Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the case of Sdaji it was the ambo's making comments on the TV....clearly this is not keeping peoples information private, and yes of course there are people monitoring the frequencies, this is how they get news....so what are we to do as keepers of vens? Get our loved ones to drive us to hospital?.....this may not always be the best option, there are privacy laws, these should have some impact on the details that can be given out by the media!

Wow, I wonder how it happened? Sometimes you may think why are they licenced if they are careless enought to get bitten. Lucky it wasn't something more deadly.

With correct first aid and medical treatment how deadly it is matters little. There's stuff all difference between a fierce snake and a gwardar bite, left untreated they both can and will kill you.

I don't remember who said that catching vens isn't about the adrenalin rush... I'll put my flame suit on but for me that's a huge part of it. I love the rush of fear that i get, i compare it to extreme sports. I'll never forget the buzz i got when i tailed my first angry western. That doesn't mean i take unnecessary risks, I think having a healthy fear of things that can kill you is very very important.

Its solely an individual decision by what means you go to hospital. If you go by Ambo's i dont think anyone would criticize you for it. I sincerely hope they wouldnt. Ambo's have my full respect. I have nothing but praise for them. The Media listening in on emergency services radio traffic is the problem!

I was under the impression that the ambos made statements ect after sdaji had gone public with bite..
I might be wrong...
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt...-b0adeadb590d&fg=rss&from=imbot_en-au_general
Im sure they are not allowed to contact papers everytime they have an interesting story,
i may be wrong here to.
The headline of "SNAKEBITE" is an attractive one for journos because it's a bit different and evokes a lot of emotions,,A bit like a dog attack..
Im sure you forfiet your right to privacy when you agree to media interviews.

If it can still kill you what difference does it make?

So inhaling smoke, from a ciggarette can kill you. But slowly. But inhaling toxic fumes, which can kill in no time at all... But hey.. what difference does it make?

Is this what you mean?

I wish people would either tell the whole story or shut up.
NO it was NOT John from Just Reptiles either.
How many other snake handlers are having their name bandied about with all the rumours.

-Peter: I haven't spoken to Williams about epipens, but as you'd expect, I've spoken to quite a few people about them lately. If you keep venomous snakes or have anything to do with them, get yourself an epipen and keep it handy, including when you're in the field. You're mad not to. If you go into anaphylaxis you can be dead within 10 minutes. If I was with someone who was going into serious anaphylaxis and I knew medical help was more than 5-10 minutes away (which is almost always going to be the case in the field), I wouldn't hesitate to use the epipen on them. Sure, there's a chance the epipen might kill them, but it's a heck of a lot smaller than the chance of them being killed by anaphylaxis, and you're highly likely to save their life. If it's clear the anaphylaxis is going to kill them, why wouldn't you give them (or yourself) the shot?

As for the paramedics, yes, they do sometimes unethically give our peoples' information, which is absolutely disgusting. When you've just been through something which is serious enough to make it into the news, you and your loved ones are probably going through a pretty traumatic time and the last thing you want is the media exposure, let alone people knowing about the details of your symptoms, especially when they are not even correct. In my case it wasn't all that bad as I made a full recovery extremely quickly and wasn't concerned about my own health or safety by the time the reports were out. The media reports were the most difficult thing for me and my loved ones to deal with, especially when the paramedics who were on the scene exaggerated the story in front of the television camera, presumably so they'd look 'cool' ("Look at me, I was there when something interesting happened!"). When someone exaggerates a story about the fish he caught while talking to his mates at the pub, it really doesn't matter. When he exaggerates your symptoms on national television, your friends and family go into panic. When I see paramedics on the news now, talking about peoples' personal details, I understand the problem in a way which had never before ocurred to me, and I see how serious it is.

Contrary to popular belief, I didn't want to be in the spotlight, I was refusing to communicate with the media for hours, until the reports were going out about me being close to death/soon to die after being "attacked" by a snake, etc etc. At that point I saw that it was necessary to show people that I was completely fine, happy to bounce around, joke and laugh with camera crews, and that the bite was my fault entirely, rather than me being the poor helpless victim of a monster we should all fear and kill.

The vultures who listen to the emergency frequencies and give out personal details are worse, but sometimes the paramedics are deplorable. I'm sure it's only a very few bad apples spoiling things though, and most of them are brilliant people doing a brilliant job, out of the spotlight.

