Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Garden skinks would be fine to keep.
Only problem is, I dont think there are many (if any) people that keep and breed them in captivity.

You could get a bit setup filled with sandswimmers, theyre cool little skinks.

I'd strongly recommend Eastern water skinks, as they do well in a 1m/4f colony and will use all of the space provided. Tree skinks would come in at a close second, as they are quite active and will make use of height too. White's can be difficult to source as there aren't many on NSW Licences, though they can be kept off licence in VIC and SA. Hosmers and Gidgees are a little more expensive and bigger in body size, but equally enjoyable to keep in colonies.

I come from Vic originally and will be heading there for Xmas so I don't mind arranging a permit and buying down there, well be traveling by car and usually do the trip in a single day so its always bee an easy ride for the various critters we've transported in the past

What's the husbandry with the Whites Skink? They look awesome!

Thanks mate.

I keep mine in a 900mm x 600mm exo terra, basking spot is set at 30-35c on a few pieces of rock, UV fluorescent tube, a few branches and hides and about three times a week they get feed cockroaches or crickets dusted in calcium powder. I also give them chopped vegetable, fruit and a very small amount of dog food or minced meat every 10-14 days or so.

They are a very hardy spices of small skink, another option of a great spices is Tree Skinks, both a joy to keep.

Cheers

Last edited:
Tassie it is not uncommon for mainland Liopholis whitii to have stripes. I should let you know that since you said Water Skink was too big, White's skinks are much bigger than a water skink, those ones in the first picture look very young an miniscule compared to the hundreds of wild adult individuals I have seen. I'm sure they are cool to keep, but if you don't want water skink size, than a White's skink is even bigger.

Thanks, yeah ot really what I want then.

Pity you can't get a permit to take from the wild here, we are in a new housing estate and the number of displaced garden skin,s around here a the moment is quite sad, I'd gladly give them a lovely ome if I could do it legally.

has ne one suggested broad banded sand swimmers

That's very much my upper. Limit but not too bad, I'll check them out. Can't imagine they'd be overly suited to a forest type tank though?

That's very much my upper. Limit but not too bad, I'll check them out. Can't imagine they'd be overly suited to a forest type tank though?

No they are definitely more a desert style skink, but other than that would be great for what you are looking for. You could fit a nice little colony in a 6 foot tank and they are great to watch.

no they wouldnt but a desert tank wouldnt be hard to renovate :) well worth it hehe

Eastern Water Skinks have been mentioned a few times for the pond and water fall set up. I love the river side set up but they are bigger than you are after and I would not call them good colony animals. I believe other people have managed to raise a large group of babies together and most have still been fine together as adults. It was my hope years ago to get three or four into a six foot if they all liked each other. I still only have pairs together and extra males living in their own smaller tanks. Even the females can be extremely vicious to other females. I also had offspring grow up with the parents but when they mature the parents have turned on them.

Yeah i think they would possibly be ok n a large pit as a colony but i suspect a sixfoot would be too close quarters for them really. When i say waterfall i wasmore thinking along the lines of trickling brook, running the water across part of the enclosure to have a shallower angle on the flow of water, i did much the same thing when i was a teenager to create a tank for frogs and it worked really well, would love to do something like that again.

There is a section in the book Keeping & Breeding Australian Lizards about Garden Skinks and John Deutscher's (Sdaji on this site?) experiences with keeping and breeding them for quite a few years. Don't know for sure if I have the right person or if he still keeps them. I think they would be great in the set up you are describing. I have seen other people wanting them in the past on this site but never seen anyone say they had found any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back