Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well Peter and Sadji,thanks for the info will be seeking a epi-pen after reading that .I think the docs theory was that me suffering asthma ,might give me the wrong sign if having a reaction or just a plain attack if you know what i am trying to say BUT either way I still cant breathe ,so all pre-cautions shall be taken .....and yeah sadji most of my call outs are from 55kms to 10kms away from the hospital.......so bit scary .......we do get care flight choppers when needed in my local town as the nearest hospital being Gympie is at least 55kms away.,,,but if in Gympie at a call out, well a ambo would come........

I've been trying to get an Epipen, but for some reason they just wont hand them out. I even went to my doctor and asked for one, he told me that since I don't have any record of severe allergic reaction that I'm unable to get one. I think this is rubbish because sometimes I can be 2 or 3 hours away from the nearest hospital when I work.

Does anyone know what is the best way of obtaining a epipen. Also how do you go about finding out if your allergic to snake bite?

I enquired you can get them without an Rx and costs around $105. If you have a health care card and an Rx you are looking at around $5.

For an anaphylatic reaction you need prior sentisation so if you haven't been bitten before you should be safe for the time being. (From an allergic reaction that is not from the venom itself.)

I've been trying to get an Epipen, but for some reason they just wont hand them out. I even went to my doctor and asked for one, he told me that since I don't have any record of severe allergic reaction that I'm unable to get one. I think this is rubbish because sometimes I can be 2 or 3 hours away from the nearest hospital when I work.

Does anyone know what is the best way of obtaining a epipen. Also how do you go about finding out if your allergic to snake bite?
You could be allergic to a lot of things you haven't experienced yet, doesn't mean they'll give you a epipen for the hell of it. These things are $130 each and only last about 8 months

What exactly was wrong about what i posted? I havent bagged too many wild tigers and had them bite due to feeding response :lol: Settle down, merely pointing out that i have had experience with tigers biting through bags. Like i said, im dealing with wild animals that are being relocated, strangely enough they arent generally in the mood for a quick lunch after being caught and bagged up :? And yes it was your mistake, not doubting it, maybe you should be more careful in future :lol:

Jordan

Jordan, i sincerely apologise for the way my text came across. I'm still getting use to computer language.I've only just realised i was yelling when i wrote: WRONG! :eek: I assume that is what upset you?
It was not intended & im openly apologising. I was merely highlighting the way i was bitten, by a captive not wild tiger as your reply was about.
For your info i have kept/caught plentiful #'s of Tigers & other Vens for the past 29 years; ( I notice your age), & this was my first bite from any Vens. I'm not sure how to take your "finish" off comment :
maybe you should be more careful in future :lol:
I hope it was in good spirits??

Last edited:
I enquired you can get them without an Rx and costs around $105. If you have a health care card and an Rx you are looking at around $5.

For an anaphylatic reaction you need prior sentisation so if you haven't been bitten before you should be safe for the time being. (From an allergic reaction that is not from the venom itself.)

There are other ways of being exposed to snake venom other than being bitten. It is quite possible for dry venom to become airborne and inhaled (obviously non-lethal ammounts). Do the horses that are used for anti-venom production ever have allergic reactions to the venom?

I am able to get a pen as being allergic to bee stings is good enough for the docs to prescribe me one....will def get one ,hope its never put to use and as far as lasting 8 hours would certainly be in a hospital before that :)........

Just on epi pens..they don't give you 8 hours of protection.....It is suggested that use of anti histimines first and then if required use an epi pen.....however they need to be prescribed by doctor for good reason. I only got mine after going into mild anaphylactic shock (trouble breathing, swelling of lips and throat, rashes, itchyness, ears and sinus blocking, eyes running etc) after a bite from a "medically insignificant " species in the field.

Adrenaline makes the heart beat faster, in snake bite first aid you want to remain still, calm and relaxed...this is to slow the spread of the venom by slowing down the rate of the body.....by the administration of an epipen you are counter acting these effects and causing the venom move faster through your body.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Waruikazi, I admit I get a big RUSH when catching but not in a meathead thrill seeker way was what I meant when I made that comment,I think you need that rush its what keeps you on your toes ,especially when catching Eastern Browns ,they usually keep my ring tight and a knot in my gut but for all good reason..I did get a bit laid back when catching a rbbs it was behind a hotwater system ,I had hooked her and was pulling her back towards me, managed to tail her then seeming relaxed as she was I turned my head to see where my bag was and WHAM she flew up at me missed my hand by about 10cm,I had new coloured undies on after that!! and the look on my face was a dead give away.the dear old biddy that called me said "Are you ok dear,I would love to help but I am nearly 80" so I have learnt never be laid back in any situation not even when it comes to the quiet rbbs...:)

The question I have to ask is: Don't we as the general public have a right to privacy....why should the ambo's be allowed to give out details of the purpose of the ride......and in some cases the address of the victim?

Quoted for emphasis.

I am able to get a pen as being allergic to bee stings is good enough for the docs to prescribe me one....will def get one ,hope its never put to use and as far as lasting 8 hours would certainly be in a hospital before that :)........

If you do get a pen check the dates on it as a lot of them in the pharmacys are very low on shelf life[Close to expiry]. We carry them as well as vials of adrenalin in our first aid kits
for work. They need to be kept cool as well.

thanks beeman , how long is a normal shelf life for a pen?

When we redo our kits we get them to order in new ones, and as long as they are kept cool
you should get 12 months.
We have found if we dont get them to order in new one the ones on the shelf may only have 1 or 2 months on them and its not a drug to mess with in regards to shelf life

Waruikazi, I admit I get a big RUSH when catching but not in a meathead thrill seeker way was what I meant when I made that comment,I think you need that rush its what keeps you on your toes ,especially when catching Eastern Browns ,they usually keep my ring tight and a knot in my gut but for all good reason..I did get a bit laid back when catching a rbbs it was behind a hotwater system ,I had hooked her and was pulling her back towards me, managed to tail her then seeming relaxed as she was I turned my head to see where my bag was and WHAM she flew up at me missed my hand by about 10cm,I had new coloured undies on after that!! and the look on my face was a dead give away.the dear old biddy that called me said "Are you ok dear,I would love to help but I am nearly 80" so I have learnt never be laid back in any situation not even when it comes to the quiet rbbs...:)

Bang on the money there RBB, if not for adrenalin concentration levels could lapse at the most inopportune time. Well brought up.

Adrenaline makes the heart beat faster, in snake bite first aid you want to remain still, calm and relaxed...this is to slow the spread of the venom by slowing down the rate of the body.....by the administration of an epipen you are counter acting these effects and causing the venom move faster through your body.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Can't this be countered by proper first aid? Doesn't snake venom work through the lymphatic system and not the blood?

Can't this be countered by proper first aid? Doesn't snake venom work through the lymphatic system and not the blood?

That is correct. The lymphatic system also uses movement of the human body to "flow". But then again, there are a hell of a lot of different venoms out there and different ways in which they affect the body.

I had an experience similar to that. I was out releasing a large western when i was first getting into snake catching. I hooked it out of the plastic tub it was in then it flew off the hook and over my shoulder. It flew a good ten meters further when i launched the hook away from me as fast as i possibly could. It was a genuine wake up call that i certainly don't know everything.

glad to hear your ok! my goodness ur girlfriend must have been scared to. hope she is doing ok as well!

You may have confused the quoted shelf life of 8 MONTHS, not 8 hours

Yes venomous does travel through the lymphatic system but the speed at which the lymphatic system operates is controlled by the heart rate.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back