If not for anaphylaxis, if I was in the same situation again I would drive myself to hospital rather than get an ambulance, partly to save taxpayer dollars and partly to prevent the story escaping. Not only is the media attention damaging to people, but giving them a reason to fear calling 000 is a serious safety issue. I certainly would never, ever criticise someone for choosing to take an ambulance though. At the end of the day, staying alive is the most important thing.

Gillsy: I see you still can't spell, but it's good to see you're capable of letting other people help you with it ;)

I was under the impression that the ambos made statements ect after sdaji had gone public with bite..
I might be wrong...
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt...-b0adeadb590d&fg=rss&from=imbot_en-au_general
Im sure they are not allowed to contact papers everytime they have an interesting story,
i may be wrong here to.
The headline of "SNAKEBITE" is an attractive one for journos because it's a bit different and evokes a lot of emotions,,A bit like a dog attack..
Im sure you forfiet your right to privacy when you agree to media interviews.

Watch the news, this happens every week. Often the paramedics talk to the television crews while the victim is still unconcious, or even if they died. It's not unusual to see the actual victims on the television before they've even regained consciousness, while their loved ones are still in tears and unaware of their surroundings. Sometimes you even see people on the news completely in shock or in tears, screaming or sulking requests/demands for the cameras to be taken away. Compared to that, my story is nothing, and those people have my deepest sympathies.

sssssnakeman: Yes, the paramedics did talk to the media after I had done so, but they also did it while I was still refusing to speak to the media, and before I even knew the media had heard about it. My choice would have been for the media to get none of the story, but that choice was taken away from me. After it became necessary for me to deal with the media I still don't think it's okay for the paramedics to talk to them about the symptoms I experienced. What I do and don't want people to know about the symptoms I experienced is my business, not theirs; if I saw a few words about the story it doesn't give them the right to give out more information than I've told, and I certainly didn't want exaggerated versions being told - nothing excuses that.

Perhaps it's worth saying that many of the media folks I met that day were a lot of fun, I quite enjoyed working with most of them. They're not all bad either :)

sssssnakeman:
Perhaps it's worth saying that many of the media folks I met that day were a lot of fun, I quite enjoyed working with most of them. They're not all bad either :)

But they all have bad streaks in them and nearly all of them would stab their own grandmother in the back for a good story. Doesn't mean they aren't likable people though.

So inhaling smoke, from a ciggarette can kill you. But slowly. But inhaling toxic fumes, which can kill in no time at all... But hey.. what difference does it make?

Is this what you mean?

No it's not what I mean, an adder bite can kill you much quicker then slowly.

ERRRRRRRM .........if you obtain a permit to keep vens or have a damage mit permit then YOU SHOULD know the risks and be able to take every precaution known when handling vens, what alot of non ven keepers think is ridiculous.......we dont do it to get bitten we are not thrill seekers and certainly do not go in blind when either catching or keeping vens ,we are aware that they can kill us.....BUT its our own interests and pashion that keeps us doing it and we dont need some halfwit commenting on a subject that they know nothing about .......if keeping vens are not your idea of a hobby thats your choice ,but dont make stupid comments about us that do ......as I have seen more stupidity done with pythons then any other snake .you would never get a elapid keeper asking HAS ANYBODY BEEN BITTEN ON THE EYEBALL....... think before you make a statement especially if you have not got a clue what your talking about.......

Here here. Not currently licenced for vens, but am studying hard and will be undergoing courses throughout the remainder of the year. What a lot of people (not necessarily herp loving or understanding) is the fact the ven keepers do not just do it for a hobby. I know my interests are scientific/educational. The more we can learn about our venomous snakes and animals the better we will be as a community.

Do't forget it is the dangerous nature of our venomous snakes and the unfortunate victims in the past which have caused the current attitude towards all snakes by our uneducated community.

What we need, and I keep saying this in these sorts of threads is an education campaign designed for school kids before they are taught the message all snakes are dangerous. I know I will cop flack for that remark, but what I mean by it is a healthy understanding learned by our children in schools at a young age.

My daughter is six and if ever asked by any person what to do if she ever sees a snake in the wild she will respond calmly "Stop, stand like a tree, assess what the snake is doing and carefully retreat away from it and inform an adult".

If more kids grow up learning a snake is not out there to hunt down and kill everyone they see, then maybe we can improve the reputation of our hobby.

In relation to ven keepers getting bitten. I would love to see the statistics on how many people own ven, how many vens are actually owned and how many bites occur. Per capita and based on the number of ven keepers I can only assume that it is no where near the amount killed and injured in motor vehicle accidents.

