Singlebacks Outside

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicco

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I really need to know if there is any possible way of housing shingleback lizards outdoors without respitory problems, I live in Ipswich, south-west of Brisbane and can't house them indoors. Is there any way to reduce or minimise humidity(even though I'm pretty sure it's impossible)?

i really have no idea but maybe some sort of fan system that can suck the humity out, if this is even possible?

Humidity here is usually aboout 50% to 75% in Summer but gets alot higher after rain, although I could most likely take them in during heavy rain.

would be a bit hard to take them in everytime it rains, espically if your at work or something, there must be someone up north that has overcome this problem. Maybe ring around a bit, zoo might help?

Thanks for the advice soulweaver, I think there's one or two at Australia Zoo, there in a large outdoor pit but I can't remember if there centralians or shinglebacks.

I have seen them done in brissie in a big round tub about 2 metres in diameter. The substrate was basically a fine soil with logs for hides. It was positioned under a patio so if it rained, they would remain dry. To overcome the humidity prob... perhaps you could wire up some reflector bulbs over the enclosure. Base it on an indoor enclosure design and use them only to dry the air... just a thought

yeah but you actually have to cool the air past the dew point to remove the humidity. So it would need to be an enclosed structure with an air conditioner to remove humidity the a reheat coil or something to get it back up to temperature. Would be expensive to run methinks!

Dicco - the Shingles at Australia Zoo are in a pit 4x3 approx, on red desert sand. They only come out for a few hours a day, and that's if the humidity is low.

As long as the substrate allows for excellent drainage they can be kept outdoors year round in brisbane! They will breed every year and show no skin or respiratory probs. I have heard of feral populations that are reproducing in Bris. The key is that they are able to thermoregulate to their own specific temperatures.

I strongly doubt that you could successfully keep shingles outdoors in brissy, i've kept shingles for many years and while i live in their natural range extended periods of high(ish) humidity has brought down older lizards with respitory problems.
It's not worth the risk problems can occur very quickly, any long time shingleback keeper will tell you the same thing.
I know people on the coast who had problems keeping them indoors.

Any reptile has to thermoregulate their body temp, they are cold blooded.
As for wild shingles in Brissy i would say someone is pullin your leg, not gonna happen.

NoOne you and your friends obviously haven't kept them for long enough or appropriately if thats the case...........i tell no lies!

LOL obviously.
Na only been keeping and breeding them for 12yrs, as well as maping color variations in my area.

I'd have to see it to belive it, how long have you been keeping them outdoors in Brissy?

Hi Dicco,I've kept an elderly pair of shinglebacks in our zoo for 5 years now in Kuranda.I was told it couldn't be done.Kuranda gets 2 metres of rainfall a year and average days of 75% humidity all year except winter.
These animals came from Currumbin Sanctuary,SO KEEPING THEM IN BRISSY IS POSSIBLE.Try and source them from somewhere similar to you.Don't let them get to wet for to long and bring them inside during long extended periods of rain.To deal with humidity inside you can purchase a small humidfier or there are products at your supermarket that reduce humidity in an enclosure,just keep this stuff out of reach to the animal.
If they can be kept in a pitt in the middle of kuranda on the coast in nth qld Brisbane would be paradise to them.

OBEE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back