skin torn off

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to hear, Alex. As mentioned, just keep a sharp eye out for infection. Did the vet want you to go back in a week or so for a check up?
Mate, don't take everyone jumping on your case earlier to heart... it's good to know there's so many people who really want the best for EVERY snake out there, hey ;)
Anyway, keep us updated on snakey's progress.
Nic

Great to hear, Alex. As mentioned, just keep a sharp eye out for infection. Did the vet want you to go back in a week or so for a check up?
Mate, don't take everyone jumping on your case earlier to heart... it's good to know there's so many people who really want the best for EVERY snake out there, hey ;)
Anyway, keep us updated on snakey's progress.
Nic

no he didnt say anything about going back. it was a tad difficult for him to sitch her up in the first place as hes terrified of them, so he made me hold the head and just past the wound and he gave her some local, and the assistant held the rest of her, the stimson repaid her by doing a crap all over her. . we bout her a new click clack just to be sure, out some clean newspaper in and a water bowl ald a little bit of heat cord under it with a thermostat just to be sure. dos anyone have a rough estimate as to how long it will take her to heal, she was in good condition and had abit of weight on her as i was conditioning her for breeding, which looks like its on hold till next year now

Betadine liquid is the best unless you can get chlorhex. I've had snakes heal from much worse than that just by applying betadine every few days and keeping them clean.

I don't think it's as bad as it may look....there's no apparent bleeding, just a small amount of hemorrhaging, which shows the wound is not too deep. It should heal fine with the right care!
As no pics of the enclosure were shown (WHY), it looks as though this little guy may have stuck his head in some place to escape and has been pulled out while trying to resist, which may have caused the injury... My suspicion only, by looking at the wound and no need to be secretive about it, as we all were young and had snakes once...lol Only you know champ! ;)
He should be fine as long as the wound is kept clean, but don't over treat as this will keep the wound moist, which sometimes can be a mistake and inhibit h the healing process.
Good Luck.... :)

i would say she tried to get out a small gap and got stuck and pulled back to release herself.
is there any small gaps between lid corners etc?

i would say she tried to get out a small gap and got stuck and pulled back to release herself.
is there any small gaps between lid corners etc?
From my experience, I could be wrong though... a "reptile"l won't pull back that hard that it rips it's skin away from the flesh! :shock: Would you???

From my experience, I could be wrong though... a "reptile"l won't pull back that hard that it rips it's skin away from the flesh! :shock: Would you???

no i wouldnt. but i really dont know how she did it, i dont pull them if there around something i learnt my lesson on that the snake turned around and bit me

no i wouldnt. but i really dont know how she did it, i dont pull them if there around something i learnt my lesson on that the snake turned around and bit me

you would be surprised what reptile do to free themselves.
some off the herp catchers/rescuers on here might be able to give a better idea than me

Chlorhexidine solution (usually 1:100 chlorhex/water) is probably the best for disinfecting wounds - it is just as effective as betadine, but causes less pain and inflammation. Betadine can be quite harsh on large wounds.
Speak to a local chemist about Chlorhexidine concentrate - you don't need a prescription. As mentioned before, Silvazene is excellent for disinfecting wounds as well. The vet who treated your snake should be able to fax a prescription to a local pharmacy for you so you have it on hand.

Jamie

should be treated with antibiotics for at least a week and with antiseptics such as iodine or lotagen but u need a vet! id say they'd try too glue to close wound. u dont want it to rip more so don't handle..... and keep cage and wound area clean and make sure there is nothing else she can rip or make wound worse.... guess u can tell buy behaviour by how bad it is but the longer u leave it the more likely it is going to get infected.

should be treated with antibiotics for at least a week and with antiseptics such as iodine or lotagen but u need a vet! id say they'd try too glue to close wound. u dont want it to rip more so don't handle..... and keep cage and wound area clean and make sure there is nothing else she can rip or make wound worse.... guess u can tell buy behaviour by how bad it is but the longer u leave it the more likely it is going to get infected.

as i posted yesterday it has been stitched up.

This precisely why I made DAMNED sure my enclosure had NO sharp edges in any part of it whatsoever.

However, the irony is that my male woma has a couple of very minor areas near his nostrils where he tried to push his snout through 8mm ventilation holes which I later had replaced with a new ventilation screen panel with 3mm vent holes which means he won't do it again.

Oh, and my little female, looks as though she had a bad shed, it's only a couple of patches on her belly, but they look dry and slightly shriveled/curled at the edges of the scales, almost an appearance like a burn, probably caused by adhesion due to overheating and insufficient moisture to assist with the shed, a tiny bit of blood on the retained shed indicates that the skin probably got chapped and cracked where it dried out on the edges. Should clear up in a few sheds and she'll be right as rain. But, what the #$%&? I did EVERYTHING I could have POSSIBLY done to avoid all this from happening. So why am I feeling the pain now?

So, it doesn't matter really what you do, I've resigned myself to the fact that in spite of all my toilings to make sure the snakes would remain unhurt and flawless, it's sort of bitten me on the **** with not much recourse other than to wait and see if it clears up.

Best option is a rack system. I promise I will NEVER buy another enclosure. I will build my own rack system with melamine and tubs. No more front doors, no more silly fancy rubbish like "nice looking" enclosures ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back