Well, that is my two-cents worth guys, flame as you see fit, but that is my opinion.

Cheers

FNQ_Snake

not all is private anyway. not much is missed with a good uhf police scanner with all 20 emergency service channels : ).

Well said. Less bites or atleast keeping the bites quiet and without media hype is better for the animals and Elapid keepers in the long run.
I spent 7 days in Intensive Care & 7 days in General Ward, 4 blood transfusions with 5 weeks Kidney Dialysis ( Acute Renal Failure) from a Notechis Scutatus bite Oct. 2007.
It took 29 years to take a bite from a Ven. then it only happened when i picked the "bagged" tiger snake up with thumb under knot instead of picking it up above the knot; can you believe that? I tell you now it is truth! Beautiful/placid snake i'd had for 4 years but very food conscious.
My incident did not even make the local paper (that is because my wife took me to hospital, not Ambo's) if i'd gone to hospital by Ambo it wouldve been in the news for 2 weeks. It was the sole reason why i didnt use Ambo's to go to the hospital. Venomous or non venomous dont need bad media publicity.
My hospital stay did draw a number of medical authourities from Melb. on numerous occasions to monitor me as a case study thou.
If you keep vens. sooner or latter you will get nailed!! The probable cause will be lax in concentration or over confident.

Thats the way to play it, keep a low profile. I can believe it, had tigers latch onto the inside of bags in the past, most often under the knot trying to get out :lol: Tigers have copped a lot of flack in the past, truth be known they can be some of the most placid, easy to handle snakes around.

Jordan

Lay off the ambos, I'd trust their judgement over most people on this site anyday.

I just realised that this may have been misconstrued, It was a statement of support for ambulance officers in general not at any particular member of this forum.

ERRRRRRRM .........if you obtain a permit to keep vens or have a damage mit permit then YOU SHOULD know the risks and be able to take every precaution known when handling vens, what alot of non ven keepers think is ridiculous.......we dont do it to get bitten we are not thrill seekers and certainly do not go in blind when either catching or keeping vens ,we are aware that they can kill us.....BUT its our own interests and pashion that keeps us doing it and we dont need some halfwit commenting on a subject that they know nothing about .......if keeping vens are not your idea of a hobby thats your choice ,but dont make stupid comments about us that do ......as I have seen more stupidity done with pythons then any other snake .you would never get a elapid keeper asking HAS ANYBODY BEEN BITTEN ON THE EYEBALL....... think before you make a statement especially if you have not got a clue what your talking about.......

Hahaha as someone mentioned earlier! This is sooo on the money! Brilliant RBB!! :lol: :lol:

urodacus_au; [I said:
Thats the way to play it, keep a low profile. I can believe it, had tigers latch onto the inside of bags in the past, most often under the knot trying to get out :lol: Tigers have copped a lot of flack in the past, truth be known they can be some of the most placid, easy to handle snakes around.

Jordan[/i]

urodacus

WRONG!! The tiger "nailed" me thru the bag because he was food conscious not because he was trying to get out !
Putting my thumb under the knot when i picked the bag up - instead of picking it up above the knot was my mistake. Anyone experienced with tigers know how food conscious they are & their eyesight!!! :?

well Peter and Sadji,thanks for the info will be seeking a epi-pen after reading that .I think the docs theory was that me suffering asthma ,might give me the wrong sign if having a reaction or just a plain attack if you know what i am trying to say BUT either way I still cant breathe ,so all pre-cautions shall be taken .....and yeah sadji most of my call outs are from 55kms to 10kms away from the hospital.......so bit scary .......we do get care flight choppers when needed in my local town as the nearest hospital being Gympie is at least 55kms away.,,,but if in Gympie at a call out, well a ambo would come........

urodacus_au; [I said:

Jordan[/i]

urodacus

WRONG!! The tiger "nailed" me thru the bag because he was food conscious not because he was trying to get out !
Putting my thumb under the knot when i picked the bag up - instead of picking it up above the knot was my mistake. Anyone experienced with tigers know how food conscious they are & their eyesight!!! :?

What exactly was wrong about what i posted? I havent bagged too many wild tigers and had them bite due to feeding response :lol: Settle down, merely pointing out that i have had experience with tigers biting through bags. Like i said, im dealing with wild animals that are being relocated, strangely enough they arent generally in the mood for a quick lunch after being caught and bagged up :? And yes it was your mistake, not doubting it, maybe you should be more careful in future :lol:

Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back