Small-Eyed Snake Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Denomous

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I picked one up thinking it was my escaped Spotted Python.
Ok, ok, don't laugh, it was night-time, all I saw was shiny movement, because he was in the shadow of my porch light.

My dog had his head at it, sniffing, so I just lurched forward and picked it up (almost got bitten and it's my understanding that these guys have a sort of myotoxin or a variation thereof).

Anyway, I'm wondering where I should relocate this little guy.

I have him in a click-clack container for the night because at the moment I have no car until the morning.

Should I release him near a creek with stumps and lizards?
And if so, how close to the creek, 10m, 30m?
In a stump, amongst rocks?

Thanks

What's wrong with releasing it where you found it, and keeping the dog inside until it's gone? Or releasing it over your fence, away from the dog?

As close as practical to where you picked it up.

Yep.

The implications of releasing an animal somewhere other than exactly where it was found has been gone over many times before if you want to do a quick search so you can know why it should be released where you found it.

Well because quite simply, my dogs aren't the only ones that wander into my yard, theres horses over the back fence, and there's a large amount of cats roaming the area.

I'm sure there'll be cats where you intend to release it as well. It's a wild animal, and you can't take it out of the wild, or put it in another place because you think it's going to get eaten. If it gets eaten, it means it wouldn't have survived anyway. If it gets stood on by horses, then it gets stood on by horses. You can't do anything about it.

Well because quite simply, my dogs aren't the only ones that wander into my yard, theres horses over the back fence, and there's a large amount of cats roaming the area.

Oh, and the creek is about 15 mins drive away... my neighbourhood is full of roaming dogs and cats, there's no water source, and i think that's why he came to my porch - the dogs water bowl.

There's a huge boxer cross that always comes in my yard, there's at least 5 cats within a radius of one house away, the cats are always hunting in my yard because of the abundance of mice.

There is a horse that tries to stop anything that moves (because she has a foal) over the back fence and there are two little dogs that get into my yard from next door.

My dogs are large, and will not stand to be confined... I am only 19 so I don't have a big living area, besides, I have my own loose snake to worry about, and these are the reasons why I'm so desperate to find him. Also, don't these snakes eat other snakes as well?

If I have to release him in this area I will not stop worrying about him.

I'm sure there'll be cats where you intend to release it as well. It's a wild animal, and you can't take it out of the wild, or put it in another place because you think it's going to get eaten. If it gets eaten, it means it wouldn't have survived anyway. If it gets stood on by horses, then it gets stood on by horses. You can't do anything about it.

I've been to this place many times to take photos, the only animals i've seen are:
Bearded Dragons,
Eagles,
Geese, Brolgas,
Turtles
Lots of little lizards.
and a Dingo

Good luck finding your snake, im sure he will turn up soon.

I know you're trying to mean well, I'm not denying that. However, he got into your area, so he'll get himself out. Or, what if he lives in that area? You'll just take him out of his home, into the somewhere that has just as many predators and dangers as the one he's currently in, except this time he won't be familiar with them.

As for your spotted, he's probably still inside the house. However, I can understand what you're feeling (I've also lost and found snakes), but if it's outside, then it's outside, and I doubt a small-eyed snake would get a spotted before dogs, cats or birds would.

*sigh*

I guess I'll take a walk and try to find the most secluded place in my neighborhood then release him there and just hope for the best...

You've asked for advice, and we've given our advice. It's not our fault if we give you advice that's contradictory to what you originally planned to do. We said it was best to release it in the same place you found, or close to.

I know you're trying to mean well, I'm not denying that. However, he got into your area, so he'll get himself out. Or, what if he lives in that area? You'll just take him out of his home, into the somewhere that has just as many predators and dangers as the one he's currently in, except this time he won't be familiar with them.

As for your spotted, he's probably still inside the house. However, I can understand what you're feeling (I've also lost and found snakes), but if it's outside, then it's outside, and I doubt a small-eyed snake would get a spotted before dogs, cats or birds would.

Thanks for the info.
I just have a hunch he's outside just because I've tried all the snake luring and trapping techniques to find him, but no avail. It's been two weeks and there's no poop, no little hungry snake; not going to the mice i set out for him (thawed of course) and not going to the heat source I set out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back