who:
a) deliberately wants to cause mental anguish to the owners and shock the community, or
b) is involved in cult worship or satanism or similar, or
c) is mentally disturbed.

And there may be other possibilities too.

The last case reported the cat was skinned and gutted and the body displayed on the local golf course where the young girl found it - how did she know it was her cat if the skin was not present? Most skinned cats look pretty much identical. If the skin was beside the carcass, well, he's not using the skin for anything then.

As Sdaji rightly pointed out, there is no evidence to suggest that the cats are being tortured or killed inhumanely. However, there is also no evidence to suggest otherwise.

I do agree that information is scant and journalists are famous for getting information wrong, so at this stage we're all just speculating until the authorities learn more.

They'll probably find it's some drunk, lonely, fat kid with red hair and no life.

:p

Hix

, you would not feed your reptile a live mouse, ?
:oops: :shock: ummmmmm only newborns, and only in an emergency pmsl.
Cruelty is tested on animals, child abuse is tested on animals, all know cerial killers and psychopaths have started on neighbourhood pets. don't believe me, google worlds worst cerial killers, and see if i'm wrong.
this is nothing new tho, my mothers first husbands father-in-law :)P)used to catch the neighbourhood cats and hang them on a hook on the door of his study :O and every one knew, (mind you thats 50 years ago now)
there will always be people who do things that make us incensed, it's how the rest of us strive to evolve past the brutal apes we evolved from.

Good point, never really considered it :?

I have to admit I find Lions to be very impressive but can't stand domestic cats...come to think of it most large cats I find very interesting...something for me to ponder I guess... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back